Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

Just now, titanic2187 said:

I'm proving EUROPE STILL MATTERS

I've said that superhero movies are not very successful in Europe, but that does not stop them from being successful, and you're telling me about Avatar and Titanic? What the hell are you talking about?

"Little" success in Europe does not matter for "superhero movies".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I'm proving EUROPE STILL MATTERS

But that's not what he is saying.  He says it matters for lots of films...NOT SUPER HERO MOVIES.  

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No he said that Europe is on a decline and is important only for things like Harry Potter and Hobbit.

He highlighted that Europe isn't kind to super hero movies.  Did you read everything he wrote?

2 minutes ago, CalifoBoy said:

What if WONDR drops similar to last weekend(s)?! It's not likely but it isn't impossible right?!

I still hope to see it with a total gross of 400M$.

GOTG2 dropped 53% when WONDR opened but that was partly because it was coming off Mem Day inflated weekend/Sunday.

This weekend even though Sunday was better than usual, Sat was deflated. So overall the weekend was normal, maybe even a little deflated.

So WONDR could show a much better drop against Spidey, than GOTG2 showed against WONDR.

Also WONDR as it is has shown much better legs than GOTG2. So sub 45% drop against Spidey won't shock me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Is zootopia domestic run is seen as good as WW's?

But that's a kids movie.  They are much more apt to have strong legs.  Find me the last super hero movie that has a 3.5X.  I mean, you can't.  Not since Spider-man came out in 2002.  So for the last 15 years, no super hero film is going to do what WW will.  That's just insane.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

They must be spending time with their families on the 4th. Monsters!

I naturally thought about that. The guy who does the bo write up published an article on War of Apes bo forecast, so not everyone was on a hiatus. More likely that no one from studio was there to give numbers.

44 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Is zootopia domestic run is seen as good as WW's?

Well, if you ask me... :ph34r:

In all serious, it's actually Frozen's run is only second to Avatar's in terms of awesomeness.

I get the feeling I'll fully appreciate the greatness of Wonder Women's run once it's over.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 3

DM3 - $13M:  -8%

BD - $4.4 M:  -12%

T5 - $3.5 M:  -4%

Cars - $2.1 M:  --14.3%

House - $1.5 M:  -10.5%

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

But that's a kids movie.  They are much more apt to have strong legs.  Find me the last super hero movie that has a 3.5X.  I mean, you can't.  Not since Spider-man came out in 2002.  So for the last 15 years, no super hero film is going to do what WW will.  That's just insane.

Hey, 4.55x is 4.55x.

I'm waiting for the rest of July to really be in awe of WW. And I'm pretty sure I will.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I'd add that outside of animation films, not just CBM, top grossers rarely have 3+x legs these days, especially a 100+m OW one such as WW. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Technically Baumer Guardians 1 had a smidgen better legs than Spider man 1

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, KC7 said:

More Tuesday numbers:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-despicable-me-3-baby-driver-set-loud-fireworks-1018652

DM3 - $13M

BD - $4.4 M

T5 - $3.5 M

Cars - $2.1 M

House - $1.5 M

99.4 for DM3.

DM2 did 2.57x the 5-day (368/143)

Minions did 2.32x the 5-day (336/145)

2.20x the 5-day will give DM3 just under 220 dom.

Safe to say, no one saw it coming. Even if it does ~230 dom, it's 40-50 below conservative expectations (270-280).

But looks like it's not slowing down OS. Would need 580 OS for 800 WW with 220 dom, and folks say 600+ OS is looking very real.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, if you ask me... :ph34r:

In all serious, it's actually Frozen's run is only second to Avatar's in terms of awesomeness.

I get the feeling I'll fully appreciate how great Wonder Women's run once it's over.

Frozen did almost 6x to it's OW. 

Can you provide a list of animated movies with best multiplier to OW?

Also other than big players; avatar, TFA, some other movies with great runs.

THANKS!

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

DM3 - $13M:  -8%

BD - $4.4 M:  -12%

T5 - $3.5 M:  -4%

Cars - $2.1 M:  --14.3%

House - $1.5 M:  -10.5%

Good numbers. For what they are. Too bad DM3 didn't top 100m 

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Zootopia's run was amazing and unlike Frozen it didn't have end of the year Holidays to prop it up. And no don't get me wrong Frozen's run was astounding and I'm not in any way dismissing it.

Them late legs, too.