Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

Why does BOM say 4.132 for TF5?

Deadline, the-numbers are saying 4.9

Not sure if Rth gave a number the but the title says 4.86. If it's from him then good.

Edited by a2knet

1 hour ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Disney needs to stop releasing Pixar films in Mid-June. Any benefits of it are not worth a film getting sodomized by Illumination a few weeks after release.

If they had released something like Toy Story 3 or Inside Out in that timeframe they wouldn't have to worry about it.

Cars lost whatever luster the franchise may have had with the second movie and this third one wasn't enough of an improvement to get people back on board. If they can't compete with whatever the next big kids movie is then that's on the filmmakers, not the distributor.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

If they had released something like Toy Story 3 or Inside Out in that timeframe they wouldn't have to worry about it.

Cars lost whatever luster the franchise may have had with the second movie and this third one wasn't enough of an improvement to get people back on board. If the movie can't compete with whatever the next big kids movie is then that's on the filmmakers, not the distributor.

Its still a dumb decision to release it just two weeks before the next DM. The other movies you mentioned had longer gaps while this had the shortest gap 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Disney needs to stop releasing Pixar films in Mid-June.

Nah. Disney seems very rigid in their schedule. I don't think they'll get rid of the traditional Father's Day weekend release.

Besides, Finding Dory was still a smash hit.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Its still a dumb decision to release it just two weeks before the next DM. The other movies you mentioned had longer gaps 

Cars 3 wasn't tearing it up at the box office anyways. I think Disney knew that would happen and they were bracing for it.

Edited by cannastop

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Since DM3 predicts are all over the place, here's a chance to put your predictor hat on. One gold account up for grabs to whoever comes closest on the weekend number. Just quote this post with your predict and the closest person wins it on Monday.

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Its still a dumb decision to release it just two weeks before the next DM. The other movies you mentioned had longer gaps 

If Pixar's at a point where they have to be the ones who blink on a release date, again, that's evidence that they need to do some internal soul searching.

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

If Pixar's at a point where they have to be the ones who blink on a release date, again, that's evidence that they need to do some internal soul searching.

Lol, soul searching? One of the most successful companies working today? Pretty hilarious stuff 

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

"Ah geeze, this movie didn't even make $150m dom. It's really tearing me up inside."

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

"Ah geeze, this movie didn't even make $150m dom. It's really tearing me up inside."

Their movies not being the guaranteed big hits they once were is surely a cause for concern even if it's not phrased in an absurdly dramatic way like that

1 hour ago, Kingp0va said:

Soo all eyez on me's OW will be like 55% of its entire run, any other movies (wide releases) whose budget did more than 50% of the entire run??? surely some horror movies like friday the 13th

Notorious (the Biggy biopic film), which some people compared the run of All Eyez On Me to is another big one. It was massively frontloaded. 

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, they should. Disney doesn't spend 200m on a movie for a 150m return. Next thing we'll hear is Pixar laying off employees and reducing their budgets.

16 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Cars lost whatever luster the franchise may have had with the second movie and this third one wasn't enough of an improvement to get people back on board. If they can't compete with whatever the next big kids movie is then that's on the filmmakers, not the distributor.

If Disney didn't release an animated film in the summer whether it's Pixar or WDAS then the mid June slot would be snapped by another studio anyway. June has been successful for Pixar so they're not going to stop releasing films in that slot

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

Well, they should. Disney doesn't spend 200m on a movie for a 150m return. Next thing we'll hear is Pixar laying off employees and reducing their budgets.

I doubt it. I think Coco is going to be a success. Plus, WDAS hasn't faltered yet, and I think that Disney sees both studios in the same light.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

Fuck the studio responsible for 47 Meters and not marketing it properly.. If they weren't confident in the movie to begin with, then why didn't they just release it straight to DVD/Blu Ray instead??? Dumb.. :sadben:

Ummmm.....

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

The budget for Cars 3 was $175m and it'll do at least $400-450m WW. The merchandise money will be more than enough to cover any shortfall. 

I dont see Pixar reducing budgets. I think Lassiter has enough control and goodwill to keep the budgets high. I do think they should be reduced to be on par with WDAS