WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Did I miss the memo? Is War for the Planet of the Apes getting pulled after tonight is that why there's so much Doom and Gloom for the 20 million number? I mean it is going to play for the rest of the weekend isn't it? And it's going to continue playing for the rest of the summer isn't it.....so I guess it is possible that word of mouth could carry this to a decent number. And correct me if I'm wrong but is it not playing in other countries as well? I mean the Apes franchise has been strong overseas. You guys are talking about it like it's crashed and burned already. Why don't you give it a couple of days and see how it does for the rest of the weekend and in other parts of the world.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Eevin said:

And yeah, GET OUT is still far and away the best film of the year for me. Not really seeing too much that can challenge it at this point except for Dunkirk, Blade Runner and a couple others.

(I haven't seen Big Sick or Baby Driver yet, so that could change)

The mall is on Atom and the local isn't, right...I'm just trying to keep getting my head around how much of an effect their deal (which is still ongoing to a lesser extent) might have had...

Both AMCs on Atom actually

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Apes is like 12th or 13th of the year for me. If the third act didn't draw me out so much, it would have been a Top 5 film.

The third act MAKES the movie.  It's one of my favorite, most emotionally satisfying third acts in recent memory.  It was phenomenal.

1 minute ago, Rumpot said:

Huh...one must not have a lot of matinee goers b/c those early matinee figures were pretty far apart...I track 2 locals (one on Atom and one not) and they had the same kinda discrepancy, so I was checking if yours was the same...maybe it was the mall being an easy spot to see this or nicer chairs and viewing times:)...

I should add the local theater has a few much smaller showings - the RealDs only have capacity of 58 + 8 handicap so they were full. I think that's the main reason for the difference. Sorry...got lazy on adding capacity...I will in the future.

• Like 1

I really don't think I can think of a modern blockbuster that attempts the same kind of tone War goes for, except maybe Dawn (and even then not really).  It's a really bold move to make your tentpole so subdued.

Logan's probably the best comparison, but even that went a little more berserk on the action sequences.  That one also was a little more in your face about being angsty, War has that same kind of contention but I don't get angst or depression from it.

• Like 1

I do think that the international numbers are going to be great so that's going to mitigate any under performance that Apes does domestically. And I understand what Baumer it's saying but usually sequels are more front-loaded so that's why people are kind of setting themselves up for the disappointing gross. Personally I thought that it hitting 190 wouldn't be disappointing.  But I have my doubts about it hitting that number if it only does say high 50's or just crack 60mil because it would have to improve on the second movie's multiplier and that usually doesn't happen.  And then I'm reading that it doesn't have as much action as the trailers lead you to believe, that could really hurt it in the long run. Listen I was horribly disappointed by his Star Trek Beyond so I've been preparing myself for this.

Just now, That One Guy said:

Also, this is true.  Watch RISE, DAWN, and WAR.  Preferably on the same day.  And enjoy the second best trilogy of all time :).

You're stretching it.  War is fairly excellent, but the other two are 'only' good.

It is nice that it's able to be a complete trilogy without a bad installment.