WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Just now, filmlover said:

Sub-2,000 theaters for Valerian confirmed. RIP That One Guy. You were so young.

I mean STX is still a new distributor.  They're probably just going to announce the estimated theater count at a later time than the other two.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Yes I'm sure a movie about a Pakistani male and white woman hooking up in urban city Chicago sounds like a rural crowd pleaser.

It appeals to a city boy in a rural area such as myself :redcapes: 

Yeah, I'm thinking mid-low 60m range right now, but it depends on a few factors.

1. War had more preview times than Dawn, and earlier times at that.

2. Franchises tend to become more internally frontloaded in their OWs overtime.

3. Previews have slightly grown in popularity since 2014

4. Trilogy screeners on Wednesday likely inflate the gross with $20 tickets.

Edited by A Panda of Ice and Fire

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm super curious to see how The Big Sick fares. It's performing pretty weak at my theater (last night only sold 4 tickets, the showing that just started sold 8, and it only has 8 other tickets throughout the rest of the day so far), so I'm starting to believe it'll be big in cities but weak in rural areas. 

Meanwhile, I'm think some of you underestimated Wish Upon. Everything I'm seeing leads me to believe it's opening over ICAN.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. How is it compared to 47MD?

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Anyways, that TC for Girls Trip is a bit surprising. I question rural appeal, although next Thursday has already sold 16 tickets at my theater.

Movies with African American leads or appeal rarely open with 3,000+ theaters. Even Hidden Figures opened in less than 2,500 theaters the weekend it went wide before expanding to nearly 3,300 theaters the following weekend (and more than 3,400 the weekend after) as it was becoming a monster.

2 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. How is it compared to 47MD?

At my theater, 47 Meters Down was selling a lot more. People were predicting 3-4M for Wish Upon here, which never made any sense to me.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Solid for War. I initially was expecting an OW just over Dawn. Now, seeing the number, I'm expecting an OW just over/under $65M DOM. I'm not changing my multiplier. I've give a 2.65 multiplier for a finish just over/under $175M DOM.

I'm going to be pretty darn disappointed if it doesn't beat Rise.

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Is it possible that GoT will have an effect the coming Sundays?

While GoT will garner a large audience, it's doubtful.

Mainly because it airs so late on Sunday night and due to how HBO Now works, you can watch it at any time you like (not necessarily the starting one).

Edited by A Panda of Ice and Fire
  • Like 7