kayumanggi

THE RHYTHM SECTION | January 31, 2020 | Paramount | Blake Lively

1 hour ago, Alli said:

I'm afraid this will be a bust for Blake. The director doesn't inspire confidence. I hope i'm wrong

The director is the first Female to win an Emmy for directing in a drama in 22 years and the first woman to win an Emmy and DGA for a drama series. The director is more than fine and is actually more acclaimed than the lead actress in the movie :ph34r: 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

The director is the first Female to win an Emmy for directing in a drama in 22 years and the first woman to win an Emmy and DGA for a drama series. The director is more than fine and is actually more acclaimed than the lead actress in the movie :ph34r: 

oh. i don't care for tv series. Movies for the big screen are a different beast.  Her latest movie is low rated on imdb altho the RT score is not that bad.

anyway, we shall see. i hope it's a success. I'm rooting for it

11 minutes ago, Alli said:

oh. i don't care for tv series. Movies for the big screen are a different beast.  Her latest movie is low rated on imdb altho the RT score is not that bad.

anyway, we shall see. i hope it's a success. I'm rooting for it

I feel like female action movies now a days are a hard sell which is odd to me since you hear everyone clamoring for them online but then when one gets released, it flops. Then again they're mostly average films (like Red Sparrow) or they get torched by critics (like Peppermint). The recent one that was a true box office success and had good reviews was Atomic Blonde and even that I felt should have done more at the box office but I guess given its early premiere date, its buzz died down by the time it got released. But still. You'd think a well reviewed female action movie starring Charlie Theron would have done $100M+ world wide. 

In regards to this film specifically, my guess is that its gonna get delayed mostly because of production issues stemming from Blake's hand injury. I think when she got hurt, they barely filmed anything so the bulk of the movie was filmed this summer. 

But again in regards to the director specifically, I really really don't think Barbara Broccoli and EON productions would invest in this movie/director if they didn't think she had the right vision for an action film. 

I personally think they should just move this film until next fall. Maybe like October or something. I don't know. 2019 is so packed with franchise films that I have no idea where you'd be able to put this thing anyways. It just seems like its destined to flop. Not because of the director or the actors involved or even the story but because 2019 just seems like a blood bath when it comes to release dates and where to put films like this lol 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

it's a bust because gp doesnt care about female action heroes. most of them flop (lately we've had tomb raider and red sparrow, which had a lot more promo than this will have, and WW being an obvious exception)

i think this will do 45m dom tops.

Edited by TombRaider

22 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Pretty sure it's heading to Netflix like Eli too at this point.

Honestly with the way female action films have been doing (box office wise) and the literally zero promo for this in a crowded 2019, it’s prob in its best interest to go to Netflix anyways. The studio won’t have to write it off as a box office bomb/flop (i don’t know how this works when it comes to Netflix buying movies) and it’ll just go down as one of Netflix’s many original films that gets thrown on the streaming service. Probably the best case scenario for everyone involved tbh 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nova said:

Honestly with the way female action films have been doing (box office wise) and the literally zero promo for this in a crowded 2019, it’s prob in its best interest to go to Netflix anyways. The studio won’t have to write it off as a box office bomb/flop (i don’t know how this works when it comes to Netflix buying movies) and it’ll just go down as one of Netflix’s many original films that gets thrown on the streaming service. Probably the best case scenario for everyone involved tbh  

This is what I thought. It was supposed to be a franchise tho?? but maybe they had the idea before tomb raider and red sparrow flopped

I still dont get blake's career, everything goes slowly, one movie per year, and she has nothing filmed/about to start filming after TRS.... that husband movie has been in the works for like 2 years and nobody else is cast yet

Edited by TombRaider
  • Like 1

Just now, TombRaider said:

This is what I thought. It was supposed to be a franchise tho?? but maybe they had the idea before tomb raider and red sparrow flopped

I was under the impression that EON produced it with the intention of turning it into a franchise since it’s based off a series of books. It could still be a franchise but a franchise that’s on Netflix....if it’s popular enough of course. But this is me just assuming things as it hasn’t even been sent to Netflix yet anyways :lol: But again I know nothing about this movie so it’s hard to judge it/no what the hell is going on with it. I follow Reed Moreno on Instagram though and she was in London not that long ago doing edits for the film so they’re obviously still planning on releasing it. 

*I would be very surprised though if it got released to theaters with the date it has though. If it gets this release date, I would assume it’s through a streaming service. Otherwise I’d imagine they’d just move it to next fall or something. 

49 minutes ago, JB33 said:

All these films dropping off the schedule is making January and February even more barren than they already were! It's going to be a long couple months until CAPTAIN MARVEL hits on March 8.

The only movie that I think will make a splash is the sequel to Happy Death Day but that’s one movie in the span of 3 months. Yikes. 

*Although isn’t the LEGO movie sequel coming out in February too?? 

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

The only movie that I think will make a splash is the sequel to Happy Death Day but that’s one movie in the span of 3 months. Yikes. 

*Although isn’t the LEGO movie sequel coming out in February too?? 

what?? glass and alita (even tho i see this flopping) will drag HDD2. I also think what men want and escape room will gross more

Edited by TombRaider
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

what?? glass and alita (even tho i see this flopping) will drag HDD2. I also think what men want and escape room will gross more

I completely forgot about Glass. Omg I’m so dumb. It opening up in January is throwing me off cause I’m not used to highly anticipated movies opening then lol And I think Alita will be huge OS but not do much domestically 

Also I forgot about Serenity starring Anne Hathaway and Mathew M....(however you spell his last name) 

Edited by Nova

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

I completely forgot about Glass. Omg I’m so dumb. It opening up in January is throwing me off cause I’m not used to highly anticipated movies opening then lol And I think Alita will be huge OS but not do much domestically 

Also I forgot about Serenity starring Anne Hathaway and Mathew M....(however you spell his last name) 

lol i'd google his name all the time searching for nudes back in the day and always get it wrong. matthe mcouasgdhnfgdsaye

I see HDD2 doing 45m or so, escape room 52m and alita 70m

Edited by TombRaider
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Yeah, there's GLASS and THE LEGO MOVIE 2, but two movies don't make 1/6 of the entire yearly movie schedule. It's still barren. HAPPY DEATH DAY 2U is a sequel to a well received horror movie but it also doesn't really move the needle for me.

Not really an update, but Deadline had this to stay in an article about Reed Morano (the director) signing with CAA:

She most recently completed the Blake Lively-starrer The Rhythm Section, which Paramount has on the release calendar for February, but which likely will move till later in the year.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/reed-morano-caa-signing-the-handmaids-tale-director-1202535085/