kayumanggi

THE RHYTHM SECTION | January 31, 2020 | Paramount | Blake Lively

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

damn this movie was pushed back for almost a year only to be dumped in January :bagoverhead:

Most of the movies out this month have been sitting on the shelf for a while tbh. Underwater was made in the first half of 2017. The Turning was made in the first quarter of 2018. That Sebastian Stan war movie out this upcoming weekend was made in the summer of 2017. This began shooting at the end of the 2017 (though Lively being injured caused filming to be paused for a bit). Reinforces the notion that this really is the time of year when studios dump their trash.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Most of the movies out this month have been sitting on the shelf for a while tbh. Underwater was made in the first half of 2017. The Turning was made in the first quarter of 2018. That Sebastian Stan war movie out this upcoming weekend was made in the summer of 2017. This began shooting at the end of the 2017 (though Lively being injured caused filming to be paused for a bit). Reinforces the notion that this really is the time of year when studios dump their trash.

And yet Underwater wasn’t that badly reviewed (pretty sure it’s in the 50s on RT which isn’t that bad) The Sebastian Stan movie has good audience reviews thus far and has been screening for months. Seems like some studios don’t really know how to assess their “trash” and then don’t know what to do with a movie that may have had production issues. We shall see about The Turning and this movie. 

Edited by Nova
  • Astonished 1

I’m sorry but I have to laugh. Not at the trailer but at Paramount who literally did nothing to promote this movie and now 10 days before release they’re like here’s a trailer that highlights our action film produced by James Bond producers 💀 But also as trailer track mentioned in one of their tweets, they think this is all coming from Paramount UK and the US is just jumping in on it. So I do wonder if there was pressure from EON on the UK subdivision to actually promote this movie and that’s why they’ve been doing most of the marketing. 

• Haha 1

I haven’t read the source material but to be fair on paper this movie *should* have worked. It’s a pretty solid director. Solid cast. Produced by EON during a time when people want a female Bond. Music composed from Han Zimmer’s company. Released by a major studio. But for whatever reason some movies just don’t work. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I haven’t read the source material but to be fair on paper this movie *should* have worked. It’s a pretty solid director. Solid cast. Produced by EON during a time when people want a female Bond. Music composed from Han Zimmer’s company. Released by a major studio. But for whatever reason some movies just don’t work. 

Yeah, I mean it's coming to my local theater, which doesn't pick up every major film, so I see posters it for all the time. While Paramount has been having a terrible year+, I'm sure on paper it seemed like a potential decent sized box office hit. It just doesn't appear to be clicking the way they'd hope it would. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

watch this get like 60% on RT :ph34r:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nova said:

The first trailer made it look almost the opposite of Bond in the spy genre too, low budget vs 300M gross budget type of production, prestigious Austin Martin on the fanciest world location vs grim and didn't not seem to hint that it is set in the same world, in that sense I do not know how much from the producer of Bond production/EON help here, but yes that a case for which there was probably a bidding of interested distributor and just didn't find is hard to define working tone (if it failed, who know if it would not surprise)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The first trailer made it look almost the opposite of Bond in the spy genre too, low budget vs 300M gross budget type of production, prestigious Austin Martin on the fanciest world location vs grim and didn't not seem to hint that it is set in the same world, in that sense I do not know how much from the producer of Bond production/EON help here, but yes that a case for which there was probably a bidding of interested distributor and just didn't find is hard to define working tone (if it failed, who know if it would not surprise)

Yea but that’s more on the marketing than anything else. Obviously this movie doesn’t look like a James Bond film in budget but that’s because it doesn’t have anywhere near the budget. But from my understanding the source material is associated with an ex MI6 agent (Jude Law’s character) and I feel like if they focused more on that and how he’s recruited Blake’s character, it would have felt more like a spy thriller and a much better sell than trying to sell it as another revenge flick. All in all, I def think there were better ways to sell this as spy thriller and for me at least the second trailer does that much better than the first. This trailer makes it feel more Bourne-like than the first one and the tone in this second trailer should have been the way they marketed the movie from the get go. 

8 hours ago, aladdino said:

no one wants to see blake lively uglify herself, tbh

That's literally impossible.

Anyway, shame about this movie. However, it doesn't look blatantly bad judging by the trailers. There's enough there that I'm interested in seeing it and then deciding for myself. Can you imagine the complete 180 this would do in terms of tracking if EON suddenly, out of the blue, announced that this IS set in the world of Bond? It's not going to happen. but it's an interesting thought.