Alpha

CAYOM - New Franchise Rights Thread

On July 7, 2017 at 6:38 AM, 4815162342 said:

I'm gonna watch you carefully

I'd rather not make a promise I can't keep but from one fan to another, I will share your pain if I fuck it up. 

Or maybe it will be great. Only time will tell.

On 7/11/2017 at 9:34 PM, lamamama said:

the short story The Most Dangerous games

For the record, the title is actually just "The Most Dangerous Game." No plural. It's also a classic work in the public domain, so you can't claim exclusive rights, but you're more than free to make the movie.

Edited by Xillix

10 hours ago, Xillix said:

For the record, the title is actually just "The Most Dangerous Game." No plural. It's also a classic work in the public domain, so you can't claim exclusive rights, but you're more than free to make the movie.

The clarification is apreceiated

So here's a relevant question: When exactly do rights become available after the five year waiting period? The day after five years from theatrical release (i.e., Silent Hill: Revelation came out October 26th, 2012, so rights would open October 27th, 2017)? The day after five years from the END of the picture's theatrical run (in this case Silent Hill would become available on December 17th, 2012)? Or at the start of the following year, i.e. January 1st, 2018?

I'd like to claim the rights to three Michael Crichton novels - AirframePrey, and Micro.

Since Prey is also the title of a very popular video game you may want to specify that it's a Crichton novel in the first post as well.

Okay so... fishing for opinions here.

I want to do a GoBots movie. But I looked it up and, apparently, Hasbro bought the rights in 1991 and, in a Q&A feature on their website, retroactively declared that the GoBots cartoon was a canon "alternate universe" in TF lore. Essentially they had a GoBot take over the Q&A section and answer questions about his cartoon in-character, referencing it as canon. Apparently there was also a web-exclusive crossover comic between GB and TF.

So my question is this: Is this web gag a solid enough tie to declare GoBots is officially part of Transformers and thus the rights aren't available? Or is it okay if I take it since it's not addressed in any of the Transformers movies or other mainstream media?

EDIT: Apparently Tonka still owns the rights to the old cartoon, technically speaking, and Bandai owns the original character designs... it's very confusing.

Edited by Xillix