WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Where are those people that kept saying OVER and OVER that War would be a walk up film?

$4.1M for Dawn's previews and it did $70M OW, thinking $60M-$65M seems fair.

• Like 1

Just now, miketheavenger said:

Because it is. The low preview numbers just reinforce that notion. Dawn made 72m after 4m in previews. If that's not walk-up heavy, I don't know what is.

10pm previews for an older audience are not as loved...and even then, it sets a max of 18x for the weekend...and it was the 2nd movie coming off a loved 1st movie, not the 3rd movie...so expecting 18x or even something close is very optimistic...

It's got the reviews and tomato law and Atom deal at its back...but it doesn't sound like it has originality or widening of the audience going for it...

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Where are those people that kept saying OVER and OVER that War would be a walk up film?

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film.

War is a walkup film

• Like 5

Good reviews do not automatically mean that it is going to be huge. People keep saying it's the best movie of the year! So what? That is an opinion and it doesn't mean that the film is going to retain the audience from the previous movie. There are people who keep saying that Logan is the best comic book movie in their opinion and it's not going to be the highest grossing one nor is it going to have the best legs. 

I wanted it to over perform as well but it isn't and it wouldn't be shocking if it went below 60 million for the weekend. Every time people pretend that the preview numbers don't mean anything they come away disappointed this year. I remember when alien Covenant preview numbers were amazing because they were above the last movie's midnight numbers and so on and so forth.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

With that preview number, I'd say it's as likely for Apes to drop to $50M or lower as it is for it to get to $70M or higher right now...

It will be sad if sequel law wins for a great movie, but the empty theaters for the 3 parter Wed might have been a sign that no one new was coming to watch this series...and a lack of good marketing and reliance on tomato law doesn't always bring every previous viewer back...

But, we'll see as more data rolls in...

29 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I always forget that show still exists until someone mentions it here. At most, a negligible effect. On a separate note, fuck that show and fuck the long form storytelling of television. What is this? Is it on Season 7 now? So there are 6 season of 10+ 60 minute episodes? Story ain't fucking over yet? Give me a break. Cinema > Television for life.

This post is just filled with wrong.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

......It is a walkup film. Presales went up over 70% from last night at my theater this morning.

Ok now I' really not sure I understand what people mean by walkup film, is presales going up 70% very low because it is the type of movie people do not pre-buy, but walk up too ?

honestly?  Never been a big fan of TV shows in general.  I prefer how movies tell their story in about two hours, as it prevents filler and other pacing issues that are more likely to happen in a TV show.  plus I don't like the idea of having to sit down for 10 hours or so to catch up on the episodes or whatever.  Just never appealed to me.  sorry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Ok now I' really not sure I understand what people mean by walkup film, is presales going up 70% very low because it is the type of movie people do not pre-buy, but walk up too ?

The big jump in sales shows that this isn't a movie where presales are huge. SMH had presales on par with WW yet opened to 13M more thanks to walkups.

Apes preview is just fine considering the lack of buzz I was afraid of it coming in below Dawn. 

As to the TV debate long form beats movies on nearly every front except budget and scale (obvious exceptions to things like GOT.) While I love movies, I really love being able to immerse in a world for more than just a couple of hours. Halfway through season 5 of the Good Wife and its like one of the best examples of traditional long form working well. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Completely disagree. Current television>>>>>>> current cinema. In which got is the top tier.

Really? Like what? Americans disappointed this season. Leftovers had a dud ending. Even Fargo was a letdown this season. I'll give it up to Legion... Easily the most compelling superhero storytelling on television or film in 2017. But, man, the form in television is just stale as fuck most of the time. Half these shows can't tell a compelling story with 60 friggin' hours.

I will say that some of the animated stuff and sitcoms are great like Rick and Morty, Silicon Valley, etc. But, that's different.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

This post is just filled with wrong.

Game of Thrones outclasses nearly every movie since 2011 imo. Only a handfull of movies did i enjoy more than the epicness that is this show.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm not one of those people, but how exactly does a $5M preview number prove whether or not it's a walk-up film? Shouldn't the OD gross (which we don't have yet) in comparison to the preview gross prove or disprove that?

• Like 1