CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

On 8/5/2019 at 2:15 PM, jaybox said:

8/10, slow start, bonkers ending that I should've realized was coming but didn't.

Grading on a Tarantino curve as well. 

Pitt and Leo were amazing and Pitt should get a best supporting actor Oscar nomination imo.

Pitt should win. 

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Pitt should win. 

Margot and Pitt radiated off the celluloid like a bright star in this film. I don't know if I'd say their performances were extraordinary, but Quentin utilized their pop iconography to a pitch perfect degree. It's a perfect match of imagined persona and fictional characterization.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:37 PM, Valonqar said:

Brad was so effortless and natural as if he wasn't acting. Love his performance. Everyone was great but he radiated classic movie star. 

It was kind of a comeback for him. He's been pretty irrelevant for awhile now. Looking forward to seeing how he does in Ad Astra.

Leo doing his thing is kinda sad for other actors.

They wish they could do it ... they wish with envy ...

Brad in this is the movie star version of The Dude from The Big Lebowski.

Coolest mofo on the planet.

Take that Bruce Lee !!!

Margot is beautifully beautiful with nice clothes, hair and make up.

QT has fun with his little tricks.

Another creepy child actess that is too good for her age.

Nice cameos here and there.

Didn't know this was the sequel to

Spoiler

Inglorious Basterds tho

So overrall, a nice time at the movies, a bit slow.

4.5/5

It doesn't have a clear focus, the editing is kinda messy... but since the theme is the most important thing here, it seems appropriate 

The cast is perfect, direction is great, technical aspects are amazing, really good time at the theater... and i love the ending, especially the final minutes, some people here seems disappointed but i though it was really touching and beautiful.

I loved it but I'm still unsure about the subtext behind many of the scenes. Very clearly the least black and white film in the revisionist trilogy though. It's both a love letter to 60s Hollywood (set in an optimistic history where that Hollywood never died) while also showing the dark underbelly of it. I can see this movie grow on me upon rewatches. 8/10

On a side note, I couldn't pay attention to some parts because I watched this movie two of my friends and I had one of my friends leave close to the end of the movie and had to convince that other to stay till the end. 5 other people from my screening also left.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

On a side note, I couldn't pay attention to some parts because I watched this movie two of my friends and I had one of my friends leave close to the end of the movie and had to convince that other to stay till the end. 5 other people from my screening also left.

Wow, that does sound bad. Feel a bit sorry for you.

I do live in a f*cked up country myself, but my IMAX showing (just now) was unprecedentedly full, people cheered and even stayed till after the credits.

Also, the Tarantino Fest I held at my bookshop this weekend was a welcome success. I am pleasantlty surprsied how famous Tarantino seems to be in Bulgaria.

Me myself - I am not that much of a fan. I still appreciate him though. I've seen Django like 8 times, Hateful 8 - 3 times - but couldn't be bothered to see any of his other movies a second time. Unfortunately this one here is a step back - after the exceptionally strong stories of Django and H8. It is just a single high concept (not very original, but bold), and everything else is extremely watered down "character study", "atmospheric journey", whatever. Still I liked it, and would kill to have a man like Booth by my side. No such luck though, no such good men in real life.

9 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Wow, that does sound bad. Feel a bit sorry for you.

I do live in a f*cked up country myself, but my IMAX showing (just now) was unprecedentedly full, people cheered and even stayed till after the credits.

Also, the Tarantino Fest I held at my bookshop this weekend was a welcome success. I am pleasantlty surprsied how famous Tarantino seems to be in Bulgaria.

Me myself - I am not that much of a fan. I still appreciate him though. I've seen Django like 8 times, Hateful 8 - 3 times - but couldn't be bothered to see any of his other movies a second time. Unfortunately this one here is a step back - after the exceptionally strong stories of Django and H8. It is just a single high concept (not very original, but bold), and everything else is extremely watered down "character study", "atmospheric journey", whatever. Still I liked it, and would kill to have a man like Booth by my side. No such luck though, no such good men in real life.

Considering the performance of the movie in the rest of Europe I'm not surprised that it's doing well in Bulgaria.

And I dont really agree that this was a step back for Tarantino. I think this is Tarantino at his most mature work yet. Although a lot of the meaning gets muddled because of the almost abstract plot, I feel like this movie has way more substance than any film he's made since Jackie Brown.

Also, wow are we really having a conversation where we aren't bickering at each other? Hopefully we can keep this going.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Considering the performance of the movie in the rest of Europe I'm not surprised that it's doing well in Bulgaria.

And I don't really agree that this was a step back for Tarantino. I think this is Tarantino at his most mature work yet. Although a lot of the meaning gets muddled because of the almost abstract plot, I feel like this movie has way more substance than any film he's made since Jackie Brown.

Also, wow are we really having a conversation where we aren't bickering at each other? Hopefully we can keep this going.

I agree. Tarantino doesn't have a bad or even a mediocre movie. They are all 8/10 to 10/10. They seem to be rather different though - because most people (me included) adore some and are a bit indifferent to others.

I am pretty sure I will like his older movies much more if I see them again now. There are great scenes in this one too, and as a whole, one never feels bad for watching a Quentin movie. I would take my girlfriend to see this (and see it a second time with her) - but I'm really not sure if she's going to get this. She loves the 60ies and 70ies, the music - and strong men (like Booth), but I don't think she knows or cares much about the movie business.

PS: Always a pleasure to NOT offend people in any way. The fact that I can do it well in verbal form doesn't mean I like it one bit. Sorry for often being a nuisance. Please just call me out on that here, if I manage to do that again - and I'll be glad to apologize sincerely.

• Like 1