Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You mean that year when they panicked and let a trailer company edit a film after their uber expensive guaranteed billion dollar film died after rancid word of mouth opening weekend? 

While this is in fact the truth, those were both still hugely successful movies.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

While this is in fact the truth, those were both still hugely successful movies.

Suicide Squad more so than BvS but yes they made money. The last Transformers movie also made a billion worldwide and the new one is well...not going to get anywhere near those kinds of numbers.

Look at this summer.

Warner is probably making the DCEU their priority so this is a big endeavor.

Skipping next summer would be wise.

Rumor has it they want to relase 3 or 4 movies a year.

Maybe Comic Con will give us answers.

Edited by The Futurist

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Suicide Squad more so than BvS but yes they made money. The last Transformers movie also made a billion worldwide and the new one is well...not going to get anywhere near those kinds of numbers.

I don't think you can compare Transformers to the DCEU though. Maybe if WW was poorly received then you could but it's not an exaggeration when someone says WW saved that franchise 

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

There is a clear amount of sexism with film journalism too, especially within the comments section on these this reviews. I'm taking a film criticism precollege course while up here in NYC, and our teacher is a freelance writer who has written for multiple publications.  She's a feminist and she writes for some...well, let's just say they're nerd sites.  This, obviously, is not going to go well.  I looked up her reviews later, and while she does have some unpopular opinions (she did not like Arrival yet liked Suicide Squad), I could understand her points even if I disagreed with them.

I go to the comments section for a negative review she wrote on Doctor Strange, and there are just PAGES of vitriol about how she's not a comic fan, how she should just watch the movie for fun, etc.  They did not attempt to counter her arguments for the movie, but instead tried to discredit her.  This was even worse on the review for Passengers, which she hated.  People were making severely sexist remarks, saying how she's a "sexist feminist" (lol) and basically hurling insults at her.  This does not get better on any other reviews she's written for this site either!  It's really sad too, especially because I met this person just that day and she's actually really nice and well-spoken.  But hey, if comic book nerds feel the need to get mad at anything they want to without providing scything to counter any points made, then be my guest.  You'll just look more like a dumbass in the long run.

The easiest way to show you "have nothing" in a discussion is to resort to name calling and ad homonym attacks.  If your best refutation to an argument is "I can't disagree for any smart reason bu, bu, but, you suck", you come off as the idiot and the other person always comes off as the genius:).  Boards that are just acres of those kinda posts will literally make you dumber reading them...

But to continue further...

I also encourage folks to watch and think about movies themselves and not to actually rely on critics/RT scores as their evidence.  Those are better than ad homonym attack posts, but in a discussion, saying "I don't know why, but 50 critics agreed with me, so I gotta be right" is also not the best way to convince anyone of anything.  People respond to the people they are talking to best...especially if those people are displaying reason, thought, and a little humor (biggest secret to convincing anyone of anything is "a little sugar to make the medicine go down" - comedy can be that sugar:)...Baumer and I may have different tastes in most movies, but I learn a lot about the movies I didn't know just by reading his posts...and sometimes decide to watch them for myself!:)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

New Mutants is pretty much doing it and X3 famously went from nothing to release in under a year. Just because there is no public news doesn't mean there is no news, script work on GCS started a year ago and on Batgirl has been going since Joss came on board, there is also Nightwing which got a director 3 months ago, plenty of things can happen in 3 months. 

New Mutants was first announced 2 years back in 2015 with first draft of the script completed the same year. Casting started in 2016 before being officially announed in 2017 and production was to start in May. 

Dark Phoenix was hinted to put it mildly  before apocalypse opened last year. Kinberg started writing it last year. Casting has been nearly complete and filming has begun. Not to mention this opens in Novermber so has more time than if it were to open in Summer

Compare this to the 3 movies you mentioned where apart from the directors nothing has been reported or seen. There has been no news on the script. Casting has not even started yet much less production or filming. No doubt a lot can happen in 3 months and I am pretty sure the attached directors are working on the script and have in mind who they want to cast but compared to where the fox movies are these movies seem far far too behind in schedule. 

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

New Mutants was first announced 2 years back in 2015 with first draft of the script completed the same year. Casting started in 2016 before being officially announed in 2017 and production was to start in May. 

Dark Phoenix was hinted to put it mildly  before apocalypse opened last year. Kinberg started writing it last year. Casting has been nearly complete and filming has begun. Not to mention this opens in Novermber so has more time than if it were to open in Summer

Compare this to the 3 movies you mentioned where apart from the directors nothing has been reported or seen. There has been no news on the script. Casting has not even started yet much less production or filming. No doubt a lot can happen in 3 months and I am pretty sure the attached directors are working on the script and have in mind who they want to cast but compared to where the fox movies are these movies seem far far too behind in schedule. 

I am guessing we get the updated schedule at SDCC. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but the odds of WB just skipping summer seem way too small to me, which is why a July or August CBM is definitely possible. If announced at SDCC, that would mean prep work has been underway a long time and a year is enough time for a movie to start filming and finish post-prod, especially something more grounded in the GCS, Batgirl or Nightwing mold.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I am guessing we get the updated schedule at SDCC. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but the odds of WB just skipping summer seem way too small to me, which is why a July or August CBM is definitely possible. If announced at SDCC, that would mean prep work has been underway a long time and a year is enough time for a movie to start filming and finish post-prod, especially something more grounded in the GCS, Batgirl or Nightwing mold.

GCS might be a possibility, but I doubt it. Harley Quinn is one of their flagship characters, so wouldn't be in a smaller production film.

Batgirl isn't going to happen in that timeframe. Whedon is going to be involved with Justice League until November.

Nightwing could work, though.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Yeah i think we will get an updated schedule or at least some concrete information on their DC slate. I would be happy if we get a movie scheduled in August as that would mean a SH movie every month from April till August. But I dont want a rushed production or tight deadlines to end up with a bad movie. As with the X3 example you gave we saw how that movie turned out. 

That being said I would love a Nightwing movie first. He is such an awesome character and I didnt care much for harley quinn so I dont mind if it comes later. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don't think you can compare Transformers to the DCEU though. Maybe if WW was poorly received then you could but it's not an exaggeration when someone says WW saved that franchise 

I don't disagree that Wonder Woman was their last chance to show that they could make another well received comic book movie that didn't come from Nolan. They indeed did pass this final. I still think that it's better for them if JL isn't anywhere near as disliked as BvS. WW will not save JL if it has that sort of reception. JL having that sort of reception will be yet another blow so they are not fully out of the woods yet. I love DC so I totally want JL to work this November.

The DCEU having such troubles outside of Wonder Woman and those over budgeted flops and disappointments like Tarzan, Pan and King Arthur are that rocky road that I was referencing. And nobody can deny the DC thing because everyone says that they made behind the scenes changes after BvS made far less than expected. 

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yeah i think we will get an updated schedule or at least some concrete information on their DC slate. I would be happy if we get a movie scheduled in August as that would mean a SH movie every month from April till August. But I dont want a rushed production or tight deadlines to end up with a bad movie. As with the X3 example you gave we saw how that movie turned out. 

That being said I would love a Nightwing movie first. He is such an awesome character and I didnt care much for harley quinn so I dont mind if it comes later. 

I will buy a Nightwing ticket the instant they go on sale if it's this movie.  He is my favorite super across all comics and he's NEVER been in a live action movie (being Robin does not count:)...

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The easiest way to show you "have nothing" in a discussion is to resort to name calling and ad homonym attacks.  If your best refutation to an argument is "I can't disagree for any smart reason bu, bu, but, you suck", you come off as the idiot and the other person always comes off as the genius:).  Boards that are just acres of those kinda posts will literally make you dumber reading them...

But to continue further...

I also encourage folks to watch and think about movies themselves and not to actually rely on critics/RT scores as their evidence.  Those are better than ad homonym attack posts, but in a discussion, saying "I don't know why, but 50 critics agreed with me, so I gotta be right" is also not the best way to convince anyone of anything.  People respond to the people they are talking to best...especially if those people are displaying reason, thought, and a little humor (biggest secret to convincing anyone of anything is "a little sugar to make the medicine go down" - comedy can be that sugar:)...Baumer and I may have different tastes in most movies, but I learn a lot about the movies I didn't know just by reading his posts...and sometimes decide to watch them for myself!:)

See! This right here! Same with @That One Guy's post. There are countless forums where reasoned, rational and intelligent posts like these are completely nonexistent.

Simply reading level-headedness on the internet about art is the most amazing breath of fresh air. It gives me life!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, grim22 said:

WB has a tentpole free Summer 2018, which just seems weird. Their current summer 2018 lineup is

Ocean's 8 6/8/18
Tag 6/29/18
Untitled DC Film (July 2017) 7/27/18
Meg 8/10/18

The Nun 7/13/18

No tentpole movies in the main months of summer and Meg is their biggest Summer movie. They have Tomb Raider and Ready Player One in Spring and Jungle Book, FB2 and Aquaman in winter. Really strange lineup, especially if there is no DC movie in July.

They are using a different strategy here since they were late in the scheduling game. When you have big films like AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR, HAN SOLO, JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM and THE INCREDIBLES in a span of 7 weeks, it's better to just put your films in other months imo. Fox's DEADPOOL II was announced late but it is so hot right now (and it will be rated R), it's not really an issue if it's in a crowded summer.

I think TOMB RAIDER, READY PLAYER ONE, and RAMPAGE will all do well in Spring. WB will have made good money even before summer starts. They will also end the year with FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM II and AQUAMAN, both of which are sure moneymakers.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You mean that year when they panicked and let a trailer company edit a film after their uber expensive guaranteed billion dollar film died after rancid word of mouth opening weekend? 

Yes, that year. They made huge money THAT YEAR.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The new DCEU movie is out, I hear it is doing pretty well. When do you think this huge backlash will happen exactly? :sparta:

• Like 2