franfar

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (yes that's the subtitle) | May 24, 2024 | Anya Taylor-Joy is Furiosa + Chris Hemsworth

Posted (edited)

Fury Road is pretty much everything you'd want from an action story. The film was able to do cool worldbuilding, a simple yet immediately effective premise, and interesting characters, all while taking very little time away from the action itself. It's quite a remarkable feat and reducing it to not having a story seems bizarre to me.

This I expect takes a different approach, as it seems to be going for something grander with the lore and just the scale of it all, time-wise. I doubt it will be as good as Fury Road, but it's not really fair to the film for the bar to be replicating one of the best action films of all time - undoubtably it's going to be hard to keep comparisons out of the back of my head but as long as it's great I'm happy.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

Grain of salt but some guy I've never heard of is saying on Twitter an embargo lifts on the 7th. Gonna assume that's just a social if true

its premieres at Cannes May 15th , i would expect full reviews after

On 5/4/2024 at 12:50 PM, AniNate said:

I'm hard-pressed to recall a blockbuster trailer that didn't have complaints about its CGI

...Because most people watch them on YouTube and they're not judging anything really properly in terms of cinematic effect on the eyes on the big screen...

• Like 2

Also social embargo has lifted:

david ehrlich
@davidehrlich
brings me great joy to report that Furiosa is really, *really* fucking good.

operates in an extremely different gear than Fury Road (in ways that i suspect will frustrate some people), but also manages to make that movie even richer while carving its own legend in the wasteland.

Erik Davis
@ErikDavis
George Miller’s #Furiosa is powerhouse action filmmaking at its absolute best! A ferocious & relentlessly paced epic that expands the story of Furiosa and the Wasteland while delivering the craziest chases, the most bombastic characters & just plain stunning cinematography. 

Anya Taylor-Joy and Chris Hemsworth equally dive all the way into the Wasteland, and both deliver some incredible stuff. There’s one War Rig sequence that blew my mind - an instant classic. I love the #MadMax movies and I loved this film. Start your engines!

Heroes Unbound
@HeroesUnbound
FURIOSA is a visceral triumph. An epic trip through Miller's scorched wasteland that spans decades. The emotional journey is intimately personal and deeply moving. Action is ferocious, wild and unrelenting. Hold tight and brace for fury.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

25 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Ehrlich is a legit critic, though he can be something of a fanboy for certain movies. Still, if he likes a movie it's almost certainly going to be fresh

Yeah also Erik Davis is a notorious quote whore so probably want to see a few more reactions.

Posted (edited)

I hope Hemsworth gets to chew up plenty scenery

That "LADY AND GENTLEMENS, START YOUR ENGINES" delivery always amuses me when I see the trailer. Classic Mad Max Australian accent

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I want to trust these social media reactions, but they really don't matter. I'm interested in the film, but whether or not Ehrlich enjoys the movie will not affect Box Office.

He’s a very snobbish critic and more aligned with Film Twitter. 

I do trust that the movie is good, but Ehrlich’s review alludes to what I think will be the movie’s biggest challenge, which is comparison to Fury Road. And the further challenge, which a lot of people forget, is that critics and Film Twitter loved Fury Road, but most general audiences that saw it just liked it. 

While not a surefire metric, Quorum numbers for the movie are also pretty bad for a movie less than 30 days from release. I’m thinking this movie may be Fall Guy 2.0. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Squire said:

He’s a very snobbish critic and more aligned with Film Twitter. 

I do trust that the movie is good, but Ehrlich’s review alludes to what I think will be the movie’s biggest challenge, which is comparison to Fury Road. And the further challenge, which a lot of people forget, is that critics and Film Twitter loved Fury Road, but most general audiences that saw it just liked it. 

While not a surefire metric, Quorum numbers for the movie are also pretty bad for a movie less than 30 days from release. I’m thinking this movie may be Fall Guy 2.0. 

Yeah, this feels accurate.