CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

3 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Streaming platforms are already investing in big-budget films...

The first video game on console were also doing something very similar to Arcade game, sure the first decades will have a legacy of the previous model and will be extremely influenced by it.

I would really doubt that a streaming platform would ever contemplate in 2030 one or 2 feature film presentation to do Lord of the Rings instead of something that is more like a tv series.

To use an example for something that already happened with streaming, the procedural type of TV show didn't seem to transfer on it, late night type of show or anything that is actually/daily produced didn't work, they still trying them (like they are trying feature length film right now).

9 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

TV has been making legitimately cinematic product for almost 20 years now. Some of the best "cinema" released in the last decade was made for TV... a distinction that doesn't really mean what it used to because making something for TV hasn't meant "for a square barely 27 inches wide" for a very long time now. 

That was my point, content certainly not need to be formatted in something convenient to be consumed in one short setting like the theatrical model back in the days forced it to be.

Maybe in 2050 many streaming platform's will spend over 2 million by minutes on a one shot 125 minutes feature length story every weeks, maybe because of the fact people can easily watch a different running time and because they are not paying anything to watch high cost content than low cost one, etc... that "taking advantage of streaming force" type content will be were most of the money will go.

A bit like franchise that took advantage of home video (that make easy for people to watch the previous entry) and changed the face of the theatrical industry movie model or that youtube lead to content really different than what you saw on regular TV.

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The first video game on console were also doing something very similar to Arcade game, sure the first decades will have a legacy of the previous model and will be extremely influenced by it.

I would really doubt that a streaming platform would ever contemplate in 2030 one or 2 feature film presentation to do Lord of the Rings instead of something that is more like a tv series.

I'm not sure why you keep trying to draw the comparison to video games... especially that specific comparison, considering console gaming effectively killed the arcade. Sure, arcades still exist, and people still go to them... but not like it was, and it'll never be like that again.... 

And streaming platforms are already doing what you're suggesting! They've been doing it... not to mention the idea of "cinema" isn't mutually chained to something like Lord of the Rings. In fact, "cinema" as it keeps being used in this discussion is almost always mid-budget drama.... which is what streaming networks are almost single-handedly keeping alive now that the film studios have gotten caught trying to play catch-up with Disney's unbeatable box-office strategies. 

Scorsese is on Netflix. Spielberg is on Apple. Tarantino's last movie is probably going to be a Star Trek film. In about 10 years the best writers and directors will have some sort of deal with a streaming platform and their cinematic work is going to be pointed there... That's the future of cinema... that's not necessarily a bad thing, either... but the idea that theatrical exhibition is where cinema thrives is an idea that is half-extinct already, and we're all going to see it die before we do... Much like a lot of us watched the arcade diminish... 

Movie theaters will become novelty amusement parks for big-budget blockbusters. Our TVs... however big they'll end up being, whether they become rollable displays or super-cheap pocket size 4k projectors that fill a bare wall in your apartment... that is where most of our cinema will be consumed. 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I'm not sure why you keep trying to draw the comparison to video games... especially that specific comparison, considering console gaming effectively killed the arcade. Sure, arcades still exist, and people still go to them... but not like it was, and it'll never be like that again.... 

Considering the premise that: The future of cinema is streaming, that seem to match and  but the idea that theatrical exhibition is where cinema thrives is an idea that is half-extinct already, and we're all going to see it die before we do..... Much like a lot of us watched the arcade diminish... 

I am not sure with the especially part, the comparison with video games is an example where technology clearly changed the length of the video games, like it is possible that streaming do for the length chosen to tell the story, it make much shorter length much possible and much longer length much possible. Russian Doll for example feel like something that would have been a movie not so long ago, the Hateful 8 released has a mini series being a more on the nose example of this.

14 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

And streaming platforms are already doing what you're suggesting!

Like I said there is no doubt that at first feature length film will continue on new platform, that what people are used to make and consume I am not sure if it is worth repeating a point I never contradicted and agreed on the first message.

Do you agree that procedural tv show type are not made on streaming ?

Do you agree that late night / daily type show are not made on streaming ?

I think it is obvious why that the case, content rapidly went toward something that can be binged.

Will a 70 to 130 minutes format that take year's to make and cost a lot by minutes to tell a story be something that drive well and get monetized well on that model, that certainly is still to be proven, I am not sure how anyone can know one way or an other.

20 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

always mid-budget drama.... which is what streaming networks are almost single-handedly keeping alive now

What mid budget drama was a success on streaming ?

We have Comedies, rom-com, horrors, sci-fi success stories,  lot of series,mini series, but mid-budget feature length type drama's ? The highwaymen ?

It is really hard to know because we do not have public metrics on how many people opened an account or at risk helped retention by a movie to start with, that an issue of this model views have 0 values by themselve making success hard to gauge.

Will see (despite streaming music is still using in large part made for radio format, but I imagine radio is still going really strong), so maybe feature length film will thrive and get hundreds of millions to be made without sequels in mind even if they are just on streaming, but the force in place make it possible to be replaced by something more fluid, less stuck in the presentation format that are necessary for theatrical.

1 hour ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

nope!

BIAKelsey-Radio-Indus-Advertising-RevenuBT-AL722_PRINT_9U_20161019202714.jpg

Radio in most market has been holding impressively well from what I understand (versus newspaper, magazine and other traditional media).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

And streaming platforms are already doing what you're suggesting! They've been doing it... not to mention the idea of "cinema" isn't mutually chained to something like Lord of the Rings. In fact, "cinema" as it keeps being used in this discussion is almost always mid-budget drama.... which is what streaming networks are almost single-handedly keeping alive now that the film studios have gotten caught trying to play catch-up with Disney's unbeatable box-office strategies. 

Scorsese is on Netflix. Spielberg is on Apple. Tarantino's last movie is probably going to be a Star Trek film. In about 10 years the best writers and directors will have some sort of deal with a streaming platform and their cinematic work is going to be pointed there... That's the future of cinema... that's not necessarily a bad thing, either... but the idea that theatrical exhibition is where cinema thrives is an idea that is half-extinct already, and we're all going to see it die before we do... Much like a lot of us watched the arcade diminish... 

Movie theaters will become novelty amusement parks for big-budget blockbusters. Our TVs... however big they'll end up being, whether they become rollable displays or super-cheap pocket size 4k projectors that fill a bare wall in your apartment... that is where most of our cinema will be consumed. 

All I ask for is the option. Isn't that what new technology is about...more options? Well if I no longer have the option of watching the greatest directors' films in a theater, then that means I have fewer options. Fuck that, and if people actually cared enough to fight for the theatrical experience instead of acquiescing to the lowest common denominator, we wouldn't have to have these discussions.  

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Considering the premise that: The future of cinema is streaming, that seem to match and  but the idea that theatrical exhibition is where cinema thrives is an idea that is half-extinct already, and we're all going to see it die before we do..... Much like a lot of us watched the arcade diminish... 

I am not sure with the especially part, the comparison with video games is an example where technology clearly changed the length of the video games, like it is possible that streaming do for the length chosen to tell the story, it make much shorter length much possible and much longer length much possible. Russian Doll for example feel like something that would have been a movie not so long ago, the Hateful 8 released has a mini series being a more on the nose example of this.

Like I said there is no doubt that at first feature length film will continue on new platform, that what people are used to make and consume I am not sure if it is worth repeating a point I never contradicted and agreed on the first message.

Do you agree that procedural tv show type are not made on streaming ?

Do you agree that late night / daily type show are not made on streaming ?

I think it is obvious why that the case, content rapidly went toward something that can be binged.

Will a 70 to 130 minutes format that take year's to make and cost a lot by minutes to tell a story be something that drive well and get monetized well on that model, that certainly is still to be proven, I am not sure how anyone can know one way or an other.

What mid budget drama was a success on streaming ?

We have Comedies, rom-com, horrors, sci-fi success stories,  lot of series,mini series, but mid-budget feature length type drama's ? The highwaymen ?

It is really hard to know because we do not have public metrics on how many people opened an account or at risk helped retention by a movie to start with, that an issue of this model views have 0 values by themselve making success hard to gauge.

Will see (despite streaming music is still using in large part made for radio format, but I imagine radio is still going really strong), so maybe feature length film will thrive and get hundreds of millions to be made without sequels in mind even if they are just on streaming, but the force in place make it possible to be replaced by something more fluid, less stuck in the presentation format that are necessary for theatrical.

I will say, according to Netflix's numbers (which are suspect, I admit), Roma and 22 July both did huge viewing numbers compared to what they would've done in theaters. So that's the upside of streaming. Still...we should have the option of theatrical. 

• Like 1

To clarify... I'm not happy about the inevitability of what's happening (and has already happened) just pointing out that we're already there in many ways and we're likely never going back to what it was.... 

Change isn't always good, or exactly the way we'd like it to be... but that doesn't stop it from coming, either... this is actually a theme that Tarantino is wrestling with IN the movie, too... 

• Like 2

There's no way to make people leave their house more when they don't have to anymore. It's the same problem retailers have been having for years now. You can throw a bunch of bells and whistles in a store but amazon already changed how people view shopping. No way to put the toothpaste back in the tube. 

People used to go to the movies several times a week when there was nothing better to do. Times change. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

FYI, Definition of originality :

Everything that is not the CURRENT norm.

Originality is a very loose concept and I see nothing original in the trailer of this film and the premise puts me to sleep.

A director in any franchise/brand film takes 100 creative decisions per day, way more than in any grounded movie since everything has to be invented.

This movie is basically a nice and cute Xerox of the 60's.

So creative it boggles the mind.

I heard Jon Favreau is oh  so jealous.

Of course Jon Favwho is jeaolus of Tarantino cause he has an audience who knows he directs the movie they are watching. Are you even serious lol? Every director want to achieve that. Do you know how many "professional directors" in the 50's and 60's ad 70's made a tons of more successfull movie than Kubrick ones. We know who has today the filmography full of movies everybody has watched an who's not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

I will say, according to Netflix's numbers (which are suspect, I admit), Roma and 22 July both did huge viewing numbers compared to what they would've done in theaters. So that's the upside of streaming. Still...we should have the option of theatrical. 

Did we ever got Roma viewing numbers ? Always been curious.

47 minutes ago, JB33 said:

@Valonqar I know you like to get the lowdown on spoilers for most movies before they release? Are you familiar with the 3rd act for this one that everyone is talking about?

Spoiler
Spoiler

From the rumors he goes full blast Magnificent Bastards in the last act..a route I was hoping he would not go.

27 minutes ago, dudalb said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Not going to read that because I don't actually want to be spoiled. I was just wondering if he had read spoilers yet.

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Did we ever got Roma viewing numbers ? Always been curious.

There was an article several months back but I can't find it now. Same with 22 July. For Roma it was something like 20 mil subs in the first month. For 22 July it was something like 30 mil subs at least.