WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

WB only made a sequel because of DVD sales.

DVD sales. lol

Remember when those actually mattered? When people actually bought movies on video? Home Video sales are dying and studios want to hurry that along by releasing movies even sooner on dvd.

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

You can disagree with this notion however much you want but I'm 100% certain that audiences are enjoying Homecoming a lot more than BvS and Suicide Squad and there isn't going to be any sort of creative fallout and BTS drama sprouting from it unlike with those movies.

All the BTS drama amounted to another $100M+ opener and the legs of which we've never seen.  Again,  I like both studios and want to see both do well.  Movies are subjective.  Whether audiences enjoyed it more or not,  they definitely did not "run away" from the DCEU as was predicted. 

If anything,  the DCEU has just gotten stronger. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Ignore MCU or DC. Let's say SMH was a Spider-Man reboot doing this exact same business as a purely Sony release and everyone would have been saying "What a horrible drop, give the rights back to Marvel"

Such is the toxic nature of fandom and fan wars, though. This movie is doing great, it's astonishing to me how people are so quick to revile a movie that clearly has a fan rush. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Then why is BvS and I'm quoting many others here (not you specifically) when I say "disappointing"  

The legs were crap but you are saying here that money is money.  

It's a sequel/reboot to Man of Steel and the Batman franchise. 

It features two top tier superheroes. 

It opened way higher at $166M,   Spider-Man Homecoming is going to end up right around BvS in terms of domestic and Worldwide. 

Why does BvS get crapped on?  Probably b/c of its divisive quality.  If it had better overall reception among the core fans and the GA, if people didn't feel ripped off for buying their initial OW ticket, they probably wouldn't bad mouth it.  I'll never forget every employee at my comic book store warning me away from it on opening Friday - only comic movie they have ever openly discouraged their customers from attending.  And when I saw it on DVD, I knew why - for me, it's awful.  But I was ready to buy my OW tickets that night and WOM literally warned me away.  So, a lot of people probably saw more BO potential for a Bats/Supes team up that wasn't that film...they could TOTALLY be wrong, but it's the expectations that a "better" movie would sell more, and they didn't get a better movie.  (PS - I accept some folks love this movie as much as I hate it, so it's probably one of the most divisive movies for opinions there is...but divisive by nature usually doesn't sell as well as "universally acclaimed":)...  

PS - Only other movie I've been "warned away from" recently was Sausage Party...and that was from nice movie board posters who said it's probably not the right thing for a mom to see...b/c even they got squeamish by the end...but they still said it was good, just not for me...which is too bad b/c I have loved certain 10 minute snippets of that movie...so if anyone can get the film makers to redo the end or make a PG-13 (or even gentle R) copy, let me know...

• Like 1

Sometimes I get the feeling that MCU movies don't play like individual movies. They all play like sequels.

I mean, Homecoming is a Spidey movie but it's also a sequel to Civil War, which was a sequel to AOU, and so on.  All the movies have been pretty much similar in narrative and structure. Every single one of them. Call it the Marvel formula, I don't know. I always leave the theaters, with the feeling that I watched just another Marvel movie.

I'm not exactly complaining, but it's the deja vu feeling. Ant-Man, Doctor Strange...I don't know. I barely remember a damn thing about these movies. 

What I liked in Fox Universe is that the movies are different. I mean, just compare X-Men Days of Future Past, X-Men Apocalypse, Logan, Deadpool. Hell, no matter if you liked them or not, these movies are entirely different in narrative, structure and messages. Call me a Fox fan, but this is what I like. Different movies. We'll have X-Force, Gambit ( probably ), New Mutants. I'm pretty sure that they'll all play in different ways.

This is my fear about movies from other universes. I hope they don't stick to the same formula. 

I also think the first Avengers was when MCU was at its peak. Since 2012, no Marvel movie has made 500 million domestic. Not even AOU or Civil War. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm not here to debate that or get into your Marvel/DC stuff.  If money is money then $873M is quite a bit of money is it not? 

That was four movies and 13 years ago. Why is this the bar that SMH has to clear?

The last Spidey movie barely scraped by 200. The one before that managed 260. This is gonna clear 300 with excellent reviews, seems like a clear and obvious success to me. 

• Like 11

Geez, I leave the forums to enjoy my weekend and there's people complaining about not constantly talking about numbers. Let's have some fun then.

I believe Spider-Man: Homecoming will end it's domestic run within 5% of Man of Steel's.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Petition to threadban@Telemachos.

The great instigator.

This isn't even a Marvel/DC discussion.  This is discussing raw numbers.  It's entirely possible to discuss numbers and not be picking a side in an ongoing stan war.  

This is all that needs to be said. 

The next time a movie makes north of $800M  it's most likely not a disappointment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm not here to debate that or get into your Marvel/DC stuff.  If money is money then $873M is quite a bit of money is it not? 

On that, I agree...but it could have had $873,000,028 if it got my 2 tickets that night...and probably many others:)...

I don't crap on either universe...I love that DC has righted the ship and I think JL looks like a winning concept coming (at least with a rehabilitation to GA of Affleck as Batman)...I'm psyched that between Disney, Sony, WB, and Fox, we've been getting some awesome supers movies the past year...it's a great time to be alive and able to buy tickets:)...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

That was four movies and 13 years ago. Why is this the bar that SMH has to clear?

The last Spidey movie barely scraped by 200. The one before that managed 260. This is gonna clear 300 with excellent reviews, seems like a clear and obvious success to me. 

Most movies that cross 300 million are going to be considered a big success I would think but there could be money left on the table.  That's my point.  I'm on your side here for the most part. It'll be interesting to see if a couple more of these are coming out in November if certain members will remember what they said about Spider-Man's run. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Ignore MCU or DC. Let's say SMH was a Spider-Man reboot doing this exact same business as a purely Sony release and everyone would have been saying "What a horrible drop, give the rights back to Marvel"

I feel the other way around, if Sony would have pulled a 90%+ on RT Spider-Man movie that will go back to doing around 300m domestic and over 850m wordlwide on a much cheaper release and production, it would be seen much more has a big victory than it is now, because Feige was in charge and the Marvel brand+Iron Man made that to be more expected. 

With marvel being involved it turned it into the first Iron Man movie that will not do 400m domestic since the Avengers instead of a clear victory that it would have been perceived for a Sony movie.

Anyway is Spider-Man homecoming drop that bad with competing with a PG-13 over 50m entry like Apes on is second weekend ?:

DCC_eqKVwAAULpT.jpg

Superheroes first entry like Doctor Strange now drop 50%, great one that play for a mostly adult audience like Guardian 2/Logan drop over 55%

Deadpool did a 57.4% drop, Civil War 59.5%, first and second guardian of the galaxy drop over 55% both, it is hard out there for a SH movie second weekend, those giant Thursday night numbers they get inflate the first weekend and make the legs look worst than they are.

Spiderman Homecoming made 15.4M in preview, is real 3 day weekend was of 101.627, second weekend dropped 55.5% from that.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2