Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I totally overpredicted DM3 for the summer game.

But how was I supposed to know marketing was going to nosedive after the impressive, first trailer?

YourMother's Theories #1073: The Shrek 4 effect

DM and Shrek were very similar in terms of box office. Both had a breakout first film, an overperforming sequel, and a "third" film that's way bigger than the first but has negative reception and is under the second one. Both Shrek 4 and DM3 had very limited appeal outside families and it's fanbase with little to no twists left in store.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

So, is Baby Driver the new Mad Max? I'm surprised that I'm not seeing a lot of enthusiasm here considering the RT score.

I can't wait to watch it, a breath of fresh air on an awful summer. 

Maybe more people will see it after this weekend. It is a very good movie.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

He seem to be attached to way too many movie to be semi-retired (and those are movies you never say yes to if you do not need to do movie, for money or other reason, like the type of movie other retired actor like DDL or Jack Nicholson end up getting out to do)

And he is probably not getting offered much of anything outside direct to dvd type of movie or other small project with some special type of financier (otherwise he would not do those).

He work/get attached to a lot of projects :

12/31/2017 Death Wish   $0 $0 $0
12/31/2017 First Kill   $0 $0 $0
6/6/2017 Once Upon a Time in Venice Steve  $0 $214,425 $214,425
12/31/2016 Untitled Bruce Willis Action Comedy   $0 $0 $0
12/31/2016 Untitled Woody Allen Project   $0 $0 $0
12/31/2016 Magic City   $0 $0 $0
12/31/2016 Wake   $0 $0 $0
7/1/2016 Marauders   $0 $920,156 $920,156
4/22/2016 Precious Cargo Eddie  $0 $575,822 $575,822
12/18/2015 Extraction Leonard  $16,775 $959,051 $975,826
10/23/2015 Rock the Kasbah Bombay Brian  $3,020,665 $336,605 $3,357,270
1/16/2015 Vice Julian  $0 $0 $0
8/22/2014 The Prince Omar  $0 $0 $0

Almost none of is movie achieved to make over 1 million world  expect not much more for First Kill and Death Wish ( I needed to check for most of those with 0 if they were real existing movie, seem to be). Some even had considerable budget like The Prince (18 million):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince_(2014_film)

He got a really good last chance with a broadway project and Woody Allen movie, but he was apparently fired by him (replaced by Steve Carell in Café Society) and it seem that was pretty much the end of is serious theatrical movie days:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/It-Sounds-Like-Bruce-Willis-Was-Fired-By-Woody-Allen-79807.html

I never thought I'd see the day where Bruce Willis would be limited to DTV.

He must've burned too many bridges.

• Like 2

Not surprised DM3 isn't shattering any barriers. It's been following Shrek pretty closely with Minions as Shrek the Third and this one as Shrek 4. Clearly 80 mil means the brand still carries weight, and it has the family market to itself through August. 

Baby's been having solid daily holds so far. Only wide release I currently give a damn about right now (that and if WW can hit 400). Let's make allllll that money :) 

Transformers might miss 125 mil domestic

• Like 6

Accounting for Canada Day can see.

30 + 27 + 24.3 = 81.3

Just gave 10% drops on Sat and Sun.

-PETS (July) showed a 4% drop on OW Sat. Was an original on a normal Sat opposed to one affected by Canada Day.

CARS3 dropped 7% in OW. Using 10% for DM3 cause Sats will be softer this weekend.

-DORY in the 2nd weekend was on Canada Day and dropped 11.5% on Sun. So ~10% drop for DM3 could happen.

I think unless the Fri goes north of 30, 85 is tough for DM3.

9 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I wouldn't call it an awful Summer. July's looking to be top notch quality wise. Was planning on seeing Baby Driver tonight but a family emergency changed plans. Hoping to catch it next week before Homecoming.

I think I'm just tired of these unstoppable sequels, I just can't get excited anymore for the third/fourth/fifth sequel, especially when they're nothing but a repetition of everything we've seen before. The only summer movie (for now) that pleased me was Wonder Woman, and ICAN (but I can't even label this as a summer movie). You're right about July, although. Apes looks fantastic, so does Dunkirk, Annabelle also has a lot of potential. But last summer was a lot better with a lot of original Horror movies breaking out at same time.

• Like 2

Just now, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I think I'm just tired of these unstoppable sequels, I just can't get excited anymore for the third/fourth/fifth sequel, especially when they're nothing but a repetition of everything we've seen before. The only summer movie (for now) that pleased me was Wonder Woman, and ICAN (but I can't even label this as a summer movie). You're right about July, although. Apes looks fantastic, so does Dunkirk, Annabelle also has a lot of potential. But last summer was a lot better with a lot of original Horror movies breaking out at same time.

Yeah I'm hoping Horror this year is able to do as well as last year. Very glad to see Annabelle Creation is more along the lines of The Conjuring films rather than the original and given how barren August is I'm really rooting for it. I still wish WB released IT during the summer (maybe switch it's release date with Creation) because as a fan of the book it'd make the perfect summer horror movie. Although it's going to do well no matter what. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I never thought I'd see the day where Bruce Willis would be limited to DTV.

He must've burned too many bridges.

Glass will probably the last time we'll be interested in a Bruce Willis movie.

29 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Also, if anyone's interested, BOT Movie Night is being planned for tonight anywhere from 9-10 PM.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24259-bot-movie-night/

We also need people to make suggestions for what we should watch tonight (this can range from revered classics to worst movie of all time material).

update: Gonna try to aim for 8 EST instead.  Come at 7:40 EST if you wanna help pick out the movie.

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

@YourMother is there any Spider-man Homecoming spoiler, like a big surprise, that if you told a Marvel fan it would make him pissed at you? If there is, can you please PM me?

You aren't going to troll are you?

• Like 2

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

update: Gonna try to aim for 8 EST instead.  Come at 7:40 EST if you wanna help pick out the movie.

you guys should do Hard to be a God am I right @Telemachos  or am i right

• Like 1