Alpha

CAYOM - New Franchise Rights Thread

So here's a thought I'd like some input on again...

Amityville: The Awakening is - allegedly - getting a limited theatrical release next month, but only after it's released as a free streaming rental on Google Play. That said, I'm interested in doing an Amityville film myself. There are a couple loopholes I think make this possible - firstly, the actual murders and the idea that the house in Amityville is demon-infested are real and public domain, a fact which approximately eighty million indie filmmakers have used to cash in on the name with their own DTV trash - only the actual story of the Lutz family as presented in the original book and 1979 and 2005 movies is copyrighted. Secondly, I think The Awakening being literally given away for people to watch on their cell phones weeks before it hits theatres (if it does at all) kind of undermines its status as a real, franchise-voiding "theatrical release."

So would anyone protest if I grabbed the rights to Amityville: The Nightmare Continues, one of the "unofficial" books not directly related to the Lutz story, and adapted that?