CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

This superhero golden era owes everything to the first X-men and Spider-man movies.

If Fox and Sony didn't make those movies such hits, there would be NO Marvel creating MCU to fight back.

Leading to DCEU.

Actually Marvel selling those character rights got ALL of this started, and the best thing EVER for the boxoffice.

This is overblown. Superman and Superman II were enormous. Batman, Batman Forever and Batman Returns all inflate to $350M+ DOM. I mean, Batman and Superman are two of the biggest movies ever, especially Bats '89. It's a box office legend of its era. Studios knew there was market before X-Men, Blade, Spider-man, etc. Hell, Dick Tracy inflates to over $200M+ DOM.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John Harris said:

I'm not convinced Black Panther is a guaranteed $100-mil opening, are you?  Here are my completely subjective odds for the next three MCU films cracking the $100-mil-OW:

Thor: Ragnarok: 75%

Black Panther: 50%

Infinity War: 100%

Why people are sure Thor 3  open over 100M?? TDW is bad

20 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Why so aggressive? He was just correcting you.

That's true dceu is answer to mcu.

And civil war and captain marvel are reaction to bvs and wonder woman. This competition has made both get off their asses. Very good.

It's the internet, mate. Civilized arguing is a lost cause out here.

• Like 3

Just now, YourMother said:

You're a teacher?

A proud superhero-loving, true-blue comic book geek of a teacher. And I always use superheroes in my lesson plans, teaching curricula, and pedagogical units. It's one of the things I enjoy the most, and my kids love it. One of the things that gives me the most pleasure is proudly using as many female superheroes and superheroes of color as I use white male superheroes (as well as lots of obscure characters instead of just the usual suspects). I love the expression on the faces of my kids of color when I help them "discover" who Vixen, Silverclaw, or Black Lightning are!! And representation is soo important! Kids need to see their own faces reflected in them funny books! :D 

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

This superhero golden era owes everything to the first X-men and Spider-man movies.

If Fox and Sony didn't make those movies such hits, there would be NO Marvel creating MCU to fight back.

Leading to DCEU.

Marvel selling those character rights got ALL of this started, and the was best thing EVER for the boxoffice.

I dunno, there were a couple of DC movies in the '70s and '80s that proved superhero movies could be successful that you might have heard of. 

Those films are the reasons we have superhero movies today.

• Like 2

This is overblown. Superman was enormous with Superman and Superman II. Batman, Batman Forever and Batman Returns all inflate to $350M+ DOM. Studios knew there was market before X-Men, Blade, Spider-man, etc. Hell, Dick Tracy inflates to over $200M+ DOM.

Sure there was the occasional hit, but superhero movies were still hard to crack back then. Sequels got worst and worst with each one.

It wasn't until recently that superheroes have become it's own genre that rivals some of the biggest blockbusters out here.

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

A proud superhero-loving, true-blue comic book geek of a teacher. And I always use superheroes in my lesson plans, teaching curricula, and pedagogical units. It's one of the things I enjoy the most, and my kids love it. One of the things that gives me the most pleasure is proudly using as many female superheroes and superheroes of color as I use white male superheroes (as well as lots of obscure characters instead of just the usual suspects). I love the expression on the faces of my kids of color when I help them "discover" who Vixen, Silverclaw, or Black Lightning are!! And representation is soo important! Kids need to see their own faces reflected in them funny books! :D 

My mother was a teacher but got promoted last year to special education supervisor.

40 minutes ago, John Harris said:

I hope you're right, and I hope it's a good flick. But so far Deadpool is the only $100-mil OW film ever released in February, and that character had a MUCH bigger following than BP has, even throwing in BP's CW appearance. I'd say it's guaranteed to match Doc Strange's 85-mil OW, but 100-mil is about 50/50, IMHO.

Deadpool is also R. BP is PG-13. 

28 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Why so aggressive? He was just correcting you.

That's true dceu is answer to mcu.

And civil war and captain marvel are reaction to bvs and wonder woman. This competition has made both get off their asses. Very good.

I'd argue that BvS and Civil War, whether liked or not personally by the viewer, were two of bad things to come of it. Just overwhelming. Too much too quickly in both cases. Most were still were comfortable with the superheroes joining on either a smaller scale (Winter Soldier) or on the largest scale (Avengers, Justice League) every three years or so. I don't mind a few others joining the fray as Marvel's doing with Spidey, Thor, etc. And, as I'm sure the DCEU will do down the line. That's not as overwhelming. But, please, keep the big team ups limited to the Avengers and Justice League flicks.

Personally, I'm much, much more excited for Thor, Black Panther, Aquaman, Flash, etc. than Infinity War or Justice League. That's just me though...

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd argue that BvS and Civil War, whether liked or not personally by the viewer, were two of bad things to come of it. Just overwhelming. Too much too quickly in both cases. Most were still were comfortable with the superheroes joining on either a smaller scale (Winter Soldier) or on the largest scale (Avengers, Justice League). I don't mind a few others joining the fray as Marvel's doing with Spidey, Thor, etc. And, as I'm sure the DCEU will do down the line. That's not as overwhelming. But, please, keep the big team ups limited to the Avengers and Justice League flicks.

I agree with you. Ofcourse this is not everybody opinion, but I wanted a full blown cap movie after winter soldier.

• Like 2

Yeah, the success of the superhero genre goes back to Superman nearly 40 years ago. In addition, that movie also proved it was considered "cool" for big name or respected actors (Hackman, Brando) to do comic book/popcorn-types of movies.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

24 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It's a disgrace that it took 76 years before we got a live action Wonder Woman movie by the way.

That's all on WB for not wanting to take chances on anyone outside of Superman and Batman.

14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Leading to DCEU in response.

Marvel selling those character rights got ALL of this started, and the was best thing EVER for the boxoffice.

Thank Marvel for making the Avengers so successful leading to WB finally get off their asses and make a Justice League and Wonder Woman movies?

No MCU means no DCEU.

Superman the movie ( the first big budget superhero movie in history ) is what started the whole big budget cinema adaptations for superheros. So you can thank DC for that , also superman was the first superhero comics in history so that's another thing to thank DC for because they started the superhero comics in the first place. WB has nothing to be ashamed off that's for sure. They have wanted to make a wonder woman movie since forever , they even have old scripts floating about in the internet ( thank god it was discarded ). They deserve all the credit for such a huge hit for the first big budged female lead superhero movie with a female director.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I agree with you. Ofcourse this is not everybody opinion, but I wanted a full blown cap movie after winter soldier.

Yup. The Bucky stuff sucked. And, honestly, not enough Cap. The most full blown Cap movie was the best full blown Cap movie... First Avenger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

SS had Joker and Batman all over the marketing, it was apparent that it was going to hit $100M on OW. MoS was the return of Superman in years in a new CBM gilded age which was hyped to full extent. WW was the first female superhero movie in years. We had a very prominent $100M+ OW club for it.

And people still don't predict these films based on potential.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd argue that BvS and Civil War, whether liked or not personally by the viewer, were two of bad things to come of it. Just overwhelming. Too much too quickly in both cases. Most were still were comfortable with the superheroes joining on either a smaller scale (Winter Soldier) or on the largest scale (Avengers, Justice League) every three years or so. I don't mind a few others joining the fray as Marvel's doing with Spidey, Thor, etc. And, as I'm sure the DCEU will do down the line. That's not as overwhelming. But, please, keep the big team ups limited to the Avengers and Justice League flicks.

Personally, I'm much, much more excited for Thor, Black Panther, Aquaman, Flash, etc. than Infinity War or Justice League. That's just me though...

I think that Avengers success created misconception that GA is just as excited about the team up of 100+ SH per movie as fanboys who know all those SH by name already. They are not. They generally care for few SH who have their own movies and the rest of them are just big interchangeable noise that needn't be there. Or something. I mean, if GA wanted so many SH in one movie than why X Men movies are not the highest grossing of all times?  I think that explains CW's atrocious multiplier despite critical circle jerk. People lost track of who is who and tuned out. hence why WOM didn't match fanboy enthusiasm.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I think that Avengers success created misconception that GA is just as excited about the team up of 100+ SH per movie as fanboys who know all those SH by name already. They are not. They generally care for few SH who have their own movies and the rest of them are just big interchangeable noise that needn't be there. Or something. I mean, if GA wanted so many SH in one movie than why X Men movies are not the highest grossing of all times?  I think that explains CW's atrocious multiplier despite critical circle jerk. People lost track of who is who and tuned out. hence why WOM didn't match fanboy enthusiasm.

Agreed. Same applies to critically acclaimed X-Men movies still having less than stellar multipliers as well.