WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

2 minutes ago, DealWithIt said:

But prior knowledge is necessary with War.

So you figure out how to make it not necessary...either by getting the important parts from past films into a trailer, by doing the "Star Wars" scroll, etc...(comic books have one page summaries ALL the time:)...

If you have to watch the 1st 2 and it's been years between entries, then you've made sure to cap your BO before you started (which is what I said in the club weeks before this opened)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

War for the Planet of the Apes certainly has goodwill (and reasonable time-table) in its corner. The fact is the footage just doesn't look that different from the last film. What is the hook here? And I say that as someone who loves this new trilogy (I would put it right next to LOTR and Nolan's Batman as film trilogies that worked from start to finish) and grew up with the original films.

• Like 4

Just for the record, I haven't seen War yet, but my father and I will probably go tomorrow. I just really want this to do well because I enjoyed the first two films, especially Dawn; Dawn was one of my favorite movies of all time, at least in recent memory.

I'll do my best to go into War with as low expectations as possible. Like I said, Dawn was one of my favorite films this decade, and I honestly don't see how this tops it.

• Like 2

War of the Apes looked like more of the same. The reason people are excited about comic book movies is very simple: the Marvel and DC universes are rich in stories and characters. That's also the reason why the Avatar sequels will kill at the box office, James Cameron wouldn't announce 4 sequels without having a rich universe that he will likely explore brilliantly.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

My friend had not seen any previous Apes movies and he loved the shit out of the movie.

Probably should've worded that better. People who have seen the first two will certainly have a closer "connection" with Caesar coming into the movie and then everything that occurs in War. That's more of what I meant by that. 

11 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

We see generic horror films constantly making 30+ million on opening weekends ... I think WAY over 50 million for It.  It's seemingly caught on with people, both those who remember the original and people discovering it now. 

20 for Apes is 'better' but still not very good at all, will barely pass 50 with that #.  Spider-Man is exactly what I expected.  Should do around 48.  Wonder Woman getting close to 2 is better than I expected and should get it near 7 to put the total just under 381 million.  Will pass Harry Potter 8 on Monday and be #3 all time for WB.

These are the horror films that have made over 30M on OW this decade:

Alien Covenant

Get Out

Split

Conjuring 2

Annabelle

Insidious 2

Conjuring

World War Z (if you consider this horror)

Prometheus

Paranormal Activity 3

Paranormal Activity 2

7/11 of these were sequels, and one was based on a book. It will make over 40M on OW, but generic films don't hit 30M+ like you said.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

War of the Apes looked like more of the same. The reason people are excited about comic book movies is very simple: the Marvel and DC universes are rich in stories and characters. That's also the reason why the Avatar sequels will kill at the box office, James Cameron wouldn't announce 4 sequels without having a rich universe that he will likely explore brilliantly.

They will come out eventually, right?

I kid :P

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Lmao, are people seriously considering the fact that a wintery setting on a poster muted grosses?  That's ridiculous.

Doesn't seem that outrageous. How many summer blockbuster took place in a winter setting and made over 150 million. 

Listen I wanted War to do great but it did look a lot like the last film and that is a problem when your marketing a movie. Everyone who says that is telling the truth.

There were people who called this underperformance and I tip my hat to them.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

War looked kind of like a carbon copy of the last one

2 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Apes looked like a snoozefest. It has the most muted coloring. Grey on Grey. It didnt really seem compelling at all. Imo. It felt totally unnecessary. 

When you people say "looked" I can't tell if you mean "I watched it and this is how I feel about it" or "Based on what I saw in trailers, television spots, etc. this is how I feel about it"

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Lmao, are people seriously considering the fact that a wintery setting on a poster muted grosses?  That's ridiculous.

No, if anything it should've made more people flock to a nicely air-conditioned movie theater to escape the unbearable summer heat lol.

I guess it's franchise fatigue is the main reason for lower numbers even for praised installments like Homecoming (in a way) and Apes. I mean look at DM3, on paper it looked exactly like Shrek, it had a breakout original, overperforming sequel, and disappointing threequel (if you count Minions) that causes adults without kids to become uninterested. Cars, Transformers, Alien, and Pirates dealt with numerous unsatisfactory predecessors and were still unsatisfactory to the GA causing underperformance and fatigue. Apes and Mummy looked more of the same, and Homecoming dealt with 3 mixed to bad movies in a row. I think without Iron Man, Homecoming would have done Doctor Strange numbers both domestically and worldwide. Even Wonder Woman had a deflated OW due to past DCEU films but was a WOM phenomenon. Homecoming and Apes will have solid legs but if Homecoming had a better position and Apes looked more different I think both could have done much bigger numbers.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2