Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

36 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

In CU case I don't think it helped that Fox seemed to have no confidence in the film. They embargoed reviews two days before release despite them actually turning out to fairly positive. 

It was their last film in the DWA contract so they did the bare minimum, even the first trailer was only two months before release. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

It was their last film in the DWA contract so they did the bare minimum, even the first trailer was only two months before release. 

They spent a good amount on advertisement technically, but yeah Fox didn't have much to lose it on anyway. Shame, though I'm not surprised.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Historically speaking, it is most common for the top film of the summer to tower over the rest by a wide margin.

DH2 did about 29M more than TF3 in 2011 so there's a recent exception. 

Interestingly, that was also the last year before the consistent superhero/animation domination of summer since 2012 (JW in 2015 being the sole film to buck the trend).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Barnack said:

After VHS became popular I think you are right, only Force Awaken came close (is it close enough to not make Titanic unique ? it would still have a very different performance pattern anyway in term of legs versus first weekend).

Force Awaken

Awaken Box office: 936m (966.47m after inflation)

2015 Yearly box office: $11,129.4

Awaken vs the year total BO ratio: 936 / 11,129 = 0.084

Box office movie average for the movie ranked #2-11: 326.32m

Awaken ratio versus the next 10 biggest movie of the year bo average: 2.86 (it would be of 3.22 without Jurassic World massive bo)

Titanic

Titanic Box office: 600.788 (916.09m after inflation)

1997 yearly box office: $6,365.9

Titanic vs the year total BO ratio: 600.788 / 6,365.9= 0.094

Box office movie average for the movie ranked #2-11: 162.42m

Titanic ratio versus the next 10 biggest movie of the year bo average: 3.7

Titanic performance is very comparable to the performance of E.T. in 1982 (and I think people have made the same type of exercise with Gone with the wind, Star wars and Sound of music to find very similar number between all those gigantic run in term of market share, with Gone with the wind being the best by a little bit):

E.T.

ET Bo: 359.2m (910.96m after inflation)

1982 yearly box office: 3,453.0

ET ratio vs the year total BO : 359.2 / 3,453.0 =  0.104

Box office movie average for the movie #2-11: 95.176m

ET ratio versus the next 10 biggest movie of the year bo average: 3.77

Thanks for the very good analysis, is what i really i´m here, i love this kind of data.

Anyway, which is your source for the inflation adjusted films?

cause BOM says another thing for Titanic and  E.T. adjusted number.

Even in tickets sold i´ve read that Titanic is like 125 million against  between  95/110 TFA...

11 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't really get the comparison between Wonder Woman and Zootopia. On average animated movies have better legs than superhero movies. I'm comparing Wonder Woman to other superhero movies.

To be fair,WW has played more like a family/animated film (and in many cases better than them) than a Superhero film.

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bonenash said:

man it s me or the serveur is shit since 2 3 days akways buffering and i have cheched it s just here.... all is all right?

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Yep. Its been shit for me too.

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Yeah it's been horrible for weeks but really bad the last week or so. 

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Same here. 

Mine's been running just fine with occasional hiccups (which could be attributed to my somewhat unstable wi-fi).

2 hours ago, setna said:

Thanks for the very good analysis, is what i really i´m here, i love this kind of data.

Anyway, which is your source for the inflation adjusted films?

cause BOM says another thing for Titanic and  E.T. adjusted number.

Even in tickets sold i´ve read that Titanic is like 125 million against  between  95/110 TFA...

I simply used money inflation over those time frame:

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

To give a rough idea of the money grossed performance.