kayumanggi

THE RHYTHM SECTION | January 31, 2020 | Paramount | Blake Lively

...Okay.

All of this time I thought this was about a former drum major who went around getting revenge with her baton. Which sounded WAY cooler.

Someone could probably splice all of these 'MY FAMILY WAS MURDERED' movies together in a supercut trailer and I could never tell the difference.

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2019 at 4:52 PM, TombRaider said:

would anyone go see it just because it says from the producers of 007???

Judging by the trailer/poster I guess not at all, I thought it would milk a connection way more than that. I think it could have virtually 0 effect.

Trailer isn't bad (seem to have some nice on location production value displayed), but I wonder if there is any hook there  and the remake/use of the song isn't the best one we saw.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Flea-Chad Smith

Stefan Lessard- Carter Beauford

Steve Harris-Nicko Mc Brain

John Paul Jones- John Bohnam

Sting-Stewart Copeland

Geddy Lee- Neil Peart

Justin Chancelor-Danny Carrey

John Myung- Mike Portnoy

Tim Commerford- Brad Wilk

Just to name a few.

Edited by The Futurist

I don't have a problem with the revenge plot because they killed your family. I mean as long as it's executed correctly, I really don't see the issue. Like I know its a running joke but John Wick's franchise began because they killed his dog….but it was executed really well. I actually didn't have a problem with the trailer all that much. I just have ZERO faith in this movie because of its release date. This film is a turd but I honestly may have thought differently if it had a different release date. Oh well. 

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Judging by the trailer/poster I guess not at all, I thought it would milk a connection way more than that. I think it could have virtually 0 effect.

Trailer isn't bad (seem to have some nice on location production value displayed), but I wonder if there is any hook there  and the remake/use of the song isn't the best one we saw.

Another big red flag. If EON really wanted this to be their next franchise they would have easily thrown in the "from the producers of James Bond," but they didn't. 

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

Another big red flag. If EON really wanted this to be their next franchise they would have easily thrown in the "from the producers of James Bond," but they didn't. 

That was my first thought as well, maybe the movie is not particularly good and they didn't want to hurt the brand by pushing brought you by the James Bond expert in spy movie production, but it could be a lot of confirmation bias because of the release date on my part and always wanted it to be is own think completely separated brand wise. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That was my first thought as well, maybe the movie is not particularly good and they didn't want to hurt the brand by pushing brought you by the James Bond expert in spy movie production, but it could be a lot of confirmation bias because of the release date on my part and always wanted it to be is own think completely separated brand wise. 

The weird thing about this movie is that its Thanksgiving release date was a good one in the sense that most movies don't get dumped on that weekend. But honestly I wouldn't be surprised that the weekend being jam packed this year as well as this movie not being particularly good made them move it. And looking at their release schedule for the early part of 2020, the one date that wouldn't interfere with another Paramount movie (i.e. open the weekend before/after another Paramount movie) was the 31st of January. 

I still hope EON productions goes into the female spy world. But it would be interesting to see if this movie ends up being a dud quality wise, why it was hard for them to make it good when usually they're pretty on the ball with these kinds of films. They typically control the Bond films from start to finish and I wonder if maybe that wasn't the case with this film.  

1 hour ago, Nova said:

The weird thing about this movie is that its Thanksgiving release date was a good one in the sense that most movies don't get dumped on that weekend. But honestly I wouldn't be surprised that the weekend being jam packed this year as well as this movie not being particularly good made them move it. And looking at their release schedule for the early part of 2020, the one date that wouldn't interfere with another Paramount movie (i.e. open the weekend before/after another Paramount movie) was the 31st of January. 

I still hope EON productions goes into the female spy world. But it would be interesting to see if this movie ends up being a dud quality wise, why it was hard for them to make it good when usually they're pretty on the ball with these kinds of films. They typically control the Bond films from start to finish and I wonder if maybe that wasn't the case with this film.  

I think the movie looks pretty dark and not appropriate as a holiday release. January works fine for a movie like this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nova said:

The release date is the same as Taken. They probably wanna try to replicate some of that success.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

The release date is the same as Taken. They probably wanna try to replicate some of that success.

I was looking at box office numbers for Super Bowl weekend and like 7-10 years ago, there were movies that did pretty well. Like Hannah Montana Movie, Dear John and Taken. So it is possible for a movie to do well I guess.  I’m just wondering why in recent years the numbers have taken a drastic dip: like is it the quality of movies, is it people just interested in movies that weekend because of the super bowl or maybe a combo of both. Guess we will see.

14 hours ago, TLK said:

I think the movie looks pretty dark and not appropriate as a holiday release. January works fine for a movie like this.

It would have def got lost in the shuffle given its old release date especially with much better options for a holiday film. 

It’s wild to see studios butcher the release of female led action films that aren’t CBM over and over again. And yea most of the time these movies aren’t of quality and I suspect this one isn’t very good BUT that hasn’t stopped said studios from heavily promoting male led action films that are subpar. I mean in this situation I’m not even asking for much: that poster is literally the bare minimum you can do for a $50M action film. Paramount and EON literally couldn’t be bothered to give us a decent poster. But I’m even more disappointed in EON because this is supposed to be their response to the people who wanted a female Bond and yet it feels like they’re putting in zero effort. Like making the film was enough. 

2 hours ago, Nova said:

It’s wild to see studios butcher the release of female led action films that aren’t CBM over and over again. And yea most of the time these movies aren’t of quality and I suspect this one isn’t very good BUT that hasn’t stopped said studios from heavily promoting male led action films that are subpar. I mean in this situation I’m not even asking for much: that poster is literally the bare minimum you can do for a $50M action film. Paramount and EON literally couldn’t be bothered to give us a decent poster. But I’m even more disappointed in EON because this is supposed to be their response to the people who wanted a female Bond and yet it feels like they’re putting in zero effort. Like making the film was enough. 

To be fair, shooting for this began in 2017 and it's coming out around a year after its original release date (and has been chosen to open on a weekend where movies go to die). Think it's safe to say whatever confidence they had in this dissipated a while ago.