CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

18 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Heard somebody say it's outpacing WW on Fandango.

Fandango reported this officially, I think.

As of Thursday morning, Homecoming is outpacing Wonder Woman, which opened with $103 million, at the same point in the Fandango ticket sales cycle.

Edited by Lake

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I might try to fit in a rewatch of the Raimi movies Saturday morning before I see this. There's something intangible about those movies I can't put a finger on. They feel like BLOCKBUSTERS. The tone, the music, the style all blend together to create an epic, truly blockbuster cinematic experience. I can't explain in words why, but they just feel bigger than movies do today. The way they create a universe and stakes combined with how they were shot to feel like the biggest thing you'd see on screen in years. That's my problem with the MCU, DCU, SWU, XU, etc...even at their very best, they feel kind of like high-end TV episodes instead of large-scale blockbusters, despite their budgets. This is probably the biggest compliment I'd pay Wonder Woman, for what it's worth. 

It's the same deal with a bunch of those pre-3D, pre-cinematic universe blockbusters. LOTR, Verbinski's Pirates movies, King Kong 2005, historical epics like Master and Commander and Troy. You occasionally get that breathtaking larger-than-life feeling in a blockbuster today (Fury Road springs to mind, Nolan's recent films for whatever faults they have also bring those moments) but on the whole it's become more rare, while blockbusters themselves are flooding the theaters more and more. 

• Like 1

No kidding about movies back long ago. Watched Independence Day and I was amazed even today how big of a scale that movie feels like. That movie is a big dumb action movie. Feels much more bigger than anything today.

this isn't just a film nerd thing, even my dad has said to me "how come movies don't feel big anymore?". i dunno what it is, if it's the way they're making them or i'm just older and less liable to be wowed. i suspect it's a little of both columns.

• Like 5

@PRESIDENT BKB has been threadbanned from this thread for posting spoilers. Further posting in this thread will lead to a forum-wide ban.

All users - Please refrain from posting spoilers without clearly specifying as such in this thread. When posting info in spoiler tags, make sure to provide context, such as 

Homecoming Spoilers follow

Spoiler

Everyone is a ghost

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this isn't just a film nerd thing, even my dad has said to me "how come movies don't feel big anymore?". i dunno what it is, if it's the way they're making them or i'm just older and less liable to be wowed. i suspect it's a little of both columns.

It's because they shoot everything inside a parking lot in Atlanta these days. Compare that shit to 2005 King Kong or something. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Its all a matter of perspective - Troy, King Kong, Mad Max -- even LOTR  in terms of locations and scope aren't exactly Laurence of Arabia , Doctor Zhivago, El Cid , Cleopatra or Ben Hur either.

True, but they're closer to those than they are to an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, at least.

One thing that makes certain movies feel just enormous in scale are mass scenes with hundreds or thousands of people. Films like Lawrence of Arabia, Waterloo or Cleopatra feel (for me) much bigger than something like The Avengers were everything also looks huge, but you just know its all CGI, nothing is real. Modern epics like LOTR, Troy or Gladiator use ofc CGI, but most of the time only for wide shots; in close combat, the people/Creatures are real and that makes everything so much more believable - and: There were stakes. LOTR: the excinction of all piecefull life in Middle-Earth; Lawrence of Arabia: The War in the middle east beeing a crucial part of World War 1. As fun as i find the airport scene in Civil War, it was utterly suspenseless. We know nothing is really going to happen. Heck, before the film was going to theaters, we knew all actors would return in Infinity War. The bottom line: We enjoy it, but (many) dont actually care. The stakes in a lot of big blockbusters nowadays feel much smaller than before. Add to that the overreliance of CGI and we as the audience dont feel that invested anymore as before. In a film like Braveheart, everything was believable, because they filmed the battles all in camera, all of that really happended with the actors and thus the same experience for them is that of the viewer.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

BKB was for the Avengers 1 thread too, right? Bodes well for Spidey.

Reveal hidden contents

And Iron Man 3, and Thor 2, and Winter Soldier, and Guardians, and Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange. The only ones he was around for were Ultron and Civil War IIRC. He pretty much manages to not be around when a Marvel movie releases.

• Like 2

I think someone else mentioned this already, but...how can a film feel epic and large-scope nowadays when we literally have a big-scale blockbuster wannabe opening every single week.

We are just large-scope-jaded... :P 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think technical aspects definitely play a big role. The proper mix of practical effects and CGI (just compare LOTR to the Hobbits), the score, knowing how to build up to an epic moment and then shoot it (down to the lighting, color, and angle) and edit it - the combination of all that in the hands of talented people used to be more prominent imo. Movies that still feel big today (MMFR, The Hateful Eight, The Lost City of Z) retain that careful approach no matter their actual budget, but more and more blockbusters seem to be chasing quicker thrills. I do wonder if there are 12-year-old kids today for whom something like Civil War seems as big today as Raimi's Spidey films did to me a decade ago.