Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

IT should be moved to early August at least!

That movie can make some serious money with a better release date!

Being in September is going to hurt it bad!

I don't think it's going to hurt it bad. But I feel it would have done better if they switched it and Annabelle:Creation's release dates.

So I guess the stage is set for a massive Homecoming breakout.

Great reviews.

Another Casting Coup from the Feige with Tom Holland.

Spiderman feels fresh and hip again for kids and teenagers.

Summer 2017 : A Tale of 3 CBM Movies ?

Looks like it.

Don't be mad when we have 10+ of those each year.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Great reviews.

Looks like it.

But, but, fatigue..... 

• Like 2

Just now, The Futurist said:

Great reviews.

Looks like it.

Nah, each year gets its own "big genre" - last year, animation was the can't miss one...we'll see what next year is...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

In a just world, Baby Driver would be on track for a $100 million weekend, packing auditoriums from coast to coast.

As is, however, it spent two summer weekdays at #1 and will have no trouble becoming Edgar Wright's biggest mainstream hit to date, all without sacrificing the spirit that created his devoted niche audience in the first place. But it would be really damn nice to somehow see it break out and make a run at $100 million. Come on, America: let's make it happen!

Maybe he should make a better movie.

:ph34r: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YourMother said:

I agree. I even have an Emoji over Cloudy 2 club ($119.7M). I think if it has great reviews like 70%+ it'll do $150M. DM3 and C3 were peaked sequels and sadly CU had limited appeal. With 90%, $200M can happen.

This is Sony Pictures Animation, they haven't had a critically acclaimed film since Cloudy 1. I think matching Smurfs 1 or HT1 is more likely than $200m. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Great reviews.

Looks like it.

Summer 2017: Watch franchises die as your wait for people in spandex to make all the money.

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Well we will be getting at least one non supherhero blockbuster in summer 2019

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/top-gun-maverick-release-date-set-2019-1018374

They're very ballsy releasing Top Gun 2 between SLOP 2 and Spider-Man the week before and The Lion King the week after. Surprised they didn't go for August or even October.

• Like 1

Rotten Tomatoes has definitely taken on a more prominent role in the mainstream than I ever guessed it would as a hip, smug, movie-savvy teenage internet user in the mid-2000s, but there is still such a thing as a critic-proof smash. Case in point: Suicide Squad, which opened huge and had somewhat decent late legs despite enduring a whipping from most critics. That being said, abysmal RT scores do sink movies that are on the bubble between breaking out and doing ho-hum business. I have no doubt that poor scores torpedoed both Pirates and Baywatch (relative to each film's potential, of course) over Memorial Day weekend.

Either way, I'm still glad to feel hip as a frequent Metacritic user who has barely glanced at RT in the last 11 years... B)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, narniadis said:

Yeah @YourMother and I talked a lot about that last year, particularly since the last time a cool down happened it also involved a Cars film. 

I think animation in 2018 will rebound, although the first half is extremely barren, Incredibles 2 will massively benefit. Maybe Peter Rabbit too.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Animation in 2018 seems like a good rebound. Incredibles 2 could be a slightly smaller Dory and do $450M. Grinch will blow past $300M, Ralph 2 and Animated Spider-Man will be in the same range ($180M-$220M), Hotel Transylvania 3 will do well but decrease from 2 to about $145M. However the first half of the year outside of Peter Rabbit, no animated film has a shot for $100M. Early Man and Laika's untitled film will do sub $50M, Gnomes will do Storks numbers at best, and Stubby will be lucky for $20M. And Anubis just got pushed back to the TBD area.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1