franfar

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (yes that's the subtitle) | May 24, 2024 | Anya Taylor-Joy is Furiosa + Chris Hemsworth

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

May 24th is gonna be one of the most interesting box office weekends there's been in a while. R, PG-13, and PG new releases, and a case could be made for any of the three to take the number one spot.

These 3 movies are not all opening that weekend. Furiosa is moving. The trailer just said 2024 whereas Apes said May 24th. There are plenty of open dates for Furiosa to pick in a pretty empty summer. 

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I feel like most people criticizing the "bad CGI" (including the ones that say it's just "unfinished" and will look better) don't seem to see that Miller is purposefully going for more heightened imagery here.

No director is above critique for intentional artistic decisions

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Firepower said:

Are we still going for Covid excuse? Especially since it's supposed to be shot in a desert.

It was shot in the desert, there’s numerous pics from the set. Just like Fury Road, pretty much everything when it comes to objects and sets are practical. 

• Like 2

Some pics from the set. Shot just like Fury Road, it looks different stylistically as a conscience decision. 

It can work just fine when you watch it finished and with context. I do think there’ll be some division when it drops which is fine, but this idea that is spreading fast that it looks like this because of some problem needs to stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get what people are saying about the digital sheen being a little more intense here than it was on Fury Road, but I'm still pretty hyped up. I love ATJ and am excited to see her in a big role like this. Hemsworth can be good with the right material, and I think giving him a role where he can be hammy without just being completely goofy like he is in some of the Thors is perfect for him. And I have a lot of faith in Miller who has never made a bad movie - even Happy Feet Two has some good moments and an incredible finale. So, I'm hyped.

Very curious to see how big this can be. Fury Road made $153.6M in 2015 and its stature has only grown since then, and I feel like this project has been a large part of its legacy and mythology, the fact that Miller had this in his back pocket the entire time. The YouTube post already has over 6 million views in 28 hours, which is pretty impressive. A lot will depend on WOM and if it can live up to expectations, but it's definitely a top 10 of the year contender if things go its way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Some pics from the set. Shot just like Fury Road, it looks different stylistically as a conscience decision. 

It can work just fine when you watch it finished and with context. I do think there’ll be some division when it drops which is fine, but this idea that is spreading fast that it looks like this because of some problem needs to stop.

I honestly am  perplexed at the mixed reaction to this trailer so far but then again I guess it's not a surprise anymore with the way social media is and how fast stuff spreads.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

It was shot in the desert, there’s numerous pics from the set. Just like Fury Road, pretty much everything when it comes to objects and sets are practical. 

Yeah, that's why it's weird it looks more fake and CGId, and Fury Road had tons of CGI.

10 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I feel like most people criticizing the "bad CGI" (including the ones that say it's just "unfinished" and will look better) don't seem to see that Miller is purposefully going for more heightened imagery here.

I don't know, I think these shots look just bad and not some intentional imagery.

qzXJbE9.png

Q5D44qG.png

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Firepower said:

Yeah, that's why it's weird it looks more fake and CGId, and Fury Road had tons of CGI.

I don't know, I think these shots look just bad and not some intentional imagery.

qzXJbE9.png

Q5D44qG.png

Well, I'm just going to pray that is something just from the trailers, because this really look bad, ngl

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The last shot literally looks so fucking cool in motion and proves my point.

Yeah, I took one look at these stills and went to watch the trailer again and came to the same conclusion. 

Mid action sequence stills can look pretty bad for any movie, so that’s a silly thing to point out.

I wonder if the problem some people seem to be having with the visuals here is a problem of expectations.

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The last shot literally looks so fucking cool in motion and proves my point.

No, I don't mean bullets or Hemsworth, they look fine, I mean lava or whatever it is on background, it looks like effect from recent MCU productions, very fake and cheap looking.

Edited by Firepower

I just LOVE how ballsy Miller is literally having Hemsworth mimic his THOR outfit and cape... He gives no shits (and apparently, neither does Hemsworth)...and I'm here for it.  Still...(would have preferred Charlize Theron back!)

But I can't imagine this will be anything less than extremely satisfying...and at the very least an energetic prequel unique from most other summer blockbuster schlock! 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4