WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yep.  Also one of my favorite movies of all time.

Matt Reeves' War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) is a very close second and it's hard to imagine any movie (until December at the earliest) being better than this.  It was truly fantastic.

Not even Valerian? Or Dunkirk? For the record I'm ranking Get Out higher than the War for the Planet of the Apes (although War has a very strong chance of remaining in my top 5, it's a fantastic blockbuster).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I'm so excited for the Avatar sequels. I've pulled a complete 180 on them this year. Went from "eh whatever" to @IronJimbo-lite. 

Give it to me, Cameron.

Now we just need to get the majority of western audience on board with this transition in attitude.  ;)

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Hoping Apes can do 21.

5 + 16 + 17 + 13 = 51

WAR OD = 4.0-4.2x the previews

DAWN OD = 6.7x the previews

So already a lot more front-loading than DAWN.

DAWN did 2.87x final multi. I don't think WAR can do more than 2.7-2.8x.

With a 50-54 ow, 2.7-2.8x gives 135-151 dom.

Disappointing.

I'm already unpleasantly surprised this is struggling to reach $20M today following $5M in previews.

I will be shocked if this somehow can't even reach a $150M total

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Not even Valerian? Or Dunkirk? For the record I'm ranking Get Out higher than the War for the Planet of the Apes (although War has a very strong chance of remaining in my top 5, it's a fantastic blockbuster).

Valerian looks fantastic and all.  But I was blown the fuck away by War that it's really hard to imagine Valerian being better.  Still going to root for its success until the day I die.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Is the trailer online? I want to see it.

It's exclusively in theaters with Apes in the US for this weekend at least. I imagine it gets released online Monday, but you never know.

6 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

This would mean more if you weren't 17.

:kitschjob: 

7 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Hoping Apes can do 21.

5 + 16 + 17 + 13 = 51

WAR OD = 4.0-4.2x the previews

DAWN OD = 6.7x the previews

So already a lot more front-loading than DAWN.

DAWN did 2.87x final multi. I don't think WAR can do more than 2.7-2.8x.

With a 50-54 ow, 2.7-2.8x gives 135-151 dom.

Disappointing.

Yup. But should still be huge overseas. I see 600M+ worldwide 

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Valerian looks fantastic and all.  But I was blown the fuck away by War that it's really hard to imagine Valerian being better.  Still going to root for its success until the day I die.

You will die on Friday? 

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Just came back from Apes. It's the best of the trilogy, and one of the most ambitious blockbusters made in terms of the themes presented and the way they were executed. A dazzling conclusion that I'm sure will be appreciated more with time. 

Seems like you're having a more pleasant summer movie season than usual.

Wouldn't you say?

Just now, grey ghost said:

Seems like you're having a more pleasant summer movie season than usual.

Wouldn't you say?

What do you mean? If the movies I'm watching are more enjoyable or that I haven't been bitchy?

5 minutes ago, superduperm said:

I'm already unpleasantly surprised this is struggling to reach $20M today following $5M in previews.

I will be shocked if this somehow can't even reach a $150M total

Cars3 did 53.7 ow and is looking at 2.7x multi for 145 dom total.

Apes3 is looking to replicate that with a slightly smaller ow. Could well miss 150 and end up around 140.

If Deadline's numbers hold and DM3 does 21m 3rd weekend for 190m cume, it will cross 240 dom.

Could also challenge 250 considering till Poopmoji there is not direct competition.

• Like 1

I love what Fox has been doing this year.  Of my top 5 this year so far, 3/5 of them are occupied by a Fox film (Apes, Logan, and A Cure for Wellness).  For their other movies, I enjoyed The Boss Baby, and really liked Alien: Covenant and Captain Underpants.  I didn't like Snatched, unfortunately, or they'd be on a perfect streak with me so far this year.

I thought Shape of Water looked good but I sincerely hope there isn't some kind of physical romantic connection to the thing.

Apes exhausted me but it's incredibly well crafted no doubt

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Cars3 did 53.7 ow and is looking at 2.7x multi for 145 dom total.

Apes3 is looking to replicate that with a slightly smaller ow. Could well miss 150 and end up around 140.

Sadly true. Apes 2 didn't have great legs despite supposedly strong WOM. This new one is going to be more frontloaded on opening weekend and probably more frontloaded in general. 

Apes, Pirates, TF5, Cars, DM3's trajectories show why studios are turning to cinematic universes and soft reboots like JW

Franchise fatigue is a real threat, even for a masterful trilogy like Planet of the Apes.

Meanwhile MCU will still be printing money with movie #20.

• Like 3