WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

19 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So if Wonder Woman had a 61% drop in its second weekend people would be saying that it had Stellar Word of Mouth? Sure they would...

Honestly I really like Star Trek Beyond but you're not going to hear me claim that it was a box-office Juggernaut just because I liked it or that everyone adored it just because I liked it.

Ant-Man dropped 58% and had very good WOM. Not a great drop for Spidey but doesn't indicate poor WOM. 

Wondy is an outlier this summer. Insane WOM. If the sequel, which will be much more frontloaded, drops 55% to 60%, it will not indicate that it has poor WOM.

• Like 1

even with current exchange rates here in the UK $9M is pretty weak for a 6-day opening. though its possible the first three days were very empty due to it being only in 3D.

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Nah. Whatever expectations may have been it's hard to call anything that grosses 300m+ an underperformer.

Unfortunately, many films that gross 300 -million plus are repeatedly called ’underperformer’... BvS anyone?

14 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It only dropped 30% and did almost 7M in its 7th weekend, and it's at 380.7M DOM. Dunkirk, a major WB release, comes out next week, and may help it out w/double features. And if necessary, WB could do a theater expansion to bring its gross up. No lie to not count your chickens before they're hatched, but what are the chances that they won't hatch in this case?

Are we sure Dunkirk will help? And i doubt WB cares whether WW beats Spiderman.

Right now, i'd say odds are 50/50. Next week the picture might change...

Edited by Elessar

Just now, Elessar said:

Are we sure Dunkirk will help? And i doubt WB cares whether WW beats Spiderman.

Right now, i'd say odds are 50/50.

Why wouldn't it? Even if that many people don't go see it OW, no reason to believe it won't have good legs (and good double feature legs, for that matter).

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Unfortunately, many films that gross 300 -million plus are repeatedly called ’underperformer’... BvS anyone?

I suspect if it had actually been a good film people would have been a lot more forgiving of such numbers. Although... if it were any good it would have made more money. So... :blink:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Had Wonder Woman dropped 61% on week 2, the by-then-already-sharpened knives of the anti-DCEU brigade  would have been licked with relish and glee.

The fact of the matter is Spider-Man has not proven that it has stellar word of mouth. People keep throwing that out there and it still hasn't been proven yet. I think we should at least wait a couple of weeks before declaring that something has stellar word of mouth. There is a definite double standard happening here, that would not be happening if Wonder Woman was performing this way.

I tell it like it is regardless of what company a movie comes from. I'm not just going to designate that something has steller word of mouth if it never shows that at the box office.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Nunya Biznez said:

Huh?  A disappointing 56m opening from Apes counts as brutal competition that killed SMH's legs?  Competition's effect is overrated.  Any movie with truly good WOM will have strong holds regardless.  Competition would be more like WW against SMH's 117m 1st weekend, when it also lost hundreds of theaters. Do you recall how that affected WW's legs? 

I'ts not like SMH lost theaters.  Moreover, these two movies (Apes vs Spiderman) are the just about at opposite ends demographically--one skews very young and the other old.  So I really don't understand how you could explain SHM's drop as being caused by competition.

And as for holidays' impact on legs, you know Father's Day and July 4th occur every year, right?  Where were all these CBM's in the last 15 summers with similar legs as WW?  Seems like some people are just throwing excuses out there because their favorites under-performed.

Look...I called WW's legs b/c I looked at her competition and knew she'd tower above it and she held a place in the market for underserved markets...

So, looking at Spidey...his competition is tougher at the get go - no question - Apes and Dunkirk are much bigger against Spidey demos b/c as a normal CBM, Spidey skews male...and males have a lot of options right now...

Spidey will get the late legs if the coming kid movies suck, and if it stays long enough to be the "super movie of last resort" all through Aug/Sept - GOTG 2 is gone to all discount theaters now and WW may drop 1/2 her theaters over the next 2 weeks (or drop to where she's only got 1-2 showings/day if she doesn't lose quite as many)...but I think theaters will keep Spidey not knowing if those coming kid movies (Emoji/Nut Job) are any good and knowing supers fans will materialize when there's nothing more to watch at least through Labor Day...as an example, seeing this weekend, Apes will now drop before Spidey w/o a miracle WOM effect for Apes...just like Mummy dropped before WW...

6 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Agreed. I think folks jump on that one for its sub 2.0 multiplier DOM though. But, yes, $330M DOM and $850M+ WE is more than fine.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Look...I called WW's legs b/c I looked at her competition and knew she'd tower above it and she held a place in the market for underserved markets...

So, looking at Spidey...his competition is tougher at the get go - no question - Apes and Dunkirk are much bigger against Spidey demos b/c as a normal CBM, Spidey skews male...and males have a lot of options right now...

Spidey will get the late legs if the coming kid movies suck, and if it stays long enough to be the "super movie of last resort" all through Aug/Sept - GOTG 2 is gone to all discount theaters now and WW may drop 1/2 her theaters over the next 2 weeks (or drop to where she's only got 1-2 showings/day if she doesn't lose quite as many)...but I think theaters will keep Spidey not knowing if those coming kid movies (Emoji/Nut Job) are any good and knowing supers fans will materialize when there's nothing more to watch at least through Labor Day...as an example, seeing this weekend, Apes will now drop before Spidey w/o a miracle WOM effect for Apes...just like Mummy dropped before WW...

Emoji might benefit Homecoming more than hurt it if it's good due to double features.

• Like 1

Internationally, the film brought in an estimated $46 million from 61 markets. Among the openings, the UK lead the way with an estimated $9.5 million debut followed by Russia ($5m) and Spain ($3.4m). By comparison, Dawn debuted with $14.8 million in the UK, $9.8 million in Russia and $4.6 million in Spain as Apes fever seems to be down across the globe.

Looks like WAR is showing big drops from DAWN

14.8 vs 9.5 in UK

9.8 vs 5 in Russia

4.6 vs 3.4 in Spain

DAWN did 500+ OS. Wonder if WAR is looking at 350-375. Add to that 150-155 dom, you get 500-530 WW.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Agreed. I think folks jump on that one for its sub 2.0 multiplier DOM though. But, yes, $330M DOM and $850M+ WE is more than fine.

And AOU despite the fact that sequels almost always decreased was deemed as a disappointment grossing $460M/$1.4B.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Impossible said:

The sleeper hits of the summer so far: 

Baby Driver 

47 Meters Down 

The Big Sick 

Everything, Everything

EE's had some awful holds lately. Still $46m on a $10m budget is a decent profit.

Just now, YourMother said:

And AOU despite the fact that sequels almost always decreased was deemed as a disappointment grossing $460M/$1.4B.

Ive never understood that. Any other movie would kill for these numbers. I mean 1,4 BILLION Worldwide! Gigantic.

• Like 1