Morieris

If Beale Street Could Talk | NY/LA 12/14, Wide Christmas Day | Annapurna | Barry Jenkins Does It Again, Han proven super duper wrong

Based on the novel by James Baldwin, “If Beale Street Could Talk,” follows Tish, a newly engaged Harlem woman who races against the clock to prove her lover’s innocence while carrying their first born child. It’s a celebration of love told through the story of a young couple, their families, and their lives.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/moonlight-director-barry-jenkins-new-movie-if-beale-street-could-talk-1202490903/

Production expected to start October.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1

https://www.avclub.com/barry-jenkins-says-last-years-envelope-fuck-up-kind-of-1823285639

From one of THR's recent roundtable interviews;

I have mixed emotions. It’s cool to be here now a year later because all the things I felt like I wanted to do heading into the ceremony, I did. We went and made Beale Street [based on the James Baldwin novel], and we’re making Underground Railroadat Amazon. 

So it's at least in post, I suppose.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Part of me has a feeling that this is going to be a sophomore slump for Jenkins (yes i know moonlight wasn't his first film don't @ me)

idk the book it's based on but i do feel like people are gonna have some THOUGHTS about a movie with a premise of a woman trying to prove her boyfriend was falsely accused of rape.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Part of me has a feeling that this is going to be a sophomore slump for Jenkins (yes i know moonlight wasn't his first film don't @ me)

well Moonlight WAS his sophomore slump

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

27 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

idk the book it's based on but i do feel like people are gonna have some THOUGHTS about a movie with a premise of a woman trying to prove her boyfriend was falsely accused of rape.

Yeah, the thinkpieces this fall are going to be everywhere. Annapurna has other stuff to campaign for too

37 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Considering it's a black man and American history has a whole subsection where they were falsely accused and then lynched to a crowd of white people eating ice cream...

But most people probably won't think that far.