CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

I do think that people should be careful with saying they know the movie is going to have great legs because people did say the same thing about Civil War and it didn't. Of course great legs for Civil War would have been about 2.5 seeing as how it was the third movie in a franchise and kind of a semi Avengers movie as well which would make it another third movie in a franchise. What I'm saying is legs were never going to be amazing. They were just even worse than anyone thought they would be.

Personally I'm waiting until the Monday Tuesday and Wednesday numbers. That will tell the story of the second weekend.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

9 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Marvel's gonna score five straight 100m openings in a row (Guardians 2 through Infinity War). Their brand is reaching the same level of goodwill they hit in 2014 I think. 

Imo I would take Age of Ultron and Ant man any day over Doctor Strange and Homecoming  and even Civil War 

14 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I always thought that Civil War's poor legs were due to the fact that, outside of that 20-minute sequence, it's just not a fun movie.  In fact, it's kind of a downer, with perhaps the most intentionally ambivalent climax in the history of superhero films.  Is there another one that has a climax that does not feature our hero(es) fighting a bad guy?  

It's probably completely unique in that sense, certainly for the MCU, and maybe for the genre as a whole.  I saw both Avengers films 5 times in theaters, but Civil War only twice.  It's not really the kind of experience I think audiences felt the need to repeat.  

Homecoming is an entirely different ball of wax, IMO.  It's an enormous crowd-pleaser.

No. It's probably because Tony Stark was an idiot in the movie and the whole "civilian casualties" thing was ridiculously 

On the nose. The fun parts like the airport scene are what saved it 

. The "serious" parts were bad 

Edited by John Marston

Age of Ultron with so middle of the road with that lame Spader-Bot "funny" villain, terrible romance between  Black Widow and Hulk, that boring Farmhouse sequence with boring Hawkeye's boring family and then that tedious third Act that was all about saving people because they were afraid to get a response like Man of Steel got. I didn't even bother to see Ant-Man in theaters because that movie exhausted me. And I completely regretted it because Ant-Man is so much better than that movie and one of the best MCU movies.

• Like 1

Me too in the Ant-Man more fun than CW, AOU club. :)

Ant-Man and the Wasp could surprise next year. Considering Ant-Man did 3.15x, it was clearly well received and the sequel could do something like 80/2.5x/200 if it's good.

• Like 5

The hell? I last checked this thread on Saturday morning and people were projecting 130m+. What happened?

Good number all the same, of course. Marvel's consistency is becoming surreal.

Edited by Hatebox

29 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The hell? I last checked this thread on Saturday morning and people were projecting 130m+. What happened?

Good number all the same, of course. Marvel's consistency is becoming surreal.

Saturday was more frontloaded than expected. Afterall we are in mid July and this is a strong brand. 

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

It's still based on a toy line.

Does that mean the writers who wrote the countless stories only viewed the characters as toys?

No, it does not.

Every artist is motivated by something different. Not all of them are obsessed with toy sales.

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

No update since yesterday? The numbers have changed a lot during the weekend so there could still be a surprise.

Unless Asgard comes down from his cloud, we won't get one until about 11AM EST...3.5 hours or so.

• Like 1