CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

3 hours ago, KJsooner said:

'The suit sucks' 

'movie isn't going to have a good multiplier, bc I didn't like it'

'not as fan friendly as Gotg'

These are extreme biased opinions, and they should be disregarded. Movie is one of the best of the mcu. Also has good wom going on. I don't see it having a shitty multiplier. 

The movie being one of the best in the mcu is also extreme based.  You are entitled to your extreme opinion just like those of us who feel the suit sucked, are entitled to ours.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nova said:

$140M is actually not all that much for a film of this magnitude. 

For example, WB spent $100M on King Arthur and they knew that was going to bomb. 

Other big movies spend over $200M easily 

100 million for marketing seems the floor for a big movie unless you have written it off and are cutting your losses.

3 hours ago, AJ2k said:

People are allowed to have different opinions. I just want to hear legit reasons that SM1 was one of the best CBMs of all-time.

Maguire was decent and at least likable as Peter Parker. Unfortunately his Spider-man didn't have much of a personality.

The bite and discovery of powers was good but that was all apart of the origin I liked anyway.

Jameson was one of the highlights of the second half of the movie.

MJ was annoying. She's dating Harry, flirting with Peter and lusting after Spider-man but wants Harry to stick up for her when Norman gives his son some good advice to dump her lol. And she got worse in SM2 using Jameson's son and leaving him at the alter. Just an all-around terrible character. I have no idea what Peter saw in her.

Goblin should have worked a whole lot better. The suit design they settled on was terrible and if only they could have gave Spider-man and Goblin the same type of action scenes like Peter vs Harry in SM3.

I never saw what was so special about the upside down kiss. I guess I'm not romantic enough :P

The supporting cast was pretty good. It's too bad the script didn't give them much to work with beyond the origin.

Well, I personally disagree with your gripes.  But that's okay.  We all have our opinions.  I personally think Batman Returns (the one with DeVito and Pfeiffer) is the worst comic book film I have ever seen, and I've seen Superman 4 and Catwoman. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Well, I personally disagree with your gripes.  But that's okay.  We all have our opinions.  I personally think Batman Returns (the one with DeVito and Pfeiffer) is the worst comic book film I have ever seen, and I've seen Superman 4 and Catwoman. :)

Batman Returns is awful. I honestly think it's my least favorite of the original 4 movies.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

Personally I think the Q34 suit was way cooler and more powerful, but I have to admit the Venom-injection turbo-boosted crotch-patch on the simpler original suit was just about perfect. Only problem I have is that everyone knows the Q34 add-on would've made Spidey waaaaay more powerful than Rhino, because Rhino's armor is only the ZZ-Stratodeck plating, which wouldn't be able to withstand the G-forces imposed by Spidey's web shooter.

It's stuff like this that just completely takes me out of a movie. You'd think the filmmakers would realize how it makes no sense at all. And don't get me started on Tony's Hulk-Squisher.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Personally I think the Q34 suit was way cooler and more powerful, but I have to admit the Venom-injection turbo-boosted crotch-patch on the simpler original suit was just about perfect. Only problem I have is that everyone knows the Q34 add-on would've made Spidey waaaaay more powerful than Rhino, because Rhino's armor is only the ZZ-Stratodeck plating, which wouldn't be able to withstand the G-forces imposed by Spidey's web shooter.

It's stuff like this that just completely takes me out of a movie. You'd think the filmmakers would realize how it makes no sense at all. And don't get me started on Tony's Hulk-Squisher.

Image result for revenge of the nerds

• Like 4

Off topic but Atomic Blonde looks like the most sexually arousing movie of the year.

It's Charlize Theron dressed in hot outfits kicking ass and fucking Sofia Boutella.  I'm not sure if my pants will be able to handle the movie.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Well that's something we can agree on. Warner Bros let Tim Burton off his leash after the success of Batman and the abomination Batman Returns was the result. It was similar to Michael Bay being reined in for the first Transformers film and then they let him off the leash and it was full Bay for Revenge of the Fallen...humping robots and swinging robot balls and all. There are some directors that need to be on a freakin leash.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't think those who like it are now saying it sucks

I do however know there are people who didn't care for it...myself included.

The suit is one of the problems I mentioned last night

Agreed. I'm one of those who also had a problem with the suit among other things, and I defend my criticism of the movie which I did in my spoiler review.

Here's my feeling on the situation and what my gut tells me:

SM:H is a good movie, but not a great one. It's good enough that most critics recommend it, hence the high RT score; and really any good movie should get a high score on RT since it is an aggregate score site. 

After seeing it for myself, I find that the high, high praise that a lot of critics have heaped on it are a bit unfounded, and I'm curious to see if either I'm being over-critical, or whether other movie goers will feel the same way. If my gut is right, then the high critic praise will have inflated the opening day numbers, but as people judge it for themselves the WOM will tone down some and dampen the following days, along with fewer people going in for repeat viewings. The legs will be average for the typical Marvel film, but overseas will pump the numbers because that market tends to be less critical.

If my gut is wrong, then SM:H will continue to post high numbers and have a pretty good run all around. 

Saturday's 37 million tells me my gut feeling might be right though. (assuming that number is accurate).

Again, I'm not saying it's not a good movie or that I hope it does poorly, but for me the plot had a lot of glaring problems, most characters were not well-developed, and Spidey comes off being weaker than his CW debut.

3 hours ago, AJ2k said:

Well that's something we can agree on. Warner Bros let Tim Burton off his leash after the success of Batman and the abomination Batman Returns was the result. It was similar to Michael Bay being reined in for the first Transformers film and then they let him off the leash and it was full Bay for Revenge of the Fallen...humping robots and swinging robot balls and all. There are some directors that need to be on a freakin leash.

Lets's keep Transformers and Bay out of this....it's been torn to shreds enough already today.

But Batman Returns is so inept, so ridiculous, so ludicrous that I can find something stupid in every scene.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

And Batman can't beat Superman. Sup should have poked Batsy in the eyes through the eyeholes with his finger. Game, set, match. Blind as a bat.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

This Batman Returns hate is disturbing...

Meow.

At least Pfeiffer will always be the better Catwoman which reminds me since we now have Keaton in the MCU can we get her as like Janet Van Dyne (I know Catherine Zeta Jones is the popular choice).

• Like 1

Getting back to all the excitement today... it's all fun and games until someone starts posting spoilers in the weekend thread, right? :lol: 

I know, everyone's having fun and it's easy to slip up. But one of the reasons we have such strict rules in place for the weekend threads is so it's a safe space for everyone, whether they've managed to rush out and see all the new movies or not. There are plenty of options for going deep into spoiler discussions or even spoiler-based jokes -- the weekend threads just aren't the place for that.

It doesn't matter whether a movie's universally reviled here or not -- the same rules are in place for NUT JOB 2 as they are for LAST JEDI.

And y'all know that, I know you do. The staff isn't mad or anything, it's just that nobody likes to deal with spoilers. The mods get to go hide or clean up all the posts, track down the people, warn/ban as needed, update the warned/banned threads, etc. And the people who get banned lose out on the fun. It's just a hassle for everyone. So for next time, just be mindful of what you're saying, take a sec to think about whether it's the right thread for your post, and then everyone wins.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Off topic but Atomic Blonde looks like the most sexually arousing movie of the year.

It's Charlize Theron dressed in hot outfits kicking ass and fucking Sofia Boutella.  I'm not sure if my pants will be able to handle the movie.

Make a hole at the bottom of the popcorn bucket, put the bucket on your lap, and unzip.

edit: I think it's inappropriate for this post to be just below Tele's nice post above it.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1