baumer

War For the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Grade it  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Is it weird that I kinda think the second half didn't go far enough in the brutality? I mean, I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to go with the holocaust imagery, you'd better go all the way with it. And while there certainly were some brutal moments here and there in War, I don't think it, for me, ever really captured that same atmosphere of crushing horror and cruelty compared to something like Schindler's List. In movies like those, you really got the impression that the guards could kill anyone at any time for no other reason than because they felt like it. But I never really got that impression from this movie and, as a result, I wasn't really as invested as I was supposed to be. So it just came off as a bit overlong and bleak (but not in the good way).

I enjoyed the first half though. And the movie overall. Just wish they'd had the balls to go all the way with that second half. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

Is it weird that I kinda think the second half didn't go far enough in the brutality? I mean, I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to go with the holocaust imagery, you'd better go all the way with it. And while there certainly were some brutal moments here and there in War, I don't think it, for me, ever really captured that same atmosphere of crushing horror and cruelty compared to something like Schindler's List. In movies like those, you really got the impression that the guards could kill anyone at any time for no other reason than because they felt like it. But I never really got that impression from this movie and, as a result, I wasn't really as invested as I was supposed to be. So it just came off as a bit overlong and bleak (but not in the good way).

I enjoyed the first half though. And the movie overall. Just wish they'd had the balls to go all the way with that second half. 

Yeah, my biggest complaint is they should have gone further and took the R rating (as Logan and Deadpool have shown recently, big properties can really succeed with it)

You didn't get to feel the full impact of what Reeves wanted to show because the PG-13 rating is too tame.  The movie almost feels like an Animal Farm like analogy of war.

• Like 1

The torture was the best part of the film by far. It's really powerful stuff. The movie's quality can be summed up in two parts for me:

Beginning-Woody's confrontation with Caesar: Perfection

Once the Apes get food-end: Varying degrees of stupidity, eye roll worthy "humor", and a rushed, disjointed feel

• Like 3

On 7/15/2017 at 2:35 PM, Boner Omega said:

I had a feeling Caesar was going to die going into it.  

Then you find out his son is named Cornelius, they are going to the desert, you meet a young girl named Nova.  This is all set-up to Planet of the Apes - in which there is no Caesar.  So I knew he was going to die.  

It still fucking destroyed me.  It was almost perfect. 

I haven't seen the original since...high school about five years ago, so this was completely lost on me.

This is a great film but fair warning: if you're looking for summer escapist fun, look elsewhere. "War" becomes very bleak at times and reminds me of something that would be released in the fall closer to awards season. The CGI is absolutely incredible though and it's breathtaking to know that these characters you become so invested in aren't actually real. Outside of Caesar (give Andy Serkis an award already) and the apes, I was worried about Woody Harrelson and while I hated him as a villain, I respected his motivation and appreciated how complex this entire story was. Before seeing "War", I revisited both "Rise" and "Dawn" and yeah, this is easily the best trilogy Hollywood has given us since Toy Story and Lord Of The Rings. Every movie evolves from the last and offers something completely different and in an age of endless series like Transformers, that's something special and deserves a ton of praise. Apes together strong. - A

On 7/15/2017 at 9:27 PM, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Another interesting thing to point out was that it was Caesar's mercy and ultimate refusal to give into the killing, or war, that killed him.  He ends up offering mercy at every pivotal moment where he could have chosen not to, and the man who shot him is the man he spared.

Loved that. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 3:33 AM, baumer said:

I really didn't like it all that much.  This is a depressing film and not one I enjoyed sitting through.  I hated seeing Caesar getting whipped like a slave.  I hated seeing the apes dominated and being deprived of food and water.  The first 90 minutes of the film is pretty much the apes getting their asses handed to them.  And then, after they get their freedom, what cheery way do they end it?  They kill the one character everyone loves.  The only thing worse would have been if they killed Maurice as well.  

I think the writers got too cute or too stupid or too brave or something.  I wanted a war and what I got was the subjugation and torture of the characters that I have grown attached too.  And like some of the reviewers mentioned, having Nova walk in undetected was pretty ridiculous.  They are on high alert waiting for the army to come in.  But somehow a little girl can get past their defences and get into the compound?  I didn't like that.

Also, you do everything you can to make Woody Harrelson one of the meanest SOB's I've ever seen on screen, and them how do you kill him?  By him committing suicide.  Fuck that.  This is a man who killed his own son, killed Caesar's family, kills and tortures apes, whips them, deprives them of food and water and shelter and he kills himself off screen.  By this time, you need closure with him and Caesar should have torn him to shreds.

Not a great conclusion at all.

6/10 

What? The point of this movie was to show the enslavement of the apes and their torture...your first paragraph just doesn't make sense. I have no idea why you expected a happy film.

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

What? The point of this movie was to show the enslavement of the apes and their torture...your first paragraph just doesn't make sense. I have no idea why you expected a happy film.

What? Go away Noctis.

On 7/18/2017 at 8:33 PM, baumer said:

This is a man who killed his own son, killed Caesar's family, kills and tortures apes, whips them, deprives them of food and water and shelter and he kills himself off screen.  By this time, you need closure with him and Caesar should have torn him to shreds.

This would've been such a cliche.  By having him kill himself with the intense realization that he too became infected, it became powerfully satisfying and as a result is one of the best scenes in the movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Sounds like you need a jumbo jet tampon.

That's your only speed these days buddy. You're just a guy who comes here who tries to be edgy with every single post. It's so old by now that I just ignore what you say most of the time.

Oh look, another post where Noctis is insulting someone. Ho hum.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

That's your only speed these days buddy. You're just a guy who comes here who tries to be edgy with every single post. It's so old by now that I just ignore what you say most of the time.

Oh look, another post where Noctis is insulting someone. Ho hum.

You are aware you told me to go away because I criticized your post, right? 

And edgy? This is a fucking box office forum...what on earth do I have to prove? FFS

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

I disagree. I hated his death. He got off too easy.

He killed a member of his own fucking family because he had the virus, so it was perfect that he killed himself because of the virus.  He mentioned how it was so painful for him to kill his own son because he had the virus, so imagine how painful it was for him to kill himself because of it.

33 minutes ago, baumer said:

I disagree. I hated his death. He got off too easy.

Most wretched people do get off pretty easy, it's pretty rare that the wicked get the come-uppance they deserve.  It's a reflection on that reality (while also giving a moment to show that Harrelson's character did have some remote sense of humanity).

I saw Harrelson kill Caesar's family, enslave apes, whip them, shoot them, deprive them of food and water, whip them and kill more or them.

And he gets a bullet to the head?  Forgive me for  wanting an I spit on Your Grave type of comeuppance.  

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I saw Harrelson kill Caesar's family, enslave apes, whip them, shoot them, deprive them of food and water, whip them and kill more or them.

And he gets a bullet to the head?  Forgive me for  wanting an I spit on Your Grave type of comeuppance.  

He killed his son for the human race at that moment he failed not only himself, mankind but it meant his sons death was for nothing. Ceaser thought he had been through enough pain. 

• Like 3