WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

5 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I think the market is pretty welcoming of comic book movies and each comic book movie gets a share of the box office pie whether it be DC or Marvel. Not one movie is going to run away with the majority of the box office, WW and GoTGv2 making roughly around similar box office domestically, Logan with 226M and Spiderman making around 300M, all of them are literally from different comic book companies and movie studios and not any one of them running away with all the box office, nice share across the board. I think people should be happy at this point how receptive audiences still are for comic book movies given how diluted the market is with these comic book movies still being able to do good business and co-exist in the marketplace as well with a decent share of $$$ for each.

Funny, it seemed people were saying super hero fatigue was going to set in and kill the box office--and then the opposite happens. :sparta:

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I disagree on this. Fans who attend previews would definitely have gone through the rest of the weekend as well. The previews have made moviegoing more spread out than expanded them. Or are we saying the people who went to watch it asap would have not gone if there were no previews?

What would be the point of playing the movie that night (and removing sales to other movie playing) if it end up doing nothing at all to a first weekend total ? Why would they always expending them with more and more screening if they were 100% useless ?

Most of the people that were free Thursday would have been during the weekend (or tried too)

1) More spread-out make other viewing more comfortable, less line, more accessible, more good seat, etc... in it an incentive to go.

2) Not all of them would have been during the weekend obviously some were doing something during that weekend

3) Some went 2 time instead of one, 1 with friend/co-worker the thursday, one with family the weekend.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

What would be the point of playing the movie that night (and removing sales to other movie playing) if it end up doing nothing at all to a first weekend total ? Why would they always expending them with more and more screening if they were 100% useless ?

Most of the people that were free Thursday would have been during the weekend (or tried too)

1) More spread-out make other viewing more comfortable, less line, more accessible, more good seat, etc... in it an incentive to go.

2) Not all of them would have been during the weekend obviously some were doing something during that weekend

3) Some went 2 time instead of one, 1 with friend/co-worker the thursday, one with family the weekend.

Until we see actual data on the fact that audience expands, it is impossible to prove. The only reason it is done is to give higher numbers as fans can turn out earlier. I really don't believe there is any audience expansion just time expansion. It's easier on theaters as well.

Earlier shows is to say more money. That is why movies are becoming more frontloaded to Thursday, look at earlier MCU vs recent ones. Despite ODs being the same or lower, previews are higher. It's just a time transfer.

• Like 1

My open minded lovely  happy romance with ambiguous yet high spirited ending doesn't need mopey sequels!

Can someone be banned for having like, just a straight up wrong opinion?

Feel like that should be a thing.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

lmao I legitimately can't think of a movie scene that brings me as much joy as the ending of Sunset. "Cynical".

Those fuckers are cheating on their significant others! Yeah I'm not happy with my life let me fuck a bitch I met once nine years ago. It'll be better.

The whole movie is just 90 minutes of bitching and moaning

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Until we see actual data on the fact that audience expands, it is impossible to prove. The only reason it is done is to give higher numbers as fans can turn out earlier. I really don't believe there is any audience expansion just time expansion. It's easier on theaters as well.

Earlier shows is to say more money. That is why movies are becoming more frontloaded to Thursday, look at earlier MCU vs recent ones. Despite ODs being the same or lower, previews are higher. It's just a time transfe

If I understand you correctly the only reason to have the movie opening Thursday instead of Friday is a bragging rights for the studios and shorter concession line in theater so people will buy more food but it has 0 effect on an actual opening weekend total ? 

I do not know about that, when a movie get a 4 or 5 days opening + preview like Baby Driver or Baywatch, they tend to clearly have more audience for that long weekend versus what they would have had for a regular 3 days one and not just a different spread of them. I'm not sure why it would be different for 3 days + preview, versus just 3 days.

Edited by Barnack

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Yes you're right. 

Although Spider-Man coined nearly $120 million straight out of the gate. Apes won't fall that much as there's too big an audience that saw Dawn that hasn't seen it yet.

I just don't get why they didn't come out to the tune of at least $70 million this time out. 

It's frustrating. Point well made though.

This has been one of the more baffling openings of the summer for me, considering the reviews. 4,000 plus theaters and 3D, off the back of a tremendous previous chapter that did great. I thought this was a slam dunk to do $200 million+ domestically 

On the 3D part, at least locally, those don't tend to sell very well with the majority choosing the 2D option. Not just with Apes, but happened with Wonder Woman and Spider-Man: Homecoming as well.

• Like 1

If I understand you correctly the only reason to have the movie opening Thursday instead of Friday is a bragging rights for the studios and shorter concession line in theater so people will buy more food but it has 0 effect on an actual opening weekend total ?

I do not know about that, when a movie get a 4 or 5 days opening + preview like Baby Driver or Baywatch, they tend to clearly have more audience for that long weekend versus what they would have had for a regular 3 days one and not just a different spread of them. I'm not sure why it would be different for 3 days + preview, versus just 3 days.

I imagine Thursday previews help keep the sell outs down on the weekend, fans that go early can help spread that good WOM around. Why should anyone have a problem with them?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I imagine Thursday previews help keep the sell outs down on the weekend, fans that go early can help spread that good WOM around. Why should anyone have a problem with them?

Not sure who is having a problem with them ? The conversation was about if they inflate the first weekend numbers (thus making the second weekend drop look worst that they are a little bit if compared to movie released before they started so early).

Not if they are an issue (obviously it does not matter what % the second weekend is relative to the first, all that matter is the total BO)

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

20 years ago. Men in Black was ruling the Box office

Men In Black Movie Poster

Man how time flies, it's already 20 years since that movie came out. Really enjoyed it, although the next two were meh.

But such a popcorn flick .... TLJ and WS great.

• Like 2