Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Batman Begins didn't even make half of that it's opening weekend and Lego Batman made $50M OW so no we don't know whether Batman would do it. 

I'm not sure why you listed these two.  Animated Batman isn't live action Batman. Batman Begins was a decade ago.  I'm talking about 2017.  If The Batman starring Ben Affleck came out this Summer it would have a $120M OW.  

• Like 1

Wonder Woman is now only $9 million behind Guardians 2 at the same point, but after the 5th weekend G2 started to get great legs. WW is going to face a massive opener in each of the next 3 weekends: Spider-man, Apes, and of course, Valerian.

I think it's going to be an exciting race between the 2. Great year for comic book movies. :hi5:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm just happy the movie itself is failing, the toy sales dwindling would just be the icing on the cake. :D

No offense, but anybody who is genuinely happy that a movie made primarily for kids is failing needs to get a life. This isn't about you, or me, or any of the other adults here.

This is the one thing I despise about movie buffs. Some of them feel like the world revolves around them. Every movie, even a freaking kids movie, has to be made for them.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm not sure why you listed these two.  Animated Batman isn't live action Batman. Batman Begins was a decade ago.  I'm talking about 2017.  If The Batman starring Ben Affleck came out this Summer it would have a $120M OW.  

You said it having Spider-Man in its name should assure it to opening over $120M. 

Lego Batman came out this year. Batman is in that name. It didn't open to $120M. 

And Batman Begins came out when the original Spider-man franchise was in full force soooo yea there's nothing automatic about $120M+ OWs

Also you have zero proof that shows a Ben Affleck Batman that comes out this summer would open to $120M. 

Edited by Nova

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

No offense, but anybody who is genuinely happy that a movie made primarily for kids is failing needs to get a life. This isn't about you, or me, or any of the other adults here.

This is the one thing I despise about movie buffs. Some of them feel like the world revolves around them.

Save the personal attacks for someone else,  I'm not bothered by them.  Pixar needs to do better.  I'm not a fan of movies that are made for no other reason than to sell merchandise. The first priority should be to make a good movie.  I'll never stan for blatant cash grabs and minimal effort. 

lol at this section of the boxoffice.com weekend write-up

“We’re the highest-grossing animated film of the year, and we anticipate we’ll probably stay #1 as the biggest opening film of 2017 for quite some time,” Universal’s President of Domestic Distribution Nick Carpou tells Boxoffice in an interview. “It’s an indicator that the public really anticipated this, which is a testament to expectations and tremendous marketing. We couldn’t be happier, for what it is and what it represents.”

Actually, Universal could be at least a little happier, since this installment does represent a financial downturn for the franchise, starting 9.7 percent behind Despicable Me 2 and a sharper 38.4 percent behind spinoff Minions. However, that comparison might be slightly unfair because this year’s extended Independence Day weekend means much of the film’s audience will attend on Monday and Tuesday, rather than just Friday through Sunday.

• Community Manager
37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wouldn't surprise if The Beguiled's low-ish score is from people who were expecting more of a horror flick (which it most certainly is not) based on the marketing.

It's also not a friendly GA film. It's very slow and subtle.

At my screening of The Beguiled, I sat within earshot of a 60s-ish couple that kept on asking one another what was going on. The plot is so minimal that it isn't especially hard to follow, but audiences that expect constant plot advancement aren't going to take well to its slow-burn approach.

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

You said it having Spider-Man in its name should assure it to opening over $120M. 

Sorry next time I'll make sure to put live action,  I wouldn't predict the upcoming Spider-Man animated film to do $120M.  Batman vs. Superman with horrible reviews and coming off a Man of Steel that was divisive did $166M OW.  That is roughly $45M  more than Man of Steel.  Most of the marketing was Batman, Batman, Batman.  I think it would do $120M.  

Wonder Woman coming off a cameo in BvS did $103M.   Spider-Man coming off a cameo in Civil War should absolutely do more than WW.  It has positive reviews and it's extremely kid friendly. Spider-Man is much more popular than WW. 

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Save the personal attacks for someone else,  I'm not bothered by them.  Pixar needs to do better.  I'm not a fan of movies that are made for no other reason than to sell merchandise. The first priority should be to make a good movie.  I'll never stan for blatant cash grabs and minimal effort. 

It's a kids movie! Who cares? We get more than enough quality films from Pixar that appeal to us adults. So what if Cars is a more kid-centric, merchandise based franchise? My point is YOU, as a (hopefully) mature, self-respecting adult shouldn't concern yourself too much with the this, much less gain satisfaction from its failures.

Again: this movie is not made for YOU!

Edited by JB33

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It's a kids movie! Who cares? We get more than enough quality films from Pixar that appeal to us adults. So what if Cars is a more kid-centric, merchandise based franchise? My point is YOU, as a (hopefully) mature, self-respecting adult shouldn't concern yourself too much with the success of CARS 3, much less gain satisfaction from its failures.

Thing is that there's no failure on a film made to sell $3B in merchandise, which is why Cars movies are made for ... sell merchandise: no Academy Awards expectations, no boxoffice records expectations... even if the movie made $0 zero dollars box office, it would still be a success in the numbers, since Disney wouldn't loose money on it. I think that's what annoys that person so much. 

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

It's a kids movie! Who cares? We get more than enough quality films from Pixar that appeal to us adults. So what if Cars is a more kid-centric, merchandise based franchise? My point is YOU, as a (hopefully) mature, self-respecting adult shouldn't concern yourself too much with the success of CARS 3, much less gain satisfaction from its failures.

You're acting like I have an issue with kids enjoying themselves at the movies or that I need every movie to be made specifically for me. I don't.  If you read my posts last year about Secret Life of Pets it's not my thing but for a kids movie I thought it was a great idea and I was happy to see it do well.  So right there that tells you I don't need these movies to be for me.  My issue is with Pixar and Disney putting out this BS of a movie for no other reason than to sell more toys,  it's corporate greed and there is no effort into making it a good movie.  So yes, I am happy that the movie is falling hard. 

2 hours ago, Blankments said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

I need Pete Docter to remain making his stuff :(

Keyword is rumor Blank

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

At my screening of The Beguiled, I sat within earshot of a 60s-ish couple that kept on asking one another what was going on. The plot is so minimal that it isn't especially hard to follow, but audiences that expect constant plot advancement aren't going to take well to its slow-burn approach.

They should watch Twin Peaks :redcapes: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

You're acting like I have an issue with kids enjoying themselves at the movies or that I need every movie to be made specifically for me. I don't.  If you read my posts last year about Secret Life of Pets it's not my thing but for a kids movie I thought it was a great idea and I was happy to see it do well.  So right there that tells you I don't need these movies to be for me.  My issue is with Pixar and Disney putting out this BS of a movie for no other reason than to sell more toys,  it's corporate greed and there is no effort into making it a good movie.  So yes, I am happy that the movie is falling hard. 

Fine, fair enough. Maybe I'm just naive and not looking at the franchise as a purely merchandise cash cow. But if that's your reason and you truly believe it, then power to you. I thought it was more of a "I don't like Cars, it's stupid, so I'm glad it's failing" thing.

Even if Cars movies sell merchandise, I'm guessing that even that revenue stream is dwindling in light of what the current movie's doing at the box office. We all act like we know what the bean counters at Disney think, but we don't.

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I am literally astonished watching this thread the last days, seeing how much hate one can have for a thing as harmless as a kids movie.

Okay so Spider-Man and the Batman movies,  really every Marvel and DC movie made goes on to sell millions of dollars worth of merchandise to kids, fanboys, teens, etc.  Because they know that they will make tons of money anyway REGARDLESS of what the movie is,  does that mean they should stop trying? Does that mean they should just put out terrible thoughtless films because 'hey, who cares, we're making a billion off merch anyway!" 

I'm not co-signing that.  You can.