CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I truly wonder what MCU film will be their first rotten one (not middling or so-so, like many consider The Incredible Hulk and Thor 2), but rotten. As in, under 50 % rotten on RT. It will happen at some point, but when, and to which film? 

If I had to pick one of the already announced ones (and I'm not sure any will be) - Ant-Man and the Wasp...

It's the most "comedy" of the offerings, and comedy is hard and less critically received...especially in sequel form...

Assuming a middle number of 47 and giving it somewhat non optimistic drops will be

42.3 (-10% <<<higher drop than gotg2 and WW)

31.725 (-25% << higher drop than gotg2 and WW)

Total - 121 OW

I think we can lock a 120m OW at least rising if the 47 number rise more

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Not to me. If anything, it's become even better. The film is a character study through and through, has excellent setpieces, and continues the moral themes from the first movie. 

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Really? Watched it this week and it holds up so well. Tis' a masterpiece.

I still like it but I've got my problems:

Why do the arms make Ock turn evil? Are metal tentacles naturally evil?

Why doesn't Ock just sell the technology for the arms?

Why does that reporter ask Ock if the arms could accidentally take over his mind? Why would anyone think to ask that?

Why is there no protection for anyone at the initial Ock energy demonstration? 

If SpiderMan is so strong that he could stop a train why doesn't Ock die the second Spidey punches him?

Why does nobody notice Ock's evil lair? It's in plain view in a great location

Why does Ock rob a bank? Surely he could just steal the equipment he needs. The bank's money would be void the second he stole it. Everybody would also know Ock robbed that bank, so who would even deal with him?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Why does that reporter ask Ock if the arms could accidentally take over his mind? Why would anyone think to ask that?

If SpiderMan is so strong that he could stop a train why doesn't Ock die the second Spidey punches him?

Why does Ock rob a bank? Surely he could just steal the equipment he needs. The bank's money would be void the second he stole it. Everybody would also know Ock robbed that bank, so who would even deal with him?

All of those can be answered with "It's a movie".

• Like 2

Humor and a strong cast really elevate Homecoming. I didn't think the plot or the action were particularly memorable, but really liked the characters and performances. Holland is completely perfect in the role. Take this cast with a script up to par with SM2 and it will easily be one of the best CBMs ever. 

1. SM2

2. SM1

3. Homecoming

4. SM3

5. TASM

6. TASM2

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

Do you have any real criticisms or are they all just cinemasins style nitpicks you could do with any story in the history of creation? 

• Like 6

I feel like the arms turning him evil was fairly well explained in the movie. It doesn't make sense in the real world, but neither does binding robotic arms to your spinal column. The inhibitor chip thing was there for a reason.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

No it is not. 

Logan fell 5.1% 

WW fell 7.8%

GoTG2 fell 8.5

So the 8% drop is fairly realistic and not "very optimistic"

I do also think an 8% drop is optimistic in that prediction - this would mean a Saturday increase of 34.8% from Spidey's True Friday in this instance.  It is important, IMHO, to consider it sans previews. Ant-Man increased 20% from True Friday, so I think that would be a good target for Spidey.

Someone asked, I think it was with Wonder Woman, about whether it is usual for comic book films in the summer to increase 30+% on Saturday. It seems unusual, I think, for a July release to increase that much on Saturday from True Friday. But who knows... Spidey could surprise with a strong Saturday because it is kid friendly and likely riding good WOM. But I don't personally expect such a large increase.

Approximate Saturday Increases/Decreases from True Fridays (Sans Previews) for Comic Book Films that Opened May-August (Not an Exhaustive List)

Spider-Man: +34% (May)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: +31% (May)

Wonder Woman: +29% (June)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: +25% (May)

Captain America: Civil War: +21% (May)

Ant-Man: +20% (July)

Iron Man 3: +17% (May)

Guardians of the Galaxy: +16% (August)

X-Men: Apocalypse: +13% (May - Memorial Day Weekend)

Marvel's The Avengers: +12% (May)

X-Men: Days of Future Past: +7% (May - Memorial Day Weekend)

Iron Man 2: +5% (May)

Thor: +5% (May)

Man of Steel: +4% (June)

Spider-Man 3: +3% (May)

Captain America: The First Avenger: +1% (July)

The Dark Knight Rises: -0.5% (July)

Avengers: Age of Ultron: -0.5% (May)

The Dark Knight: -2% (July)

Suicide Squad: -13% (August)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 12