baumer

Baby Driver (2017)

Grade it  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Well. Im putting two and two together. So in the film....hes dead imo.

I disagree. To me it was just the kind of random thing a thug like Bernthal's character would say, nothing more.

Also, Spacey's character says he almost never works with the same people twice (except Baby), so it's not a shock Bernthal isn't there for the postal job.

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I disagree. To me it was just the kind of random thing a thug like Bernthal's character would say, nothing more.

Also, Spacey's character says he almost never works with the same people twice (except Baby), so it's not a shock Bernthal isn't there for the postal job.

And yet he worked with Foxx, Hamm and hot Spanish chick again.  

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

And yet he worked with Foxx, Hamm and hot Spanish chick again.  

Because Hamm and Foxx are better known actors and Gonzalez was part of the Hamm deal. :P

But seriously, I just think you're reading more into Bernthal's line than intended.

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Because Hamm and Foxx are better known actors and Gonzalez was part of the Hamm deal. :P

But seriously, I just think you're reading more into Bernthal's line than intended.

Well, I think Wright thinks about these things too.  

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Maybe he could've thought about the actual characters more. :ph34r: 

Don't you know Baby has a huge heart despite straight up murdering Jamie Foxx just cause he's annoying? :ph34r:

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Don't you know Baby has a huge heart despite straight up murdering Jamie Foxx just cause he's annoying? :ph34r:

38 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Maybe he could've thought about the actual characters more. :ph34r: 

Seeing this just reminded me of these two-

300?cb=20060116235551

:lol:

• Like 2

The movie is okay. It was stylish. Very little character development. Baby was okay. His girlfriend had not story developments nor did anyone in the film. Kevin Spacey randomly turned out to be good guy. If he was so good why not let Baby just quit and not let him quiet. 

• Like 2

All snark aside, Kevin Spacey's third-act turn really bothered me. It made no sense from a character perspective and it seemed terribly awkward. I also didn't buy for a second that Foxx would've let Kevin Williams live (whether Hamm was with him or not). 

I've been dissing on it generally, so I'll reiterate that the action was wonderfully staged and shot, and the movie is tremendously thrilling during those action set-pieces (perhaps the end set-piece aside).

• Like 6

On 6/28/2017 at 4:34 PM, Telemachos said:

First 15 min or so.... I was close to asking the driver to pull over so I could get out. 

(Next 30 min or so)

....going up an incline. Are we there yet?

(Next 45 min or so)

Moving and grooving. Okay, the trip is fun....

(Last 15 min or so)

....until the driver spun out and smashed into the off ramp barrels. What a mess. 

B-/C+ or thereabouts

I hate you. 

13 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

All snark aside, Kevin Spacey's third-act turn really bothered me. It made no sense from a character perspective and it seemed terribly awkward. I also didn't buy for a second that Foxx would've let Kevin Williams live (whether Hamm was with him or not). 

I've been dissing on it generally, so I'll reiterate that the action was wonderfully staged and shot, and the movie is tremendously thrilling during those action set-pieces (perhaps the end set-piece aside).

I felt like there was a scene missing for Spacey. He sees Baby tells him to get lost. See the girl again who he has already met. He okay I will die for you Baby. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the characters for the ham and thought they served their purpose.  The highlight of the movie was being a tech showpiece, there were a few awkward character decisions but I hardly hold it against the movie.

I don't see how it's much different from Fury Road, while the characters are more well formed in that one, they aren't anything to write home about (nor is the story), but it's not about that.  Fury Road is excellent for how well shot and put together it is on a technical level.

Itd be like watching acting showcases like Fences or Manchester by the Sea and praising the acting but saying they're technically lacking so they aren't good movies.  They're just meant to show off the actors and screenwriters.

I guess if the characters were detractions then that'd be different, but I found them serviceable for what Baby Driver is.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Well, that's probably a handy summation of how you feel about FURY ROAD and how I do. :lol: 

Fury Road is in my top 100 of all-time.  I'm not saying Baby Driver is as good as Fury Road, I'm just saying it's a technical showcase more than a thematic one.  I'm judging it for what it is trying to be, and minus a few flubs, it's a perfectionist piece of work.

I wouldn't want every movie to be like Baby Driver, but I'm glad it got made how it was.

I would've ended up in the B range except I didn't care for the third act. I'm hardly hating on it -- I was just uninvested enough in the characters to care more than just an intellectual (and occasionally visceral) reaction to the action. 

I can't remember who I was saying this to -- maybe @Water Bottle? -- but I have to have *some* sort of emotional connection. It doesn't even need to be well-rounded characters, I just need to like them or (in rarer cases, the genre or situations) enough to overcome that obstacle. I didn't care about Baby in the slightest. He felt like he never rose above a walking (and occasionally talking) gimmick.

Personally, I feel like there's a whole slew of genre movies that've come out that are sensational when it comes to action scenes yet so woeful in the character front that I feel really lukewarm toward the movie overall.

This is just the latest example. 

• Like 5

btw, there's an amusing back-and-forth going on in my Twitter timeline because one of the conservative anti-Trumpers I follow -- Tom Nichols -- didn't much care for BD. His quibbles -- and his replies to the Twitter crowd trying to defend the film -- are large and small. But most for the most part I agree with him, amusingly. 

6 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Or maybe because Foxx put a gun in his face twice....or because he murdered the security truck guy...or because he was going to kill Deborah in the diner.  Could be these reasons as well.  

• Like 1