franfar

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (yes that's the subtitle) | May 24, 2024 | Anya Taylor-Joy is Furiosa + Chris Hemsworth

Posted (edited)

Yes, Alyla Browne who played the younger Furiosa was my fav after Hemsworthy, Really amazing actress! I'll say she was better than Anya, easily.

Joy is miscast, sadly 

Edited by cinema pal

44 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

I don't think her acting is the problem. For some viewers (me included) she doesn't look believable in some scenes, mainly because Theron's take on the character exists

Theron had such a good command of the character. It's more about having that presence. I don't know. Don't you think young Furiosa having a long screen time kinda affected old Furiosa a bit?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Squire said:

Is it safe to say audience reception of this may be less positive than critical reception?

The RT audience score is very high at 97%!

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

Tom Burke fella was even more bland. Remove Hemsworth from this one and the movie completely falls lol.

I don't know, Hemsworth got tiresome at some point, Burk was a pleasent change among over the top freaks

Edited by cinema pal

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

Theron had such a good command of the character. It's more about having that presence. I don't know. Don't you think young Furiosa having a long screen time kinda affected old Furiosa a bit?

The whole first hour for young Furiosa is one of my problems with the movie, though I really liked the actress. 

1 hour ago, Squire said:

Is it safe to say audience reception of this may be less positive than critical reception?

Quite the opposite.

4.5/5 postrack according to Deadline. 97% on RT certified user scores. 

Looks like audience reception is actually more positive than the critical reception. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The high audeince rating does not seem to be helping much as the box office.

Audience scores are sadly starting to come down. Verified audience % is now 92%, and a 4.3 rating (compared to Dune 2’s 4.7 and MI:DR’s 4.6). Letterboxd rating is 4.0. 

Still good numbers, but not earth shattering at this point. 

Thought this was very stop-start and pacing wise I found myself a bit bored at times. Felt the runtime. 

Chris Hemsworth is the weak point for me, he was verging on camp and no one else was playing it that way. 

Exceptional casting for young Furiosa btw, it took me a good 5 minutes to realise we’d transitioned to Anya. 

3/5

• Like 2

Anya was great - the physicality of her performance and her facial expressions are so emotive. The problem is that I felt the script needed to humanise her more. 

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Anya was great - the physicality of her performance and her facial expressions are so emotive. The problem is that I felt the script needed to humanise her more. 

I think Anya has shown in her Indie work she has considerabler acting chops. But apparetnly the writing for Fruiosa was not all it shoucl have been and she did hhe best she could with what she was given.  Most actors have to do that at times.

But one thing that does annoy me is how many people, when a chatecter does not work (not saying that is the case here)  blame the actor, not the writersm when the wrtiers are the real guilty party.

• Like 1

Really, really enjoyed this and thought Hemsworth stole the entire movie with his OTT performance, he looked like he was having a blast. Anya Taylor Joy was great as well, at points you could really hear/see her channelling Charlize Theron. The film look gorgeous as well.

My only negative is probably Tom Holkenborg’s score which is just kind of there, it’s not “bad” or anything, but there was nothing massively memorable like the Brothers in Arms theme from Fury Road, I had that album on repeat back in 2015, but doubt I’ll be doing the same with the Furiosa album.

Still, great film overall and I’m sad to see that it seems to be flopping. Hopefully George manages to trick WB into giving him another $200M in a decade or so.

On 5/1/2024 at 1:35 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Jimmy Stewart???

I just thought it was funny how much Burke looked like Jimmy Stewart in that picture but his performance in this is the only one in a long time I've seen that feels just like a performance from a studio system era movie star. Like I totally see him starring in an Anthony Mann picture.

4 hours ago, Squire said:

Audience scores are sadly starting to come down. Verified audience % is now 92%, and a 4.3 rating (compared to Dune 2’s 4.7 and MI:DR’s 4.6). Letterboxd rating is 4.0. 

Still good numbers, but not earth shattering at this point. 

This is a Rated R movie, the comparisons would never be fair 

Fury Road got a B+ at CS, that was great for adult movies. If this manages the same, it’s great reception.

The problem is definitely not the movie or how it’s being received