kayumanggi

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP | 406.0 M overseas ● 622.7 M worldwide

12 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Middling performance for an MCU sequel but a good performance for a sequel in general.

% CHANGE OF WORLDWIDE GROSS FOR MCU FIRST SEQUELS

Iron Man 2$624M vs $585M => +6.7%

Thor 2: $645M vs $449M => +43.7%

Captain America 2: $714M vs $371M => +92.5%

Age of Ultron: $1,405M vs $1,519M => -7.5%

Guardians of the Galaxy 2: $864M vs $773 => +11.8%

Ant-Man 2: $600M (proj.) vs $519M => +15.6%

I think it's doing just fine. The only MCU sequels that did better are those that received an "Avengers boost" (Thor 2 and Cap 2). Otherwise, sequels don't really outperform their predecessors crazily. So I think people should let the doom and gloom go. Yeah, I, too, personally thought it would make more (that's what anyone would expect coming off Infinity War), but it was a gut feeling not based on any evidence. I'm quite happy now that things have been put into perspective.

• Like 5

You have also to consider that Iron Man, Guardian of the Galaxy and Avengers were unexpected breakout hits, and when the first chapter breaks out that way it's much more difficult for the sequel to jump big.

Let's say it didn't terrible, but it should have at least beaten Thor 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exactly. Gotg2 was okay because gotg1 way overperformed to begin with. Conversely, I only felt like AM1’s 520 was acceptable because it gave AM2 a good chance at 700+. We’re now far enough in to the run that I can definitively say this has been a disappointment for me DOM and WW, though not an outright failure in a financial sense.

Thor 2 received an Avengers and IM3 boost (yes, a lot of us enjoyed IM3, thank you very much), so it shouldn't be used as some bare financial minimum.

Having said that, I thought this would easily fly past 600 and at least 630 was a definite lock, so... People promoting it as a "palate cleanser" and "small reprieve" from IW weren't really doing it any favors. Both AMs were positioned to be smaller epilogues or segues in the ongoing MCU saga, with a neon sign saying SKIPPABLE pointing towards them. 

I also think this franchise couldn't live up to its best potential once it forewent Janet van Dyne as the main Wasp. Still though, high 500's/low 600's is nothing to scoff at, especially for the "runt" of the pack. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Thor 2 received an Avengers and IM3 boost (yes, a lot of us enjoyed IM3, thank you very much), so it shouldn't be used as some bare financial minimum.

Having said that, I thought this would easily fly past 600 and at least 630 was a definite lock, so... People promoting it as a "palate cleanser" and "small reprieve" from IW weren't really doing it any favors. Both AMs were positioned to be smaller epilogues or segues in the ongoing MCU saga, with a neon sign saying SKIPPABLE pointing towards them. 

I also think this franchise couldn't live up to its best potential once it forewent Janet van Dyne as the main Wasp. Still though, high 500's/low 600's is nothing to scoff at, especially for the "runt" of the pack. 

Come to think of it, both AM films were released 2-3 months following an Avengers film, and that in itself was not doing the AM franchise any favors.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quigley said:

Come to think of it, both AM films were released 2-3 months following an Avengers film, and that in itself was not doing the AM franchise any favors.

Maybe they should give them a role in those movies so he gets exposure 😛 

Sometimes its good to follow up with something small scale. However since IW was a part 1 people aren't ready to move on to something smaller until after A4. Also while the trailers were fun they clearly got lost among the juggernauts like BP, IW and Deadpool. 

Just speculation though as I've still not seen Ant-Man and Wasp. Probably will catch up on it sometime this week. 

Regardless around 600m WW should be enough for Ant-Man 3. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 3:10 PM, Marathon said:

I definitely lost most of my interest in the franchise already back in 2013-14 when they decided, for whatever bizarre reason, to not make Janet one of the main players, and also make Hank Pym a 1000-year-old guy.

That was around 2006 and when Edgar Wright decided to go with Scott and not Hank as Ant-Man

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Still has Japan doesn't it?

Yeah, I was factoring about 10M for Japan, which is what the first one did. Maybe 270-280 OS-China to show more optimism with the remainder of the run, but still need China to come through for 4B.

17 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Yeah, I was factoring about 10M for Japan, which is what the first one did. Maybe 270-280 OS-China to show more optimism with the remainder of the run, but still need China to come through for 4B.

It's at $257.2m after a $5.1m weekend.  Don't see how it does as low as $270m with $10m from Japan.  Should be near $280m. 

So, it will need about $108-110m from China

The last one made $105.37m w/o the ticket fee add on but the exchange rate keeps becoming less advantageous.  It will be close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Maybe going to end at 270-275 OS-China then? ~220 DOM, looks like it might be essentially flat from the last one in China — I don’t think the MCU is hitting 4B this year anymore :( 

It's doing the same as BP in PS just 15% less. So if it manages to do a $60m OW than some good weekdays for $90m before the WE so it has a shot at $115m. But yeah probably around 100m-110m.

• Like 1

As the size-shifting Marvel superheroes get ready to buzz into China on Friday, Ant-Man And The Wasp put $5.1M in the nest in 36 markets this session. That takes the offshore cume to $257.2M and sets the movie up to cross $500M globally with $465.6M so far.

Italy was the key opener this frame with $1.3M ($2.7M including previews). The No. 1 launch is about 11% ahead of the original Ant-Man.

The Top 5 on the sequel thus far are Korea ($42.4M), the UK ($17.5M), Mexico ($14.9M), Australia ($14.5M) and Russia ($13M).

Source: Deadline

400M OS (with 120M from CH)

215M DOM

615M WW

• Like 1