WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Looking at how my theater performed today:

Apes has been a mixed bag. The first 2D matinee nearly sold out, yet the afternoon 2D shows were only about 45% full each. It's nearly sold out for the 2D starting now. 3D showings have only sold 10-15 seats each today, but now they're filling up because 2D is full.

Wish Upon sold nearly 50 seats for the 7 PM show, about 15 seats for the morning show, and less than 10 seats for each of the afternoon shows.

The Big Sick has been selling 10-20 seats for pretty much every show.

The afternoon showings of WW sold between 20-25 seats and the show that just started sold about 35.

BD is much more of a nighttime performer this far into its run. It probably could have sold 40+ tickets just now if it wasn't in the 2nd smallest auditorium.

DM3 and SMH are performing excellently. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

There are like 2 scenes of humor in the movie, and they're both very short.  I have no idea what you're talking about.

Don't bait me into a ban, boy.

I expanded a little in RTM.

Not to mention it's hard to get over 90% over on RT now even with fan sites too:

These were the only mainstream/blockbuster films with 90%+ on RT this year so far:

John Wick 2

Lego Batman Movie

Get Out

Logan

Wonder Woman

Baby Driver

Spider-Man: Homecoming

War for The Planet of The Apes

All made/making decent to breakout sized bank.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

And they use their own words, too...you don't rely on what other folks write about your movie...you need to have your own narrative...it's lazy otherwise...

But the point is that the Apes series is all dour and serious when people don't want that. You can't make a successful marketing campaign saying that it's otherwise.

• Like 1

We see generic horror films constantly making 30+ million on opening weekends ... I think WAY over 50 million for It.  It's seemingly caught on with people, both those who remember the original and people discovering it now. 

20 for Apes is 'better' but still not very good at all, will barely pass 50 with that #.  Spider-Man is exactly what I expected.  Should do around 48.  Wonder Woman getting close to 2 is better than I expected and should get it near 7 to put the total just under 381 million.  Will pass Harry Potter 8 on Monday and be #3 all time for WB.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

War for the Planet of the Apes is the best studio blockbuster since Inception.  This is not an exaggeration on my part.  It is fantastic.

What is a "studio blockbuster"?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

War for the Planet of the Apes is the best studio blockbuster since Inception.  This is not an exaggeration on my part.  It is fantastic.

Agreed. I really enjoyed Logan, Guardians 2 and loved Wonder Woman but of the "big" movies so far this year, Apes beats them all by a huge margin. To have a big budget movie do some of the things Apes is willing to do is such a fresh breath of air. 

Now I sincerely hope good word of mouth carries it to a good run. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

But the point is that the Apes series is all dour and serious when people don't want that. You can't make a successful marketing campaign saying that it's otherwise.

No, but you can make a campaign that makes it clear how "no prior knowledge necessary to enjoy a heart-breaking story of man vs beast...come feel, cry, and follow the tragic tale of Caesar as he...blah, blah, blah"...make an attempt to appeal to a new audience...make an attempt to appeal to a more female audience...make any attempt:)...

aka...changing "dour and serious" into "heart-breaking and tragic" is a start...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Dunkirk was always going to be a legs-kinda film and the fact that its the last mega-tentpole this summer helps a lot. But that doesn't change the fact that... a $30M-ish opening would not shock me at this point. Booked tickets for my lovely love wife and I for this Thursday in New Orleans (a big film-friendly city as everyone knows) and it was shocking how easy it was to get good seats for IMAX screenings. And quite a few seats (again... good seats!) were still available. 

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, but you can make a campaign that makes it clear how "no prior knowledge necessary to enjoy a heart-breaking story of man vs beast...come feel, cry, and follow the tragic tale of Caesar as he...blah, blah, blah"...make an attempt to appeal to a new audience...make an attempt to appeal to a more female audience...make any attempt:)...

But prior knowledge is necessary with War.

Maybe the response to Dawn and Rise was not as positive as previously thought.

I don't think a high rotten tomato score would help bring people back if they were not a fan of the previous two or bring new people in as it is being marketed as 'the end', people might want to watch the first two before watching it.

It could have great legs though, we don't know.

Also I dont think a great rotten tomato would help Spidey that much either. People might just be sick of Spider-Man, it is his 3rd reboot in fifteen years. However it still is doing pretty well.

Good rotten tomato scores work for films like Baby Driver, Get Out and Wonder Woman.

Edited by AugustRain