CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

So, what would be everyone's reaction if this got to $15m in previews?

That it would be only $2M less than GOTG 2, so we'd be looking at a really good weekend.  I'm hoping it will be that high (or higher:)...

• Like 1

Just now, Cochofles said:

:( Jesus...seven frickin' decades of sharing your life with someone. His heart must be beyond broken; I would not be shocked if we lost him soon...

I know right? That's a legit life time. And I'll be devastated when that happens :( 

2 minutes ago, Orestes said:

All this talk about King Kong '05 being big and all i remember is the actors running in place infront of green screen dinosaurs.

The old NYC scenes looked much better than the stuff in the jungle.

Movies vary though.  LOTR looked it's best with the real sets for the Hobbits and while trekking through the mountains and rivers of New Zealand. Meanwhile running through Khazad Dum looks like a cut scene from a video game.  Unfortunately so much of the Hobbit films looked the latter more than the former.

Mad Max?  For most of the movie it didn't look any different than the ones he did for a fraction of the cost in the 1980s.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I know right? That's a legit life time. And I'll be devastated when that happens :( 

I don’t even want to think about it. :( Everyone who loves comic books will certainly be destroyed by the news. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Ive watched a lot of epics from the 40s to the 70s and (ofc thats just my personal opinion) and compared to them The Avengers feels smaller in scale. The scenes themselves contain a lot more "big things" (i mean a whole city gets crapped on in the last act) but it just looks like really good CGI for me. Dont get me wrong, i love most Comic book movies and TA1 is one of my favourites - but no scene has the pure awe-inspiring scale of Lawrence of Arabia. Because i know, there really were thousands of people clashing -  and i know the actors in TA1 just looked at tennis balls.

I feel the opposite. The cgi and added affects have made the movies today much more bigger in scale than those in the past times. I admire movies like Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, etc for being classic, but they don't hold a candle to current movies. Star Wars '77 effectively ended that era of film making 40's-70's. People talk about Lotr, but even that movie used a buttload of cgi.

Take pacific rim for an example. Movie felt big in scale, much bigger than a lot of older movies. 

Edited by KJsooner

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

So, what would be everyone's reaction if this got to $15m in previews?

I don't expect less than 8x the previews for the OW and going by that, 120-125 would become a certainty with 15m previews.

On the higher end would expect 9x and 130-135 ow.

Would consider 125-130 ow to be most realistic.

I think previews will be 12-14 giving an ow range of 96-126 using 8-9x.

13 previews, 8.5x and 110.5 ow as the average.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I would say the "lack of bigness" resonates with me most on regards to ID:R last year. The alien ship in that is one of the biggest fucking things we've ever seen attack the earth, but the threat absolutely feels smaller than the original.

I am still crushed at how damn disappointing ID:R was. Trailers made it look pretty epic and then we got...what we got, for the actual movie. First Independence Day was and still is glorious cheesy fun. 

That Bill Pullman hype speech...WHEW, still awesome. 

• Like 3

Damn Stan Lee needs lots of love and support right now.

Let's not forget Debbie Reynold's virtually died of a broken heart when Carrie Fisher passed.

Nothing could possibly prepare anyone for losing a spouse of 70 years. Dear lord.

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, cannastop said:

No modern blockbuster has an equivalent of this:

I love that scene, but I believe that nostalgia plays a big part here. It's a great scene, but Mad Max: Fury Road, Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol 1 and vol 2), Logan, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Skyfall, Toy Story 3, Inception, The Dark Knight, etc. All have a lot of great scenes.