cookie

CAYOM 3.0 - Behind the Camera

8 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

So bad news and good news.

I’m going to have a lot less time to write than I thought I would...because I got the job!! :Venom:

Congratulations. Will you still be around Y5 though?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I'm trying to find someone to be the introducer of all the segments in Fantasia 3. Essentially, I'm trying to have the person act as the Deems Taylor of the film. Very hard trying to find someone suitable though.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty much open to anything thrown my way lol.

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

You want an actor, a composer, someone usually known as a host or...? Many variables here.

Composer. Considering Deems Taylor was a composer/music critic, I think it would be fitting to have someone with knowledge of music to be the "host" per se to introduce the segments. 

2 hours ago, Rorschach said:

I'm trying to find someone to be the introducer of all the segments in Fantasia 3. Essentially, I'm trying to have the person act as the Deems Taylor of the film. Very hard trying to find someone suitable though.

2 hours ago, Rorschach said:

Composer. Considering Deems Taylor was a composer/music critic, I think it would be fitting to have someone with knowledge of music to be the "host" per se to introduce the segments. 

So you're doing a single presenter as opposed to Fantasia 2000 having a different one for each.

Assuming that you are using mostly classical-esque pieces, you probably would want a classically-oriented composer if you're going the solo route. If you're doing the fantasia 2000 style you can cast a wider net.

• Like 2

I will say one thing I'd like to see going forward for Y5 and on is an overall reduction in the number of movies with like 10,000+ word write-ups. It's resulted in too much stress for everyone, IMO, both in finishing the movies and in finding the time to review things. The way it worked last year with a lot of people only reviewing a handful of movies until very late rubbed me the wrong way.

Also it creates a bit of a dilemma as a reviewer... I'll admit in the past that I've given movies higher scores than I thought they really deserved based on entertainment value simply because of the amount of work put into them. I felt like I was "supposed" to reward them for being really long and intricate. Specifically, off the top of my head, I'd say The Scavenger Wars and Fortnight only got 4 star ratings from me because of that. Frankly I thought both were overlong and had trouble staying engaged throughout. I won't be doing that going forward.

• Like 4

I hope that people won’t be aggravated by my animated movies this year in terms of word count: Squirrel Girl is over 10K words and Medusa is around the 8K mark.

That said only Squirrel Girl, Green Lantern and Phoenix will be over 10K words, every thing else will be in the 3K-8K range.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

Yeah, writing Odyssey 3 definitely took the wind out of me a little bit. I'm definitely gonna scale back on how much detail I put into the films this year given they won't be quite on the epic scale that film or its predecessors were. The only films I could see spilling over are One Punch Man and Fantasia. OPM is probably going to be over 10,000 words regardless, though I'll make sure that it isn't unnecessarily long. Fantasia's word count will depend on how in-depth I want to go with each musical segment. 

All in all though, I will keep tabs on word count this time around.

• Like 2

I'm really glad tht we're setting that boundary. I've been writing Sabrina; I'm 3/4 the way through, and I apologize now, but it's long... I don't think I want any of my other Y5 stories to be 10K+ words. This is a lesson to myself on not trying to adapt the whole book.

So yeah, I could make do with doing less. I'd be happy to keep that in mind.

I'd hate to have to discard so much of what I've already done (which is a lot) so this reduction will have to be gradual from my end, but if I have time over trims will be made wherever possible. Post-Y5 I'll probably introduce a personal cap.

• Like 2

So I feel like I'm making a pretty big gamble by having my Total Eclipse robot racing movie be such a low-budget thing now.

Truth be told it was meant to be a semi-filler mockbuster of Lightspeed as Lieutenant Lynx is to Star Fox. That's kind of supposed to be the division's MO. But now that I'm into writing it out I'm actually really liking where it's going. Part of me thinks that the idea deserves a bigger budget and a wider release to stand on its own...

...buuuuuut on the other hand the lower budget theoretically means it could make a profit more easily if people actually do dig it, and there's sequel potential for sure.

• Astonished 3