WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Just now, Brainiac5 said:

350 dom is totally possible with a more favorable release date.

Why? Why would a greater increase than Iron Man 3 did over Iron Man 2? Remember, Iron Man 3 was first post-Avengers MCU flick and, while Iron Man 2 did not have 3D, Iron Man 3 has the benefit of 3D. I guess I just don't get this at all. That's what? 70% increase overall DOM from Thor 2 to Thor 3?

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Catching Fire was huge. Tons of people saw it. I was a phenomenon. It's possible that Justice League will not match it's number unadjusted DOM, let alone adjusted. Catching Fire is an action sci-fi blockbuster that was greeted with overwhelming critical acclaim. It's wasn't Beauty and the Beast. There was definitely overlap in the audience for Dark World and Catching Fire.

Maybe that why Dark world only did a 2.4x now you add all of what you just said and then understand that both films are CBM'S.

from my understanding a film doing 2.4x in November is actully horrible.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Thor has never had mass appeal imo. Hes boring in stand alone.

So, you agree with me, no? Or, you believe tossing in Hulk and Strange actually did give Thor 3 a potential $325M to $350M earner DOM with a more favorable release date as others here have argued? Maybe I'm in the minority here. I just don't see it.

I'm thinking Thor, Star, DH2, JL, and Coco might have some tough times during the holiday season with screens. There's going to be 8 wide release in the December 15th to 27th timeframe.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Why? Why would a greater increase than Iron Man 3 did over Iron Man 2? Remember, Iron Man 3 was first post-Avengers MCU flick and, while Iron Man 2 did not have 3D, Iron Man 3 has the benefit of 3D. I guess I just don't get this at all. That's what? 70% increase overall DOM from Thor 2 to Thor 3?

It really depended on Thors opening does it.

Lets not act like CW didn't open to almost 100mil more than TWS. And also added about 70% on its world wide boxoffice from TWS.

The 325-350 talk for Thor 3 is crazy. It is not hitting 300 especially with JL opening 2 weeks later. Even without JL it would have difficulty hitting 300. A 250 total Dom seems probable and would be a great result for a thor solo movie 

3 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Maybe that why Dark world only did a 2.4x now you add all of what you just said and then understand that both films are CBM'S.

from my understanding a film doing 2.4x in November is actully horrible.

It's important to note that The Dark World dropped 58% from its opening weekend to its second weekend. That's pretty steep, especially in November. Followed that up with another 61% drop when Catching Fire opened. Again, WOM played a part. General audience didn't really like that movie much.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Hulk can't even carry his own film, the idea that his teaming up with Thor will help the film explode makes no sense to me. 

I'm thinking $240M-$275M for domestic currently. I was saying in a barren August a triple teamup with Thor, Hulk, and Strange could have done big business maybe not $325M-$350M range which was a bold prediction. But maybe $300M.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's important to note that The Dark World dropped 58% from its opening weekend to its second weekend. That's pretty steep, especially in November. Followed that up with another 61% drop when Catching Fire opened. Again, WOM played a part. General audience didn't really like that movie much.

Your statement is precisely why I said Disney should move Thor as the drops for T3 could follow the same trends.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So, you agree with me, no? Or, you believe tossing in Hulk and Strange actually did give Thor 3 a potential $325M to $350M earner DOM with a more favorable release date as others here have argued? Maybe I'm in the minority here. I just don't see it.

250 tops imo

Just now, YourMother said:

I'm thinking $240M-$275M for domestic currently. I was saying in a barren August a triple teamup with Thor, Hulk, and Strange could have done big business maybe not $325M-$350M range which was a bold prediction. But maybe $300M.

I think the misunderstood what we were talking about.

2 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Many said the Sam about Wonder Woman and look at wher she stands as of now:redcapes:

Why would you use WW when comparing it to Thor?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

It really depended on Thors opening does it.

Lets not act like CW didn't open to almost 100mil more than TWS. And also added about 70% on its world wide boxoffice from TWS.

CW added every Avenger not named Thor and Hulk. It also added Spider-man and Black Panther. Come on, man. Is that really comparable? I'll give that I expect Ragnarok to gross somewhere between $245M DOM and $285M DOM because of the addition of Hulk and marketing that seemed to infuse some fun into what was previously marketed as kind of drab. But, this is not CW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I'm thinking Thor, Star, DH2, JL, and Coco might have some tough times during the holiday season with screens. There's going to be 8 wide release in the December 15th to 27th timeframe.

I agree (and throw in Murder on the Orient Express and Bad Moms 2) - the latest supers opener probably keeps Christmas (JL), but that's gonna be based on results.  Star vs Coco may end up as a split, or one will be fully gone, depending on performance.  DH2 will be gone.  BM2 and MOE will get a split if they perform well, but both likely gone if not. Thor, I can't imagine staying without a WW run...

I posted my screens expectation for the week of Christmas for 12s and Thor was not on my list...