cookie

CAYOM 3.0 - Behind the Camera

My top priorities are the year 5 announcements that got pushed back (so Carmen, Gulch, Chuck and Liam and Eden). I guess hypothetically speaking Duck Hunt and KFC are the most likely to be pushed back

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Anyone know an African American female director that would be good at directing a fantasy?

Well, Ava DuVernay's done it (A Wrinkle in Time). Granted, that film wasn't good, let alone great.

How about Kasi Lemmons? She was an actress in a lot of fairly fantastical films such as the horror film Candyman before she became a director. She directed episodes of Luke Cage and, in 2001, The Caveman's Valentine which starred Samuel L. Jackson as someone who lived in a cage and becomes an action hero. She is about to have a huge comeback as the director of a film about Harriet Tubman that is coming out this year.

I'm planning to use her next game year. I'm taking a class which studies African American films in the next fall semester, and I have an idea for a plot I can write to document what I've learned from the class. But I wholeheartedly recommend Kasi Lemmons. It might be a risk right now, but the decision could age extremely well.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Well, Ava DuVernay's done it (A Wrinkle in Time). Granted, that film wasn't good, let alone great.

How about Kasi Lemmons? She was an actress in a lot of fairly fantastical films such as the horror film Candyman before she became a director. She directed episodes of Luke Cage and, in 2001, The Caveman's Valentine which starred Samuel L. Jackson as someone who lived in a cage and becomes an action hero. She is about to have a huge comeback as the director of a film about Harriet Tubman that is coming out this year.

I'm planning to use her next game year. I'm taking a class which studies African American films in the next fall semester, and I have an idea for a plot I can write to document what I've learned from the class. But I wholeheartedly recommend Kasi Lemmons. It might be a risk right now, but the decision could age extremely well.

I’m using her for an animated film this year.

11 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

@YourMother the Edgelord For some CAYOM examples, Amma Asante directed The Prince of Egypt, and Gina Pryce-Blythewood did Perfect Match.

I might just use the latter though I may pull a you and replace Stevenson.

• Like 2

So here's the deal regarding Sp4rk:

It's currently about a thousand words longer than the Scavenger Wars. I don't know if I can really trim the plot (it isn't 3 hours long for nothing) but I'll try to make some of the writing a bit more concise. 

• Like 1

After watching The Book Of Life today, I sort of want to revive a Jorge R Gutierrez project I had brewing but one of the three animated films I had would be pushed back.

Spoiler

Not Kung Fu Space Punch but the superhero movie Powerless

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 3

Need suggestions for a female director who can do sci-fi/action but also drama and intimate character work i.e. a Patty Jenkins that’s more likely to be available.

Edited by cookie

54 minutes ago, cookie said:

Need suggestions for a female director who can do sci-fi/action but also drama and intimate character work i.e. a Patty Jenkins that’s more likely to be available.

I’d say Jennifer Yuh Nelson but that may be a biased answer.

Julia Hart? She just did Fast Color which seems like the kinda film someone would do before making a big tentpole.

44 minutes ago, cookie said:

• Karyn Kusama (Aeon Flux)
  • Mimi Leder (Deep Impact)
  • Niki Caro (Mulan (2020))
  • Chloe Zhao (The Eternals)
  • Mary Harron (American Psycho)
  • Anna Boden (Captain Marvel)
  • Patricia Riggen (The 33 and Miracles From Heaven)
  • Roxann Dawson (Breakthrough, and episodes of television shows including Under The Dome, Bates Motel, Revolution, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Colony, The Path, and This Is Us)
  • Like 1