CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

26 minutes ago, trifle said:

I hadn't realized Tarantino characterized Daisy in Hateful Eight as a 'Western Manson Family woman' like 'Susan Atkins'.  And he talked to Jen about playing that role, but she couldn't at the time.  https://theringer.com/quentin-tarantino-manson-murders-new-movie-89b9858837c8

There is a tweet floating around alleging Tarantino might think Manson hadn't done it, which is not a perspective I can see going over well, particularly in Hollywood.  On the other hand, if he makes Atkins the ringleader it would be intriguing if historically inaccurate.  (OK fine. I'd just love to see Jen stretch those acting muscles!)

Hadn't done what? If you are talking about the murders, I thought it was proven that he personally did not commit any of them. He just convinced his followers to carry them all out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Maybe we ll have a sneak peak of Evil Jen in mother!

I'm  not sure the poster leads to that conclusion...

mother_cartel_jennifer_lawrence.jpg?itok

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Hadn't done what? If you are talking about the murders, I thought it was proven that he personally did not commit any of them. He just convinced his followers to carry them all out. 

The implication of the tweet, which might not be accurate in any event, was that QT thought Manson wasn't the mastermind of the murders.  You are right, he didn't perform any of them himself. I think it was pretty clear he masterminded it, though.

• Like 1

Haven't been to other places but the comments under the AV Club article about this are packed with handwringing about how Tarantino is going to desecrate real people's memories with his fun fetishized violence and whatnot. Sometimes I really feel like a lot of people's knowledge of the guy's work is strictly limited to Kill Bill 1, "Oh man I shot Marvin in the face" and any random interview where's being obnoxious. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Haven't been to other places but the comments under the AV Club article about this are packed with handwringing about how Tarantino is going to desecrate real people's memories with his fun fetishized violence and whatnot. Sometimes I really feel like a lot of people's knowledge of the guy's work is strictly limited to Kill Bill 1, "Oh man I shot Marvin in the face" and any random interview where's being obnoxious. 

Tarantino is not some obscure director. Just accept that people have different opinions of his work. My opinion is that Pulp Fiction is his masterwork and the quality of his work has steadily declined since then. Kill Bill 1/2 was his last really good film and Basterds was his last interesting work. Django is a boring mess and The Hateful Eight would've been laughed out of the theatres if he had released the movie under a pseudonym.

Edited by TLK

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Eh, I think it's a valid concern. A lot of people defend the extreme violence in his movies for the reason of it being too over-the-top to be taken seriously. His films since Kill Bill haven't been that much of a departure in tone.

9 minutes ago, TLK said:

Tarantino is not some obscure director. Just accept that people have different opinions of his work. My opinion is that Pulp Fiction is his masterwork and the quality of his work has steadily declined since then. Kill Bill 1/2 was his last really good film and Basterds was his last interesting work. Django is a boring mess and The Hateful Eight would've been laughed out of the theatres if he had released the movie under a pseudonym.

What? I'm not talking about different opinions, I'm talking about people claiming that Tarantino only uses violence for fun and entertainment. Which is just plain nonsense if you actually watch the films. 

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Eh, I think it's a valid concern. A lot of people defend the extreme violence in his movies for the reason of it being too over-the-top to be taken seriously. His films since Kill Bill haven't been that much of a departure in tone.

His violence is not often that extreme and every single depiction of it from Reservoir Dogs to Hateful Eight has a point and a moral grounding to it. The killing of Shosanna's family in the prologue of IB is a complete 180 in tone from the Crazy 88 slaughter in Kill Bill, and the awful, bleak violence against slaves in Django is deliberately contrasted with the cathartic violence against slaveowners. And then there's almost zero blood in Jackie Brown and Kill Bill Vol 2 aside from a single brief moment in each, which should be enough proof that he can hold himself back just fine when needed. QT has always known exactly what he's doing with violence, and it amazes me that 25 years later even people supposedly familiar with his work are still quick to clutch their pearls and treat him like some bloodthirsty teenager who's about to get off on the Manson murders, before anyone knows what exactly is written into this script and before a single frame has been shot. 

I know I came away from The Hateful Eight feeling like Jason Leigh's character took a disproportionate level of abuse. I'll give Tarantino the benefit of the doubt but I don't think he's perfect and I understand why some might snap into outrage at the idea of this film.

I think Tarantino knows that filming Manson family strutting in slomo set to Helter Skelter when they're about to slaughter a pregnant Sharon Tate would be in poor taste.

So I'm betting he's doing his Inherent Vice or Summer Of Sam portraying LA at the end of the sixties that happens to feature among a constellation of ensemble characters the infamous event's protagonists and not a twisted Manson family "biopic" a la Tarantino. (That would be more crassy like a Rob Zombie flick akin to The Devil's Rejects).

(Nonetheless, the manner of which he handles the aethestic and tone of the violence will be a sharp tightrope to walk that legitimately begs to be questioned and apprehended for an author that heavily digs his inspiration and revels in exploitation movies).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

^the only thing i really got from that is that it's apparently supposed to shoot in February. tarantino rushing it out for an end of year release again it sounds like. didn't really work out for hateful eight the way he probably wanted.

Hateful at least didn't suffer on the creative side from being released in December (unlike Django where the seams were clearly showing) and while it didn't light the box office on fire, for a bleak claustrophobic three-hour journey into hell it did about as well as it would have on any other date. Maybe he finishes this one early enough to avoid the Christmas glut, unless it's three hours long too. 

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I am intrigued.

Also...I guess Kill Bill 3 (or is it Kill Beatrix ?) is never happening, right? :( 

Not if Tarantino really only makes 10 films. I cant imagine his last film beeing Kill Bill 3 :(

On 7/12/2017 at 3:50 PM, Jake Gittes said:

What? I'm not talking about different opinions, I'm talking about people claiming that Tarantino only uses violence for fun and entertainment. Which is just plain nonsense if you actually watch the films. 

Yeah, and this is only a reddit rumor:

Spoiler

http://uproxx.com/movies/quentin-tarantino-manson-family-movie-based-on-kill-bill-3-rumor/

In part:

An alleged leak regarding Tarantino’s upcoming Manson family heartwarmer (his first film based on true events) emerged on Reddit’s Movies wing. User b1rdnest claims to have inside information on what’s to come. According to the poster, the film will be modifying things from Tarantino’s Kill Bill 3 script for use in this film. Here’s the key juicy stuff, including casting talk involving Jennifer Lawrence and Brad Pitt.

Brad Pitt: Tex Watson Jennifer Lawrence: Susan Atkins Margot Robbie: Sharon Tate Harvey Keitel is playing Manson as on old man, which aspects of the story are told through him.

[Young Manson is not featured]

The film will take place briefly before the murders begin and the twist will be that Sharon Tate survives and hunts down/murders the whole family.

It will have lots of references to The Fearless Vampire Killers which she stared in.

Tarantino gave up on Kill Bill 3 and converted elements to be adapted in this story.
It is heavily influenced by The Last House on the Left & Straw Dogs.

[And thanks for not just hating on me for a supposed leak. I was excited to share because this never happens to me. Again I CANT CONFIRM. It’s just what I was told]

if that's true i wasn't so far off. only got the wrong character.

On 7/12/2017 at 0:23 AM, CoolioD1 said:

it's tarantino. we also can't rule out Polanski slaughtering the whole Manson family with a samurai sword in the third act.

though i'm trepidatious about that rumor, because yes it does come from reddit. but also that sounds too far into self-parody even by QT standards. 

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

if that's true i wasn't so far off. only got the wrong character.

though i'm trepidatious about that rumor, because yes it does come from reddit. but also that sounds too far into self-parody even by QT standards. 

Yeah, I think it is much  more likely that Jen's character (which I could easily see being Susan Atkins) may take over some of those elements, but that would be very tricky given that it is true crime and there are living people who care about this.  We will see, I guess!

This exact scenario (what is in the article) was posited as a joking theory on another message board, which also makes me doubt it.