CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

8 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Michelle Pfeiffer and Anne Hathaway have the best female performances in a superhero movie...coincidentally playing the same character. 

THANK YOU for acknowledging Hathaway. Her take on Selina was so great and ,sadly, so underrated.She had me from her first scene from the way she transitioned from a scared little girl to a manipulative bitch (well cat)!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Michelle Pfeiffer and Anne Hathaway have the best female performances in a superhero movie...coincidentally playing the same character. 

What about the other Oscar-winning actress who got to play the character?

2348795-hello_tags_pink_halle_berry_cat_

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, thelich343 said:

Rocky?? Jesus. Star Wars??

No way near "like" those two's status. At all.

Definitely no where near the gamble and pay-off that Rocky was.

Okay, I'll play your game.

How was the risk and reward bigger for Rocky than it was for Iron Man?

:popcorn:

Edited by grey ghost

Hathaway's Catwoman was verily watered down. Pfeiffer's Catwoman was terrifically acted and written, but I still feel that character should have been Poison Ivy and not Catwoman. Uma Thurman played a very superficial version of Ivy but god bless her for having loads of fun with it. 

I'm scared for Gotham City Sirens now. They are possibly the most complex female figures in comics and while I don't find Ayer offensive like many other folks do, I would hate to see this movie savaged by the critics like SS, or worse, like Catwoman.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Batman 89 hype was something unreal. The marketing was just everywhere. Every newsstand and magazine rack was like a posterboard collage for the movies. Arguably the biggest musical artist of the time had a completely goofy and awesome song in heavy rotation on the radio and MTV(which was a complete and utter juggernaut in those days). You couldn't buy snack foods or visit a fast food restaurant without having Keaton and crew plastered all over the packaging. I was 16 at the time and I remember one of the entertainment mags put out a special issue in the months leading up to release that featured photos and breakdowns of all of Batman's gadgets from the movies and had a centerfold of the Batmobile. That thing was reverantly passed among my friends like it was one of Dad's stolen Playboys. Not even any of the Star Wars films released since have accomplished the level of marketing carpet bombing that Batman 89 achieved. 

Agreed, Batman 89 was massive. There was nothing like it ever at the time with the movie, music and merchandising all at the same time.  I think it was the first movie where the toy companies were involved early in the production. Which is pretty standard today.

It was the also first movie to hit home video under 6 or so months at an affordable price (under $30). Before then it took months or even years for movies on VHS to be cheap enough for purchase.

Edited by ProtoMan
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Wrong!

Our Universe is actually just a state of the art virtual simulation program created by a race of Giant Pandas, trying to understand the process of the growth of species and civilizations.

I am currently in a VR machine to get an up close and personal view.

Somebody's been watching too much Rick and Morty.

Just kidding! You can never watch too much Rick and Morty.

UCuhk9w.gif

• Like 1

Hathaway was sensational in TDKR and it was my favorite performance in the film. The two best performances in the entire series come from Ledger and Hathaway. Selina Kyle will always be the most fascinating character in the DCEU universe for me because of how grey she is. Anyway...I'm sure Pfeiffer wanted to give Hathaway a massive hug for doing the character justice after the abortion of a performance from Halle Berry. 

I think with the new iterations of both Spider-Man and Batman, they should rest the iconic villains in favour of ones not done yet in live action. Both have tons of villains who haven't yet been done in live action

35 minutes ago, thelich343 said:

Rocky?? Jesus. Star Wars??

No way near "like" those two's status. At all.

Definitely no where near the gamble and pay-off that Rocky was.

Based on budget and resultant box office Rocky was a bigger pay off in percentage terms than IM

But anyone who knows anything about the marvel situation and the gamble they took with IM production knows how huge the risk they were taking was. If IM had failed not only would Marvel lose hundreds millions of dollars but would be hundreds of millions of dollar in debt and would lose the right to almost all of their remeining major characters including the avengers. To suggest that the gamble and risk was greater with rocky is laughable. 

Also in terms of box office. Rocky movies on average adjust to less than IM movies adjusted in domestic market. And worldwide rocky is no where near to IM in terms of popularity

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that. Unless you were around in 1989 you have no idea how much of a complete vacuum Batman was when it came out in the summer. It sucked the life out of everything including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. And then Batman Returns also set the opening weekend record Superman set the opening weekend record in 1978. Superhero movies were massive in the late 70s and 80s. True there were a few stinkers and they didn't saturate the market the way they do now but make no mistake about it they were huge.

This is what you get when dealing with inexperienced comic fans.

They have  no knowledge  DC started it all or Marvel had just as much stinkers.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think with the new iterations of both Spider-Man and Batman, they should rest the iconic villains in favour of ones not done yet in live action. Both have tons of villains who haven't yet been done in live action

Any villian can be made to look good, as long as they do it correctly and get the right actor for the part.

Look at Vulture for Spidey, Keaton knocked out of the park. I thought they did an awesome job with Bane as well in DKR.

Just now, Brainiac5 said:

This is what you get when dealing with inexperienced comic fans.

They have  no knowledge  DC started it all or Marvel had just as much stinkers.

My advantage is I was born in 1972 so even though I don't remember much about Superman at the theater I do recall 1989 pretty much with Crystal clarity. I'm far from a comic book fan but I just know that Superman and Batman were massive movies when they first came out.

• Like 2