Plain Old Tele

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I found the movie okay. It was a little over long and dragged in parts like the D.C. scene. I though Michael Keaton was the best part. It plays like a typical spider man. The acting was good. I thought the vulture being related to the Liz was kinda weak.  Some of the humor worked and some did not. A typical marvel movie. 

3/5. 

• Community Manager

Amazing. Easily the best Spiderman movie. Funny, great action scenes, and a character arc that works great. The movie never forget that Peter Parker is just a kid...one who isn't even old enough to have a driver's license. Tom Holland is the new Spiderman in my heart (sorry Tobey). Zendaya is fantastic as MJ. Peter's best friend stole most of the scenes he was in: great asset to the film.

A-

• Like 6

After a very good spiderman in Tobey Maguire, a below average one in Andrew Garfield, we have a perfect Spiderman in Tom Holland. The movie is a high energy entertainer. The humor is top notch. 

Action is fairly good. Tom Holland is a joy to watch. Spiderman's interaction with his buddy Ned is superb. Zendaya was ok. Michael Keaton was a realistic yet menacing villain. RDJ did exactly what was nedeed. Happy's conversation with Parker in the restroom was priceless. Marisa Tomei is good but her role is minimal.

Spiderman Homecoming is the best time I had at the movies this year. It is a perfect family entertainer. It is on par with Raimi's first two movies. Absolutely loved the movie.

Rating: A

• Like 2

Guys!!! Spider-man is back baby!!! 

So after the second time viewing this film, I wanted to see how it held and oh boy did it hold up. I absolutely love love love this film. And Tom Holland....hats off to you kid because this guy IS Spider-man! I'm sorry I ever doubted you or this movie. 

The one thing that I really loved about this movie is it made me care for the side characters. Not in the sense that they got huge developments or anything but I actually wanted to see MORE of them on screen. Zendaya with her quick hitters and Ned being the secret sidekick. 

Michael Keaton did such an awesome job as Vulture. He is the best MCU villain and it's not even close. 

For me theres honestly nothing I didn't like about this movie. It is the perfect mix of action, humor, emotion and allows its actors to really bring their characters to life.  And the music had me bopping while I was in the theaters! 

Also I wasn't sure how Iron Man would work in this film....but the way comes and goes is perfect. 

This movie is perfect. 

A++++ 

GO WATCH IT EVERYBODY! 

• Like 1

I don't think it's a bad movie but I didn't like it. 

It felt less like a stand alone Spider-Man story and more like an Avengers side film. And I hated what they did with Spidey Sense. The suit basically turned into Iron Mans with it's own voice. A lot of the things that make the character what he is are now just features of a super high tech suit.

Like it makes sense with the robotic eyes but I think that's as far as they should have gone with this idea. Holland may have good chemistry with Karen but this huge change felt so unnecessary. I thought the film would remedy this by showing Peter learning to use his abilities without the suit but it's never even explored when Tony takes it away.

Spider-Mans origin just feels so attached to Tony Stark and Happy now and the endless amounts of references or cameos to the MCU throughout the film didn't help. It felt like overkill....like yeah, I get it...this is a film set in the Marvel universe. You don't have to keep telling me. 

Michael Keaton was a lot better then I expected but right off the bat....SHIELD (or whatever) would never have let that company keep those materials to let Vulture and his crew get that far. And how did a bunch of guys of a salvage company become these great scientists? And how can Peter take so many hits and then get knocked out from bumping his head on the top of a truck? Just a few scenes earlier we see him falling from the sky with the parachute doing very little to protect him. 

I can't put my finger on it but something felt off about the whole thing and I thought it had very little heart that made the first two Raimi movies so special.

I'm sure a lot will enjoy it but I walked out pretty bummed. And I really didn't like how this removed Mary Jane and revealed Peters identity to Aunt May either.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

Really quite a wonderful, enjoyable romp. As many have already discussed, Tom Holland is the perfect Spider-Man; funny, quirky, athletic and capturing everything I want out of a teen Peter Parker. It's going to be a joy watching him and the character evolve for presumably the next ten plus years. The rest of the cast is great, too; this is only the second acting credit for Jacob Batalon but he is a scene stealer, and everyone else does great with what they're given (some not quite enough, but more on that later). And it is hilarious; the John Hughes influence leads to the funniest MCU film to date.

Special mention needs to be given to Michael Keaton, who for my money, turns The Vulture into at least the second best MCU villain to date. He has understandable motivations, well-written dialogue, and Keaton brings his own flair to it. He is 90% of the way to being a truly great character, missing just a bit more time to stand up to the giants. That said, everything from his reveal as Liz's father (a true audience gasping moment) onward is just phenomenal. Keaton achieves a level of menace that is very rare for a modern day comic-book film. The car scene is a standout for the whole year, let alone the film.

One of the cleverest aspects of this film is its total subversion of the typical Spider-Man origin story, while still operating as precisely that. Instead of forcing us to see Uncle Ben gunned for the nth time, the film is about a young and impatient Spidey realizing he cannot forgo the Peter Park part of his life. He may be the only Avenger with a secret identity, but it is the young kid that can make him the best and most relatable of them all, the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. Another great element: this film is a poster child for multi-ethnic casting that does not remotely feel forced.

The largest negative of the film is simply put, the amount of the film spent on each element. Tony Stark, Aunt May, the high school segments, Liz, Michelle, etc. I enjoyed all of these, but just like The Vulture, additional time for each (ok, perhaps not for Stark depending on how you feel about the character) could have elevated this to true greatness. It's almost sacrilege to suggest it in the age of bloated blockbusters, but this film could have benefited from a 2.5 hour runtime.

The other negative that came to mind is that the action scenes are, overall, not terribly impressive. Perfectly acceptable with some degree of inventiveness, but nothing in comparison to the Doc Ock fights in Raimi's first sequel. This fits with the Peter Parker in this one, but it is still something that I was longing for. The mid-credits villain tease suggests Homecoming 2 will deliver the goods on this front.

This was probably the most fun I have had at the theaters since John Wick 2. That a film made in a partnership between two studios with no less than six credited writers works as well as this is a minor miracle.

B+

• Like 2

Liked quite a bit about this one... Especially him running through a golf course and neighborhood because nothing was available to attach his web to. But, I'll admit I missed the Spider Sense and, not entirely fair, the film not even remotely matching the inventive action beats of Spidey/Spidey 2. Gripe aside. Solid B. Keaton, Holland and Harrier really drove home the films themes/heart. Nice, little arc. And, the high school stuff really gave a smile.

B.

• Like 2

Grade: A-

Highly enjoyable film. Tom Holland is a superb Peter Parker, something that the Andrew Garfield version never achieved, failing right out of the gate. 

It still doesn't best Spider-man 2(Maguire) for best live action film though. 

Pros:

• Holland as Peter/SM
  • Keaton as Toombs/Vulture
  • The minor inclusion of the Shocker genesis. 
  • Mac Gargan on the boat and mid-credit sequence, aka The Scorpion. Just who are his "friends"?
  • Ned, that actor and Holland had great chemistry
  • Donald Glover as "a" Prowler. Prowler is Hobie Brown to me they are using the Ultimate version of Aaron Davis because the casual mention of him having a nephew. Now that would be Miles Morales, so long game plans could be afoot.
  • The didn't see it coming plot twist of Toombs being Liz Allen's dad!!
  • Happy Hogan in a solid support role in lieu of too much actual Tony Stark. Pepper Potts!!
  • The jazzed up Spider-man Avenger suit which I hope we see in action for Avengers Infinity War
  • The Captain America "cameos" and end credit sequence!! LOL!!
  • No mention or hint of Osborn. I felt they would try to squeeze a mention of name drop in cause they "felt" they must...and they didn't!!
  • How they wove this story into the backdrop of the MCU
  • We got a complete H.S. Spider-man story. And likely could in a sequel as Peter is a Sophomore or Junior(I don't recall we were told), cause Ned emphasizes how big a deal it is to get a Senior girl. Even Rami's SM1 only has Peter in HS for the first half of the film.

MEH:

• Aunt May: she just didn't have any real impact like other Mays seemingly have had
  • Spider-suit: a little too much Stark-esque but I allow for that given how they've written him late in the game for MCU inclusion. 
  • Liz Allen: she was adequate in the roll, cute at times, likable even but only stood out a little over the other H.S. cast

Cons:

The H.S. supporting cast outside Ned was butchered and dull. The debate coach/teacher was funny in his own way.

• Flash never felt like the bully I expect. He was a nerd bully of sorts, an actual peer to Peter which is not what the dynamic of those two is about. They are intellectual and physical opposites, not here.
  • Michelle, or the worst kept secret since Cumberbatch as Khan, MJ, is technically not Mary Jane but they went with MJ to what be sly/coy/ironic? The name thing aside I didn't enjoy her blasé characterization at all. Her "too cool" for the other 'nerds' approach felt very off to me because at every turn she still was there, in the group dynamic. That doesn't jive with the blasé attitude she put off. She wouldn't be pool side, she wouldn't be at that party (or was she?) cause she wouldn't feel the need to be involved, it's beneath her or not interesting enough. 
  • Betty Brant being a very minor "of age" peer instead of an older woman Peter will eventually have a crush on. Her inclusion felt ham fisted to me.

Where is his Spider-Sense? That ability doesn't just alert him to deathly danger it alerts him of presences and then based on the familiarity or lack thereof it's triggered with more or less intensity. At any rate Ned nor Aunt May should've been able to "sneak-up" on him and make their discoveries.

------

While I enjoyed all the exposition and time spent getting to know Peter as he gets to know his suit and we the cast it did feel like it was dragging in places. I can see a few chapter skips upon subsequent home viewings.

Ranking Time:

1. Spider-Man 2

2. Homecoming

3. Spider-man 1

4. Spider-man 3

5. TASM

6. TASM 2

• Like 1

I hate Marvel openings. I wanted to throw something at the screen like most of there movies intros. They don't even want to make films anymore. They want TV shows.

You cant properly find a way to introduce Vulture in the script or actually movie. So they just start the film twice. Does Marvel even count these as a part of the movie? or just set up for movie your about to watch? Its a full on TV show. 

What happened to character revels oh heres a two shot of our villain right away, oh look in 4 minutes he stand in dirt and we get a fucking massive Exposition dumb because they aren't smart or talented enough to figure our how to actually organically put these things in the film. WTF I don't need to know EVERYthing about a character, espaically a villain in one scene pre movie.  

If Marvel made Back to the Future it would open with DOC alone in his house/bathroom talking to him self. he falls, he hits his head, he come sup with the idea for the Flux Capacitor .

Boom Marvel into and we cut into MJ Fox playing the guitar. Then 10 minutes in when he meets doc, and his character is re-introduced. In undercuts the flow of the movie A, but it also ruins character revels and takes away any mystery or figuring stuff out for the audience. Thats the whole point of movies. slowly letting out the info we need. 

Imagine if they made Terminator 1. In that film we don't know anything backstory wise till like 45 minutes in. Why are they there? who exactly are they? Why are they important? We slowly learn all these things over the course of the first act. Thats what makes that movie a classic.

If Marvel made it, the movie would start and we would see A robot getting an Arnold face or something then cut the credits then actually opening. We would then know everything and the movie would be lame. 

Its like Spidy 1 just opened with the Goblin learning he has to go back to formula then cut the opening credits. 

Ant-man does it poorly and Thor 2 is the worst at it though, it flat out ruins the whole movie in that case. Here is a gripe. But non of my favorite film or best blockbusters of all time start with a Gripe yet most Marvel film do. 

hahaha besides that I actually had a blast. I LOVE SPIDER-MAN so I was jazzed. This truly feels like the real Spider-Man this is WHO he is. Tom Holland is perfect, his friend Jacob steals the show. The movie works best when its low scale just focusing on the characters. Obviously no action set piece comes anywhere close to the train scene in SM2. Wasn't really a big fan of the final set piece ether. I think its funny the lead chick just moves away after a whole movie of talking about her. Wish she had a bigger Part. And the MJ scene reminded me of TDKR Robin stuff. I thought the pacing was actually pretty good too, I always was having fun. I hate typing and I'm bad at it, so Im gonna stop, but Ill have lots more positives to talk about and go into on the podcast.

I always come off more negative the first time I watch movies. But you then accept it for what it is and can just enjoy it. 

B (86) for now

Edit: also Its actually ranked my 3rd best film of this year so far and the best blockbuster of the year. I liked it more than Logan & WW. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 5

I really hate in the beginning with spider man filming the stuff from civil war. So unnecessary. It felt like saying "hey this connected to the MCU audience!!! And go back and watch civil war again. If they were going to keep it maybe have Peter set his phone to film the action scenes and upload them to YouTube so instead of taking pictures he uploads videos of spider man on YouTube.  The first acted did pick up after that but it took me out of the movie. 

1 minute ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I really hate in the beginning with spider man filming the stuff from civil war. So unnecessary. It felt like saying "hey this connected to the MCU audience!!! And go back and watch civil war again. If they were going to keep it maybe have Peter set his phone to film the action scenes and upload them to YouTube so instead of taking pictures he uploads videos of spider man on YouTube.  The first acted did pick up after that but it took me out of the movie. 

He did upload videos to YouTube though. Not the stuff with The Avengers because he wasn't allowed but there were other videos of Spidey on YouTube and he was watching one of them. 

I made the assumption that he was the one uploading them only because of that CW scene you mentioned. Had that not been in there, I would have thought the YouTube bits were random. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Counterpoint: it's a nice foreshadow to his future career where he pays the bills by posing for photos for himself as Spiderman. He's already doing that but in a 21st century way.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Counterpoint: it's a nice foreshadow to his future career where he pays the bills by posing for photos for himself as Spiderman. He's already doing that but in a 21st century way.

I would like him to do it more maybe when he tried to stop the gun sale on time or the bank robbery and he fails to record it. 

• Like 1

I was worried that the full film wouldn't be able to live up to the tantalizing tease from Spider-Man's appearance in Captain America: Civil War, but Spider-Man: Homecoming is exactly the massively entertaining, self-assured, and occasionally heartfelt movie the franchise needed. Whereas the 2012 and 2014 "Amazing" films stumbled through awkward re-creations of Spidey's mythos and desperate attempts to build a wide-ranging franchise long before settling the drama in each individual film, Homecoming settles in right away with its appealing characters, appropriately-scaled plot, and consistently effective humor. I never thought I would want to see a Spider-Man movie all about Peter Parker's experience in high school, but the filmmakers embrace the setting so effectively and so completely that it feels not only like a terrific superhero film, but also one of the better high school-set comedies in recent memory. Tom Holland goes a long way toward making the film as special as it is. Just like in Civil War, he has no trouble easing into the role with equal parts verve, likability, and vulnerability. As well as Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield worked with what they were given, Holland immediately surpasses both of them with a Spider-Man that finally embraces Peter Parker's wide-eyed wonder and genuine fun as the titular webslinger (hehe). Michael Keaton is also terrific as the Vulture; even though the MCU's villains don't make for a particularly high bar to clear, his performance marks the best villainous turn the cinematic universe has seen since at least James Spader's enjoyable acerbic Ultron, if not longer. In addition to the fact that the Vulture gets a far more credible motivation for his villainy, Keaton also imbues him with the necessary everyman qualities to make him a more complex villain than we've seen in this shared universe. I smiled pretty broadly through most of the running time and left the auditorium immediately wanting more.

A-

Stray Observations:

- I know many other people surely noticed this point long before I did and pointed it out, but: Michael Keaton is Birdman again! I couldn't help but wonder what Riggan Thompson would have felt about getting a role like this one after the end of his own film.

- The soundtrack was rock-solid, save for the fact that it really needed more alt-j and MGMT in light of Civil War and the trailer, respectively.

- After seeing every previous Spider-Man film - especially the final Raimi/Maguire one and both Webb/Garfield installments - try to deliver the biggest spectacle possible, I greatly enjoyed seeing this one take a relatively smaller approach in its third act.

- Let's get the ball rolling on Miller & Lord directing the sequel. As cool as Jon Watts's work is here, I couldn't help but think what fun Miller & Lord would have with a big-budget high school comedy about a superhero.

- Props to the filmmakers for not even bothering with Uncle Ben. Watching Andrew Garfield and Martin Sheen try so hard to wring a genuine emotional reaction from such a perfunctory scene was one of the more frustrating moments of The Amazing Spider-Man.

- We now have a Spider-Man who is nearly six years younger than me. Damn, I'm getting old.

- And now, the Spoilery Stuff: 

Spoiler

I honestly did not see the Keaton twist coming. It's the coolest, cleverest familial reveal this side of Crazy Stupid Love.

- I did, however, see the "Michelle is MJ" thing coming from a mile away. On top of the fact that Zendaya walks away with every single scene she's in, she's also a far more entertaining character than the actual, bland love interest - one of the film's few obvious shortcomings. I loved how her "sit-ups" in the gym scene were simply moving a book up and down.

- The Captain America videos were hilarious. Way to troll the audience with the stinger, guys.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

It hasn't even been 24 hours and I've already forgotten large portions of this film. I didn't see the Michael Keaton twist coming but that was one of the only elements of Homecoming that surprised me. Besides that....this is a largely stake-less affair like most films set in the MCU. That scene aboard the barge should have been a lot more intense but as soon as it seems like there's going to be actual danger to the people on board....oh here's Iron Man to immediately save everyone!

I guess I'm in the minority compared to the 4.5/5 Flixster rating but this film didn't work for me. I just wanted to watch Baby Driver again or go see A Ghost Story (damn you limited release) when it was over. IMO this version of the character just isn't as compelling as he used to be, due to his origin now being so interconnected with Stark and it sucks to say that as a big Spider-Man fan.

Like I watched Before I Fall the night before and that has stayed with me a lot longer then this did which is surprising.

We should have seen Peter grow into becoming this grand hero but we never got that outside of the very brief lifting scene in the warehouse. He loses the suit, likes being just Peter, meets Liz's dad and then immediately goes back to being who he was. He doesn't remedy any of his reckless behavior (which the movie goes great lengths to show). He doesn't learn anything or change in that period without the suit. So what was the point? As a testing period to become a Avenger?

I don't care about The Avengers, I like Spider-Mans universe and that's what I came to see.

And hearing Peter actually panic and cry for help was not in line with the character to me. Like I get he's a kid and all but this seemed so much different then the interpretation of the character in Civil War. And this had such a generic score for such a big character...and I guess people liked the humor a lot more then me because I hardly remember any of Spideys quips. They were way better in that hanger fight.

Again, I know I'm in the minority and I'm sure kids will have a great time but I found it completely forgettable. - B- (since I didn't actually rate it in my first thoughts)

And rankings:
1) Spider-Man 2
2) Spider-Man
3) Spider-Man: Homecoming
4) Spider-Man 3
5) The Amazing Spider Man

6) The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

I loved it. Not gonna claim everything was perfect, but there were a lot more hits than misses for me.

Too many good parts to go on and list so here's things that didn't work. Not bashing the film one bit whatsoever, just saying what didn't work for me:

In the beginning when they're dealing with the aftermath of the first avengers movie, right after that scene it said 8 years later. So does avengers take place in 2009 or does this take place in 2020? 

I didn't mind zendaya but I didn't like that she ended up being MJ. Like, at least give her the name Mary Jane Watson and give her red hair if she's gonna be MJ. Not hating on zendaya as an actress playing MJ, just not liking the name change and hair color.

Happy was kind of a dick right up until the end and he wasn't like his character in previous films at all.

Betty Brant. I don't even need to say anything else about that. 

Spidey sense did seem kind of watered down/ignored.

Off the top of my head, I can't wait think of anything else that bothered me. 

I don't know if I'd put this as the single best Spider-Man film, but at least on par with being the best. Top half of the MCU for sure. 

Edited by cheesypoofs
  • Like 1