Alpha

CAYOM - New Franchise Rights Thread

Considering some of the discussion going on in the Magazine thread - maybe we should come together to try and define a more specific set of criteria for "major classic franchises" that can't be used?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Considering some of the discussion going on in the Magazine thread - maybe we should come together to try and define a more specific set of criteria for "major classic franchises" that can't be used?

Agreed. I’m also okay with giving up Shrek if the majority aren’t okay with it.

Perhaps nothing that went over the $300M DOM mark or famous classics like The Little Mermaid.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Perhaps nothing that went over the $300M DOM mark or famous classics like The Little Mermaid.

The issue with this is if we do inflated or un-inflated, etc. And would this apply only to the first movie? To two subsequent movies? A franchise average? etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xillix said:

The issue with this is if we do inflated or un-inflated, etc. And would this apply only to the first movie? To two subsequent movies? A franchise average? etc.

Both. And I’d suggest the average and/or the first two movies.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Both. And I’d suggest the average and/or the first two movies.

Well ticket prices are a more-or-less constant upward trend, so inflated will always be bigger XD

• Like 1

Just now, Xillix said:

Well ticket prices are a more-or-less constant upward trend, so inflated will always be bigger XD

Or maybe just the ones that seem like obvious hits (as much as I want it Shrek) and leave the ones that could be risky (Roger Rabbit, Jaws)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Or maybe just the ones that seem like obvious hits (as much as I want it Shrek) and leave the ones that could be risky (Roger Rabbit, Jaws)

Estimated ticket sales might be a better metric, since it's a static number. Inflation changes every year. $300 million by today's ticket prices, per BOM, comes out to 32,751,092 tickets. Could round it to a smoother number like 30,000,000 or 35,000,000?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Estimated ticket sales might be a better metric, since it's a static number. Inflation changes every year. $300 million by today's ticket prices, per BOM, comes out to 32,751,092 tickets. Could round it to a smoother number like 30,000,000 or 35,000,000?

35,000,000 seems fair but their can be some exceptions like if a franchise has a major drop off (Back To The Future, Gremlins, Jaws) or only had one film in a popular franchise with a slightly higher limit of 40,000,000 (Roger Rabbit) 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

My personal proposal would be any series with two consecutive films that sold 40 million tickets or more. That'd rule out:

James Bond

Transformers

Pirates of the Caribbean

Indiana Jones

Jurassic Park

Harry Potter

Middle Earth

The Hunger Games

Batman

Star Wars

Home Alone

Spider-Man

The MCU

Shrek

Toy Story

Most of which are unavailable now anyway. If we lower it to 30 million it'd add:

Rocky

Mission: Impossible

X-Men

Superman

Lethal Weapon

The Matrix

Twilight

Beverly Hills Cop

The Hangover

Men in Black

The Mummy

Jaws

And probably some other ones I didn't think to look up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Xillix said:

My personal proposal would be any series with two consecutive films that sold 40 million tickets or more. That'd rule out:

James Bond

Transformers

Pirates of the Caribbean

Indiana Jones

Jurassic Park

Harry Potter

Middle Earth

The Hunger Games

Batman

Star Wars

Home Alone

Spider-Man

The MCU

Shrek

Toy Story

Most of which are unavailable now anyway. If we lower it to 30 million it'd add:

Rocky

X-Men

Superman

Lethal Weapon

The Matrix

Twilight

Beverly Hills Cop

The Hangover

Men in Black

The Mummy

Jaws

And probably some other ones I didn't think to look up.

35 million seems like a good setpoint.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

35 million seems like a good setpoint.

After a more thorough review... a rule forbidding rights to franchises with two consecutive entries which sold 35 million domestic tickets or more would include:

James Bond

Transformers

Pirates of the Caribbean

Indiana Jones

Jurassic Park

Harry Potter

Middle Earth

The Hunger Games

Batman

Star Wars

Home Alone

Spider-Man

The MCU

Shrek

Toy Story

Rocky

X-Men

Superman

Twilight

Beverly Hills Cop

The DCEU
Finding Nemo

Despicable Me

Austin Powers (Yes, really)

@4815162342 @YourMother the Edgelord @cookie @Spagheditary @Rorschach @Blankments @Reddroast @Ethan Hunt @Electric

Thoughts?

• Like 4

I don't think we need to do some monetary cut-off. 

I think a lot of this can be settled by the existing 5-year rule + current pre-production rule, with consideration to franchises/fictional universes that have untouched realms that can be mined without worry of screwing with current running film series.

For example if someone wants to tackle a film based on a story from the Silmarillion (like Beren and Luthien, or the Tragedy of Turin), I don't see why that person can't.

8 minutes ago, Electric said:

I would like to relinquish all the rights I've claimed. Feel free to make movies using any of the ones I claimed months ago.

Are you sure?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Are you sure?

Yeah, I haven't really had any creative juices. Most of the movies I'd make would butcher these "classics", but in most cases, no one else cares about them, so I might as well use them if I want.

• Like 2