baumer

War For the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Grade it  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Repost 

On 7/13/2017 at 0:30 AM, MrGamer2558 said:

Welp, whatever feels I had left after seeing Logan are now gone after watching War for the Planet of the Apes. Such a great movie and a great finish to Caesar's story. It's as dark as advertised. Like Logan, there are very few "feel good" moments in the movie, though it didn't feel as bleak as Logan did. Whatever doubt I had left in Reeves directing Batman disappeared while watching this. I give it a 9.5.

Saw it with two mates. One of them had not seen the first two and flat out did not like this movie. The other thought this was weaker than the other two but still good. I also agree that this is the weakest of the three but still a decent enough watch. A lot problems was you had to suspend logic for a lot of the jail break. Also a lot of pacing problems and lack of dialogue which the first two did not have. I see why this did not hold so well its not the super solid film the critics said.

C+

• Like 2

Upon rewatch, War for the Planet of the Apes is solid, but not nearly close to the masterpiece I thought it was on initial viewing. The complexities of the last film are gone for a simple revenge story/character study, which is well done, but not as engaging as it could be. The first third is a mystery that totally bores once you know the answer to it all, which makes it a slog in the worst sense. Harrelson also drops down from being great to just being okay. Serkis is still fantastic though and overall, it's a nice change of pace to the other PG-13 blockbusters this summer, although anything bigger than that is being far too kind to it. B

• Like 2

Reeves is a great craftsman no doubt, but you can’t make me side with apes over humans no matter how many slavery camps, torture, whipping, sneak attacks, evil humans you put in your movie. Why am I supposed to be cheering/happy for the Apes for surviving the avalanche when thousand of human lives were lost?

That said, War does look amazing and has one of the better scores of the year, plus Reeves directs the first and third acts so impeccably that I can’t help myself but be enthralled by it.

I didn't think it was the best of the trilogy. Probably my least favorite of the trilogy, but I enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the whole trilogy. Ceasers death seemed sudden though and right after he died the movie just ended? 

Are they planning another one? I thought they were?

I'd give it a B

Edited by cheesypoofs