WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

8 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Pretty soon we all are gonna understand that these online scores sometimes isn't accurate to the film as much of them are Fanboy driven.

Spiderman+MCU+Ironman+95% should do better however we are stuck with many  saying that the last Spider-Man films screwed this one over when in reailty the film was just underwhelming to some.

Not really. I mean when this is the sixth Spider-Man movie in 15 years, even with Iron Man there has to be some fatigue. Sure only ASM2 was rotten but there was still a lot of people who didn't like ASM or SM3. But still a $117M/$300M performance ain't nothing to cry about. However the sequel will do better, they should move it from its current spot (opening the same day as Pets 2 and two weeks before Lion King doesn't bode well). I do agree we had expectations to high though.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

The Apes franchise underperforming is the definitive proof that audience doesn't give a damn about quality. They did everything right with this franhice, two great previous movies that were hits with both critics and audiences, they built an excitant hook for this new movie, it received great reviews, and it's the best movie of summer, and one of the best of year. But it still being ignored by a big part of the audiences. I'm pretty sure that the previous movies were liked by audiences only because of the VFX aspect. Urgh, it makes me want to throw up. So disappointing.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looking at Sundance acquisitions since 2011 (thanks for the charts, BOM), it's looking one of the bigger deals this decade (the top two, and by a nice margin, are Manchester by the Sea and Brooklyn with $47M and $38M respectively). If it legs it out to $45M+, I imagine they'll be very happy.

For Amazon, it's more of a incentive to have these titles for Prime and also making their mark as a indie studio 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The Apes franchise underperforming is the definitive proof that audience doesn't give a damn about quality. They did everything right with this franhice, two great previous movies that were hits with both critics and audiences, they built an excitant hook for this new movie, it received great reviews, and it's the best movie of summer, and one of the best of year. But it still being ignored by a big part of the audiences. I'm pretty sure that the previous movies were liked by audiences only because of the VFX aspect. Urgh, it makes me want to throw up. So disappointing.

The hook is debatable, it looked more of the same tbh but I agree with you. It's sad that that only superhero movies, certain animated films, Star Wars, and Live Action Remakes can do $200M+ domestically

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

What was the hook? Because it looked nearly identical to the last film to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Not really. I mean when this is the sixth Spider-Man movie in 15 years, even with Iron Man there has to be some fatigue. Sure only ASM2 was rotten but there was still a lot of people who didn't like ASM or SM3. But still a $117M/$300M performance ain't nothing to cry about. However the sequel will do better, they should move it from its current spot (opening the same day as Pets 2 and two weeks before Lion King doesn't bode well). I do agree we had expectations to high though.

The sequel will decrease. Novelty of Spidey in the MCU is over 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

iJack post anything about how that SMH Friday could still lead to a 55m weekend or something? I'm too lazy to look.

I think someone close to him has passed away so being on here is probably the last thing on his mind right now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

iJack post anything about how that SMH Friday could still lead to a 55m weekend or something? I'm too lazy to look.

15 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

I guess it's time for me to concede that Homecoming won't be able to reach $60m anymore. Anyways, that's still a good number. 

14 minutes ago, YourMother said:

So you are saying that 200,000 votes implies the entire country????

These votes are actuallly guys and women just Like me and you mostly. My mom ,Aunt.Uncle,Grandma isn't gonna in to that kind of stuff but they have seen every film we have discussed on this site.

Yes the logic can be used that this is Spiderman plus the MCU and it should be doing much better.

I know it's not fair to say this but in today's world If a reboot doesn't outgross its predecessors in every way then it's not a success .This is fanboy logic but it seems to be used elsewhere.

• Like 1

I saw Baby Driver. It was good, lots of action. Jamie Foxx played a bad guy, Jon Hamm play a good bad guy, and Kevin Spacey reused the same character that he played in "21". Instead of planning how to count cards he was planning on how to rob banks.
Nice little love story going on and the music was great.

9 out of 10 stars. Just because Spacey's character was not new.

Seeing Dawn later on today.

Edited by FilmBuff

18 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Hey, I loved the first two movies but I felt the title of this one sucks and the marketing material was extremely on the nose (Woody's dialogue in the trailers for instance). I am going to see the film tomorrow based on the WOM on this forum moreso than the critics raving about it, but I was prepared to skip this one in theaters if the WOM turned out to be as bad as the marketing material. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The sequel will decrease. Novelty of Spidey in the MCU is over 

Why are so many people so sure that the Homecoming sequel will increase (I am genuinely curious)? I don't think that Wonder Woman 2, despite the undeniably strong word-of-mouth of WW, will increase. I would love if it did, but I would not bet on it.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 4

The numbers of SM:H are to be expected, and I suspect that Iron Man was not such a draw this time out, because audiences were at an equal measure intrigued and annoyed by his prominent presence, at least on marketing. I know I was.

I am also trying to remember the "WOW" action scene, and the only things that comes to mind are Spiderman trying to lift the rubble and the presence of Zendaya, who tried to be quirky but came off as weird.

Edited by Xavier

Im thinking that Girls Trip will pull a Ted and do very good numbers. Now while it won't come anywhere close to that films total it does benefit from every other comedy film underperforming this summer just like Ted did in 2012. Plus it's universal and they usually do an excellent job marketing comedies 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

No, it's just amazing that people continue to underestimate an apparently good female-led comedy in a summer that's been completely barren for one (and for a comedy in general after Baywatch, The House, etc. all sputtered). I think it and Dunkirk (hopefully) are about to bring back Tomato Law.

Let's not sugarcoat it: people always underestimate films with predominantly black casts. Expressions like "will it play between the coasts?" "rural areas won't go for it" and "it's a niche film" are basically code for "white people don't like to see black movies." Which I believe is BS. 

• Like 10