CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:43 AM, JohnnyGossamer said:

Quite a few leaving the theater in was in when I caught it Thursday night. Gotta admit, I was surprised too.

I live in Sacramento, and just about everybody in the audience yelled "Squeaky" when Squeaky Fromme first appeared....She is well remembered in Sacramento from her trying to shoot Gerald Ford when he visited here.....

But, god, if nothing else the encless showings of both versions of "Helter Skelter" and the endless streams of documentaries on Manson and the Tate/La Biance murders should make who Manson was common knowledge. Apparently not.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Why did he do that to Bruce Lee? Zero upside to that. Terrible decision.

I imagine it is a mix for the global fantasy world for the cowboy stunt double and an way to express just how good the Pitt character is, if he can beat up Lee he will not fear a band of hippies.

Why does he make sound like a stupid teenager with the hands comment ? Really not sure (probably part of being seen / fantasy of the cowboy stunt double, it is told from him re-living it-dreaming about it while working on a roof, it did not probably didn't really occur like that in "reality")

29 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Why did he do that to Bruce Lee? Zero upside to that. Terrible decision.

Because he could. He can't be sued for libel because the statue of limitations ran out a long time ago.

I think one of Tarantino's flaws is that he knows he has a following who like his in you face hipster attitude,and he likes that image for himself, and it leads to make some poor decisions.

QT is enormously talented as a filmmaker, but IMHO he has some bad habits he just can't seem to break.

Now we can just sit back and wait for his outraged fanboys to come here and blast us for daring to criticize him.

The Bruce Lee scenes are bad (and I don't mean bad in a good way) but the whole Manson thing was worse.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

QT needed Harvey to make pleasant movies dor trhe masses.

Fact.

after how huge pulp fiction was harvey just let QT do whatever the hell he wanted (aside from releasing kill bill as one movie). i can't imagine this movie would be any different if he was still around. you can't say the whole 70mm roadshow deal w/ hateful eight wasn't more indulgent than this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

after how huge pulp fiction was harvey just let QT do whatever the hell he wanted (aside from releasing kill bill as one movie). i can't imagine this movie would be any different if he was still around. you can't say the whole 70mm roadshow deal w/ hateful eight wasn't more indulgent than this.

A QT film is pretty much money in the bank;he has enough of a following to guarantee you will probably make a profit on one of his film, and he does not spend a massive amount on his films. 

Agreed the whol 70mm Roadshow for Hateful Eight was really indulging Tarantino. 70mm for a film most which takes place on interior sets???

And the roadshow was not really a roadshow....it got released a week before the general release. In an actual road show it would have been a year before a general release. It would be point break impossible to give a major film a classic roadshow release nowdays. Which is why Cameron ,although he talks endlessly about wanting to bring back roadshows, never quite was able to pull the trigger on one.

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The fact Hateful 8 longer version just got a small release (and that is Netflix one is even longer) do sound like that possibly he still got some control over him.

He said in an interview that he was receiving a lot of notes, you still can get a lot of note at those budget level with a producer like that involved.

Just now, Barnack said:

The fact Hateful 8 longer version just got a small release (and that is Netflix one is even longer) do sound like that possibly he still got some control over him.

He said in an interview that he was receiving a lot of notes, you still can get a lot of note at those budget level with a producer like that involved.

those are pretty standard though. no doubts he got notes on this too but i'm sure QT always gets final cut within reason. still a total reach to say this movie would've been different or "pleasant for the masses" under TWC.

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think the Julie Butters, who plays the child actress ,pretty much steals every scene she is in.

she was great. Hope to see more from her. 

with the Bruce Lee stuff I basically agree with every thing said in the article I linked and I've been saying exactly that since I watched it. I think it's a shame with all the sensitivity he *tried* to pay to Sharon Tate he couldn't do the same to Bruce, someone else who also died so tragically young.  

I feel bad for Shannon. She's dedicated most of her life to preserving her father's legacy but Tarantino didn't even bother to contact her. 

Edited by ban1o

That s the thing, don't think Harvey would have let him make 2 over indulgent slogs in a row.

Plus QT cheated her, to avoid box office embarrasment, he cast(ed?) the 2 biggest movie stars of the last 25 years and the current hot Hollywood actress as prop.

Without those 3, God knows how low the movie would have oppened.

Edited by The Futurist

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

That s the thing, don't think Harvey would have let him make 2 over indulgent slogs in a row

Plus QT cheated her, to avoid box office embarrasment, he cast(ed?) the 2 biggest movie stars of the last 25 years and the current hot Hollywood actress as prop.

Without those 3, God knows how low the movie would have oppened.

And that’s exactly why it wouldn’t have been different.

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Pleasant movies for the masses that the masses all flocked to see, like Grindhouse and The Hateful Eight

As far box office goes, apples and oranges. Hateful Eight made a good profit for the Weinstein company, but Grindhouse was one of QT's few Box Office falures. It flopped on it's thereatrical release both in the US and overseas, and barely broke even after DVD and Blu Ray sales are figured in.

I know you are a QT fan, but don't try to deny reality.