WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I though you used mommy's credit card.

Nah, what I do is I get money that I earned from working/finding it/wherever the fuck, get enough to pay for the account, give it to my mom, and then use her credit card to pay so that I technically pay for it. :) 

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Nah, what I do is I get money that I earned from working/finding it/wherever the fuck, get enough to pay for the account, give it to my mom, and then use her credit card to pay so that I technically pay for it. :) 

Still can't think of a worse way for a teenager to use his money.

Just now, filmlover said:

47 Meters Down is gonna finish with almost 4x its opening despite a C Cinemascore grade. Heh.

Hollywood, take notes: We want more shark movies! MEG is a great first step, but we need more  :)

• Like 2

Wonder Woman (and other female led blockbusters) which are well reviewed tend to see good legs. Of course, WW is doing something almost unprecedented for a CBM now but the legs female led movies normally tend to have makes me wonder about the Ghostbusters reboot pretty much crashing for both a female led movie and a comedy.

Comedies tend to get 3x legs and female led movies do the same or better. Ghostbusters managed a 2.7 last year, by far the worst legs for a Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy movie. Bad Moms probably hurt it a bit but that is pretty low multiplier for that movie.

• Like 2

Just now, Brainbug said:

You can argue that SS had positive WOM from the GA. But MOS was certainly mixed and BvS was outright toxic.

Suicide Squad was equally mixed to Man of Steel. Its release date ultimately saved its ass. WB's go-to late July release making it the last mega-tentpole that year. It dominated the subsequent weekends by default. 

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wonder Woman (and other female led blockbusters) which are well reviewed tend to see good legs. Of course, WW is doing something almost unprecedented for a CBM now but the legs female led movies normally tend to have makes me wonder about the Ghostbusters reboot pretty much crashing for both a female led movie and a comedy.

Comedies tend to get 3x legs and female led movies do the same or better. Ghostbusters managed a 2.7 last year, by far the worst legs for a Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy movie. Bad Moms probably hurt it a bit but that is pretty low multiplier for that movie.

I expect Girls Trip will have a really good multiplier after a nearly $30M launch next weekend. It's looking to have great WOM (if reviews are any indication) and has zero in the way of competition for pretty much the rest of the summer.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I expect Girls Trip will have a really good multiplier after a nearly $30M launch next weekend. It's looking to have great WOM (if reviews are any indication) and has zero in the way of competition for pretty much the rest of the summer.

Girls Trip is becoming your Valerian :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Girls Trip is becoming your Valerian :lol: 

No, it's just amazing that people continue to underestimate an apparently good female-led comedy in a summer that's been completely barren for one (and for a comedy in general after Baywatch, The House, etc. all sputtered). I think it and Dunkirk (hopefully) are about to bring back Tomato Law.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

No, it's just amazing that people continue to underestimate an apparently good female-led comedy in a summer that's been completely barren for one (and for a comedy in general after Baywatch, The House, etc. all sputtered). I think it and Dunkirk (hopefully) are about to bring back Tomato Law.

I think you're overestimating how wide appealing the film is. Just look at how The Big Sick is performing. Rural areas probably aren't going to go for Girls Trip.

9 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Suicide Squad was equally mixed to Man of Steel. Its release date ultimately saved its ass. WB's go-to late July release making it the last mega-tentpole that year. It dominated the subsequent weekends by default. 

Your claim is debatable. 

Is there any evidence that August blockbusters tend to over-perform? If that was indeed the case, wouldn't Hollywood's accountants taken notice by now and behave accordingly? 

I think Suicide Squad rode the wave of hype around Harley Quinn and the Joker. Had it been a better film, it would have smashed through the $400M domestic barrier. I am certain of this.  

• Like 5