CAYOM 3.0 Year 1 (2017) Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Spaghetti's "How to Play" post says three weeks to a month, but considering this is the first game in a new iteration I feel like special discussion is warranted. The important thing is that we pick a deadline we can actually stick to - if we have to cut it off before some entries are finished we need to be willing to do so, but at the same time we should choose a date where people could realistically finish at least most of their submissions. Is October a serious suggestion? Seems long to me.

I had last week of August in mind when I was planning to manage Part 1. Enough time to let everyone work on their stuff (and it closes just as school starts) but not long enough to stall the game.

And I suggest you direct people in the thread title to read the rules in the first post seeing how some people ignored the rules I put up in the advance schedule thread. :angry:

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

Just now, Xillix said:

"Two months" and "end of August" aren't too far apart and both seem pretty reasonable. What if we compromise and say Labor Day? I know a lot of schools start the day after that.

Sounds reasonable.

16 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Spaghetti's "How to Play" post says three weeks to a month, but considering this is the first game in a new iteration I feel like special discussion is warranted. The important thing is that we pick a deadline we can actually stick to - if we have to cut it off before some entries are finished we need to be willing to do so, but at the same time we should choose a date where people could realistically finish at least most of their submissions. Is October a serious suggestion? Seems long to me.

As a busy person who wants to put real effort in this game I think 2 months or 2and a half months is what I could realisticly do

@Xillix

The opening post on Part 1 looks good but I have a few quibbles:

I don't think the rule about limited releases is going to work out so well in the long run. It'll be too much to keep track of for everyone involved. The rule we had in 2.0 made it simpler for everyone even if it wasn't the most realistic (and if a movie tanks in limited releases it gets punished by tanking in wide release so everything works out).

And I wouldn't implement such hard rules on release dates either. Some movies do release on Wednesdays and Thursdays even on non-holiday weekends (TF5 being the most recent example).

17 minutes ago, cookie said:

@Xillix

The opening post on Part 1 looks good but I have a few quibbles:

I don't think the rule about limited releases is going to work out so well in the long run. It'll be too much to keep track of for everyone involved. The rule we had in 2.0 made it simpler for everyone even if it wasn't the most realistic (and if a movie tanks in limited releases it gets punished by tanking in wide release so everything works out).

And I wouldn't implement such hard rules on release dates either. Some movies do release on Wednesdays and Thursdays even on non-holiday weekends (TF5 being the most recent example).

How is prohibiting platform expansions more to keep track of? The idea behind the rule was that it was simpler that way.

I can definitely relax the weekends only rule though. Again was intended for the sake of ease of calculating box office numbers but I'm not the one who's gonna do that, so... :P

15 minutes ago, Xillix said:

How is prohibiting platform expansions more to keep track of? The idea behind the rule was that it was simpler that way.

You're leaving it up to the person doing the actuals to decide how a movie should expand, and that is likely to cause disagreements. Plus, how are people even supposed to make predictions?

I think you misunderstood. It's prohibiting any expansion at all.

"Limited releases are allowed, however, they have to stay limited and cannot expand into platform release. Expansions for limited films don't make sense to schedule in advance as they are decisions made based on success which you have no way of knowing whether you will achieve yet. Assume the theater count your film has at opening is the widest release it will have."

Is there a better way to phrase it?

Edited by Xillix

2 minutes ago, Xillix said:

I think you misunderstood. It's prohibiting any expansion at all.

"Limited releases are allowed, however, they have to stay limited and cannot expand into platform release. Expansions for limited films don't make sense to schedule in advance as they are decisions made based on success which you have no way of knowing whether you will achieve yet. Assume the theater count your film has at opening is the widest release it will have."

Is there a better way to phrase it?

That kind of defeats the purpose in having limited releases altogether since the point behind it is to build buzz. Then everything should just release wide.

Fair enough. In my defense I didn't come up with this idea, it was a proposal that I saw in the archived boards, though I can't seem to find it again.

Anyone else want to weigh in? Limited releases, yay or nay? Expansion? I'm certainly not here to pretend I'm running the thing and have declared myself the arbiter of rules.

Well okay, platforms are back in.

I mentioned this briefly in the franchise rights thread but got no response - when should rights for a five-year-old film franchise become available? The day after five years from the release date of the last movie? The day after five years from the end of its theatrical run? Should all rights from one year just become available on New Year's?

Also - lamamama says he might need more time - are there any objections to Labor Day being the tentative deadline, with a single possible extension, only if needed, of say two more weeks?

We should only allow extensions if there aren't enough movies posted (at least one wide release per week except New Year's and at least two during holiday weekends should suffice), dragging our feet is what caused 2.0 to stall.

Regarding your question on franchise rights @Xillix my suggestion would be from New Year's to keep it simple.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BastienGiot said:

That's such a pain to write in english for me lmao. I don't even know if what I'm writing is understable or enjoyable to read... Can you give me advice from the summary of Runaway ?

It's not too bad, you shouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep practicing and use spellcheck and grammar guides if you're unsure about something.

Edited by cookie

1 hour ago, Xillix said:

@4815162342 As Isolation is incomplete and not on the advance tentpole schedule, I'm not adding it to the list yet. Please let me know with a new post or private message when it's finished and I will add it.

I understand. I just wanted to post the two films I knew I would release. I have the original plot done from 2.0 but I plan to make tweaks, rewrites, nips, tucks, etc here and there over the next week or so.

• Like 2