CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

7 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

And people still don't predict these films based on potential.

When presales data came in I remember some where expecting a possible $150M+ OW for SS there was even a club for that too. I think @Telemachos had some fun MOS days from what I have heard. But I agree with people not predicting on potential.

22 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Sure there was the occasional hit, but superhero movies were still hard to crack back then. Sequels got worst and worst with each one.

It wasn't until recently that superheroes have become it's own genre that rivals some of the biggest blockbusters out here.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that. Unless you were around in 1989 you have no idea how much of a complete vacuum Batman was when it came out in the summer. It sucked the life out of everything including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. And then Batman Returns also set the opening weekend record Superman set the opening weekend record in 1978. Superhero movies were massive in the late 70s and 80s. True there were a few stinkers and they didn't saturate the market the way they do now but make no mistake about it they were huge.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that. Unless you were around in 1989 you have no idea how much of a complete vacuum Batman was when it came out in the summer. It sucked the life out of everything including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. And then Batman Returns also set the opening weekend record Superman set the opening weekend record in 1978. Superhero movies were massive in the late 70s and 80s. True there were a few stinkers and they didn't saturate the market the way they do now but make no mistake about it they were huge.

I think it's fair to say that CBM were huge until the Schumacher Batman films killed the momentum. Then it got revived with X-Men/Spider-Man and hit the renaissance with the start of the MCU and Nolan's Batman trilogy and it's been there ever since.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Why people are sure Thor 3  open over 100M?? TDW is bad

I don't think it's a sure thing at all, but I do like it's chances better than BP's. I think the excitement of Thor + Hulk (along with the allure of one of Marvel's best trailers ever) will bring more people to the theater than TDW did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Batman was a monster, it did the biggest star of that era in Jack Nicholson but I suspect it would been successful either way. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yeah, several people I know have told me that, when Batman came out, it dominated the pop culture landscape completely and inescapably, in a manner rarely seen before or since. A friend said that Batman was everything all people could talk about back then, and even in the sequel, for example, the search for the actress to play Catwoman was legendarily well known...

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I think it all started with big bang.

Wrong!

Our Universe is actually just a state of the art virtual simulation program created by a race of Giant Pandas, trying to understand the process of the growth of species and civilizations.

I am currently in a VR machine to get an up close and personal view.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I agree with you. Ofcourse this is not everybody opinion, but I wanted a full blown cap movie after winter soldier.

I agree. The problem with the stakes being too high, a world-sized threat, is that there's no chance of failure. If the Avengers fail to stop Ultron, humanity is done along with all the movies. Therefore there's no plausible chance the heroes will fail. 

But if Cap is trying to stop Hydra from robbing Ft Knox, you don't know how it'll turn out because Hydra could totally win, which would probably serve as a stepping stone to a future plot-point. Smaller stakes are actually more interesting.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Wrong!

Our Universe is actually just a state of the art virtual simulation program created by a race of Giant Pandas, trying to understand the process of the growth of species and civilizations.

I am currently in a VR machine to get an up close and personal view.

Pandas-

A post racial species who are both black and white.

So important that china uses them for diplomatic relations.

Eats bamboo, a easily available evergrowing grass. No one is more comfortable than them.

And now I learn about civilization controlling giant pandas!!!!!

Somebody think about red pandas too. 

• Like 1

Batman 89 hype was something unreal. The marketing was just everywhere. Every newsstand and magazine rack was like a posterboard collage for the movies. Arguably the biggest musical artist of the time had a completely goofy and awesome song in heavy rotation on the radio and MTV(which was a complete and utter juggernaut in those days). You couldn't buy snack foods or visit a fast food restaurant without having Keaton and crew plastered all over the packaging. I was 16 at the time and I remember one of the entertainment mags put out a special issue in the months leading up to release that featured photos and breakdowns of all of Batman's gadgets from the movies and had a centerfold of the Batmobile. That thing was reverantly passed among my friends like it was one of Dad's stolen Playboys. Not even any of the Star Wars films released since have accomplished the level of marketing carpet bombing that Batman 89 achieved. 

• Like 4

Iron Man is one of those legendary Hollywood stories like the making of Rocky or Star Wars.

It was a huge gamble from Marvel Studios.

They were tired of getting paid pennies for all these Marvel megablockbusters. So they took a huge gamble and got the director of Elf and scandalous hasbeen that Hollywood basically gave up on to create their own cinematic universe they would have complete control over. Had Iron Man flopped, Marvel would've lost the rights to not one, not two, but ALL of their biggest characters.

Well it was a break out smash and the rest is history.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Pandas-

A post racial species who are both black and white.

So important that china uses them for diplomatic relations.

Eats bamboo, a easily available evergrowing grass. No one is more comfortable than them.

And now I learn about civilization controlling giant pandas!!!!!

Somebody think about red pandas too. 

Hey, we don't control the civilizations.  Too much direct interference makes our results messy.

We would never force a group of artificial people elect somebody as inane as Donald Trump against their will.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Iron Man is one of those legendary Hollywood stories like the making of Rocky or Star Wars.

They were tired of getting paid pennies for all these Marvel megablockbusters. So they took a huge gamble and got the director of Elf and scandalous hasbeen that Hollywood basically gave up on to create their own cinematic universe they would have complete control over. Had Iron Man flopped, Marvel would've lost the rights to not one, not two, but ALL of their biggest characters.

Rocky?? Jesus. Star Wars??

No way near "like" those two's status. At all.

Definitely no where near the gamble and pay-off that Rocky was.

Edited by thelich343

1 minute ago, thelich343 said:

Rocky?? Jesus. Star Wars??

No way near "like" those two's status. At all.

Definitely no where near the gamble and pay-off that Rocky was.

And he forgot about the gamble that was superman. 

Iron man is a great box office story but not among the greatest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah, that's a terrific story. I get that the wom was great and the movie legged it past 300. I liked it a lot too. What's surprising is how they got marketing spot on. That they got to open to 100m odd back then amazing.

10 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Michelle Pfeiffer and Anne Hathaway have the best female performances in a superhero movie...coincidentally playing the same character. 

If one looks at the big blockbuster CBMs then Pfeiffer yeah. Anne wasn't great to me. Pfeiffer had a spark, mischief and tenderness even playing a tougher character that Anne didn't have.

Beyond the big CBMs, there are performances like Portman's in V for Vendetta could be ranked far higher imo.

Still haven't seen WONDR, but Gadot is getting a lot of love.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1