CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

The current top 10 films of the Summer:

01. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 384.5M

02. Wonder Woman - 356.7M

03. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 167.3M

04. Cars 3 - 126.3M

05. Transformers: The Last Knight - 111.1M

06. Despicable Me 3 - 107M

07. The Mummy - 76.5M

08. Alien: Covenant - 73.7M

09. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie - 70M

10. Baywatch - 57.4M

W/the projected 115-120M OW, Spider-Man: Homecoming will swing to the #6 position best case scenario, as DM3 will be around 140M. However, it being #6 or #7 depends on how bad Transformers drops this weekend (and if it pushes above the 120M predictions).

Whatever the case may be, it's definitely making the top 10, kicking Baywatch to the curve. It's hilarious how a movie like Baywatch doesn't even make the top 10 films of the Summer, but oh well.

There's also a small, small chance that Captain Underpants leaves the top 10 in these three days as well, should Baby Driver have a herculean hold this weekend, which I'm not counting on. That being said, even if it doesn't beat Underpants this weekend, it probably will do it before War For The Planet Of The Apes opens, and when Apes comes out, there's a strong possibility that it'll have dethroned Alien: Covfefe and gotten a good grip of the top 10. An original action movie by Edgar fuckin' Wright is making the top 10 (well, temporarily at least):ohmygod:

10 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Meanwhile, DespicableMe3 is projected to open with $70 million in China.

Minions ended with 60m there.

It's like when domestic audience started to "abandon" some ageing franchise, china is there for them.... 

15 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Meanwhile, DespicableMe3 is projected to open with $70 million in China.

Minions ended with 60m there.

Read somewhere that the studios get a much smaller cut from the takings in China than in the west and general admission prices are lower too.

So the Chinese numbers may carry too much weight.

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Read somewhere that the studios get a much smaller cut from the takings in China than in the west and general admission prices are lower too.

So the Chinese numbers may carry too much weight.

That's partly true. For the time being at least. But with China overtaking domestic box office soon enough, it is great for a franchise to be able to connect with the biggest audience in the world.

From what I have seen in the China thread, the marketing there was enormous proving what a genius studio Illumination is.

40 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The current top 10 films of the Summer:

[Snip]

2. Wonder Woman - 356.7M

[snip]

Still trying to get used to the idea (seriously).

I finally live in a world in which an actual big-screen Wonder Woman film exists (and it is a critical/commercial hit to boot!)... 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

In two weeks, Valerian has previews at 5 PM, and Dunkirk has them at 6 PM :jeb!: 

None of the 5 PM shows so far are in 3D, but there's still a few theaters that haven't posted their times.  I'll wait patiently.

• Like 2